SiouxSports.com Forum

NHL All-Star

bauer

Based on the season Toews does not deserve to be an all star. Parise does.

I agree with you on the Parise part. But I think Toews does deserve to be an all star.

1) Youngest captain in the NHL. His responsibilities include 19 other guys plus his personal production.

2) He's already won 2 games in shootouts, and is 4 of 5 overall in shootouts, leading the NHL in goals.

3) On faceoffs, Toews is #2 (of the top 30) in the NHL on win %. Extra possessions ... easier PP, easier PK.

Now for the superficial fans who only look at goals, they may not vote for him. But I would.

I agree with you on the Parise part. But I think Toews does deserve to be an all star.

1) Youngest captain in the NHL. His responsibilities include 19 other guys plus his personal production.

2) He's already won 2 games in shootouts, and is 4 of 5 overall in shootouts, leading the NHL in goals.

3) On faceoffs, Toews is #2 (of the top 30) in the NHL on win %. Extra possessions ... easier PP, easier PK.

Now for the superficial fans who only look at goals, they may not vote for him. But I would.

I agree. Toews brings a lot to the ice whether he scores goals or not. It's my general belief that good players have the x-factor, and he definitely does. He's just good... and that's an understatement.

I don't think he is a good two way player but is a goal scorer no doubt

Actually, compared to how he was at UMN, he is definitely a good two way player.

Vanek never played defense E-V-E-R while he was in Minnesota. He sat on the blue line and cherry picked. It always blew my mind why Lucia would put Vanek out on the PK at all. I guess he really had faith in Weber (grrr... I think that's what the goalie's name was...).

Koivu vs. Backstrom. Um... Both are deserving, but if I had to choose one, I'd choose Backstrom. He's been dominant and one of the reasons the Wild are where they are in the division. The problem is that the entire team is defense oriented and that hurts Backstrom because of the same reasoning that had non-Sioux fans questioning why JPar and JPL were so good with the Sioux: With great D in front of you, how good do you have to be?

Koivu is a great choice because, in an offensively challenged system, he brings offense... and it stands out BIG TIME.

Seriously, Gaborik gets injured and the team doesn't bat an eye. Koivu goes down and then it's the Backstrom show as the Wild will have to rely on the opposition playing poorly or winning by scoring 1-2 goals per game. Neither is a likely prospect vs. good teams.

Toews vs. Parise- Ok, it's not coming down to that, but seriously... I don't think Toews will make it. A Captain needs to lead in all areas. He's apparently doing pretty well in most areas on and off the ice (I don't get to watch much Blackhawk hockey as they still don't broadcast their games on Versus or even the NHL Network), but he's seriously regressed in the goal scoring department. He is the youngest captain, which parrallels who he has been compared to the most: Steve Yzerman, but I just don't think most fan voters look at faceoff percentage and captain duties as something that gets you into the all star game. I think most are just stat monkeys. Ergo, Toews won't make the All Star Game.

I think locks in various categories include the Poster Boy (Crosby), Parise, Luongo, Semin, Ovechkin, maybe Versteeg* and Brassard, Price, Weber, either Sharp or Kane, MAYBE Lundqvist, and others I'm surely forgetting.

Brodeur would have made it if he hadn't gotten injured.

* It's kinda sad but... if my memory serves me right, I believe Versteeg was the guy Boston traded to Chicago for Brandon Bochenski. Now he's tied for the league lead in goals among rookies with Brassard.

Vanek is lazyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy...at least he was with University of Minnesota - Twin Cities Gofers...no way was he WCHA rookie of the year...there, I got that off my chest...continue discussion please...

Buffalo has been on the NHL Network a lot this season and I can tell you that the Vanek I'm seeing this year is absolutely positively NOT UMN's Vanek. He is a lot better. No, I'm not going to see his name on the Selke Trophy anytime soon, but he's not a defensive liability either.

Buffalo has been on the NHL Network a lot this season and I can tell you that the Vanek I'm seeing this year is absolutely positively NOT UMN's Vanek. He is a lot better. No, I'm not going to see his name on the Selke Trophy anytime soon, but he's not a defensive liability either.

He Is a defensive liability but Ruff puts him out there because he is a goal scorer

Some players specialize in defense, while others specialize in offense. Only a select few are truly great two way players. I always have to laugh when people label Vanek as a "defensive liability", because you never hear about how Brooks Orpik is an "offensive liability". Vanek is great at what he's put out there to do, and some people apparently feel like they have to dislike him based on what school he attended. Seems rather petty to me. :glare:

I don't know. I remember back to elementary school gym when we played Basketball where there was always one kid who sat back and waited behind everyone for a breakaway pass... you know, cherry-picking? Many of us hated it then and my feelings certainly haven't changed.

No, Vanek isn't a Federov (in his prime) or even a mediocre 2-way forward. He's an offensively minded player who is taking small steps towards improving his defensive play. He'll never be a great or perhaps even a good 2 way forward, but he's not really lazy like he was with UMN anyways. Lucia tolerated it. Ruff and Rochester (AHL)'s coach didn't tolerate it at all.

Re Vanek - I just think that you have to be good on both ends to finish an NHL season at +47. (You also have to play a lot with some good players and matchups.) What I've seen on Versus suggests he's no longer a defensive liability.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/teams/stats?...=0&type=reg

And as DaveK says, some coaches will let guys get away with playing just one end, while others don't.

I disagree. Both Vanek and Parise are GREAT NHL players and are the offensive leaders of their respective teams. I am proud of both of them. I agree with the comments that Vanek is no longer a defensive liability. He most certainly is not. He is among the elite players in the NHL. Hated him wearing maroon and gold, with the green glasses off he is an excellent, excellent player.

A side note is that Phil Kessel is scoring goals like a wild man too.

Vanek, Parise, Kessel, Toews, Ballard, Martin, Greene, Commodore, Blake, Goligoski, Zajac, Stastny, Pavelski, Niskanen: Doing the WCHA proud!

A side note is that Phil Kessel is scoring goals like a wild man too.

Vanek, Parise, Kessel, Toews, Ballard, Martin, Greene, Commodore, Blake, Goligoski, Zajac, Stastny, Pavelski, Niskanen: Doing the WCHA proud!

Kessel is playing on the top line in Boston, the Bruins are also the best team in the east right now and dismantled the REDWINGS the other night.

Blake got two assists in the loss for the Make me laughs. :glare: Yeah the "W" is kicking some butt in the NHL right now.

Kessel is playing on the top line in Boston, the Bruins are also the best team in the east right now and dismantled the REDWINGS the other night.

Blake got two assists in the loss for the Make me laughs. :glare: Yeah the "W" is kicking some butt in the NHL right now.

I'm no Boston fan, but if they want to continue to dismantle the Redwings, I'd be okay with that.

The Red Wings are not infallible. Unfortunately, our defense isn't very good in our own zone and Osgood is showing this year, FINALLY, just how overrated he really is. Oh wait. He already showed that while with the Islanders and...IIRC the Blues?

Who cares. Whatever it is, Detroit better be careful or they'll be in the realm of Colorado in the goaltending department.

I really like Conklin as a backup. However, Osgood is not a great goaltender. Good, yes. Great? No.

By the way, he really is the poster child of what happens to a goaltender when the team in front of him is dominant on a consistent basis.

I know this is kind of off topic, but, does everyone think that Ryan Duncan will play in the NHL? Or not? If so for who?

Sorry if there is an obvious answer that I just don't know. Thanks in advance.

i would say no, he will be a minor leaguer IMO. hes a hell of a college player and has a hobey which is unbelievable but i see him a ahl player for a long time with maybe a shot here and there at the show or a overseas player. either way he will do well and make himself a nice pro hockey career.