Recruiting

SooToo

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Schuler taking D-I full ride at N. Dakota

Josh Schuler is taking his basketball career to the University of North Dakota after his high school playing days are over.

Schuler, the 2008 Springfield News-Sun All-Area Player of the Year, verbally accepted a full scholarship to attend the Grand Forks, N.D., Division I school on Wednesday, Sept. 17.

Schuler can't officially sign with the school until November.

"They offered everything I wanted," Schuler said. "It seemed like a great opportunity for me, and I didn't want to pass it up."

Does anyone know anything about him?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'll start with an apology...this may look off topic but thought you'd want to know: As you know, Griffith Callahan left UND last year to join his brother Garrett, at South Dakota State University. He was eligible 12/21/08. Tonight he started for the Jackrabbits against Iowa State at Hilton Colliseum in Ames. And he was great. SDSU 65, Iowa State 58.

You're recruiting the right guys. They just don't stick all the time...every D-I basketball program will attest to that. We're feeling pretty lucky having Griff on the Jackrabbit squad right now.

I'll start with an apology...this may look off topic but thought you'd want to know: As you know, Griffith Callahan left UND last year to join his brother Garrett, at South Dakota State University. He was eligible 12/21/08. Tonight he started for the Jackrabbits against Iowa State at Hilton Colliseum in Ames. And he was great. SDSU 65, Iowa State 58.

You're recruiting the right guys. They just don't stick all the time...every D-I basketball program will attest to that. We're feeling pretty lucky having Griff on the Jackrabbit squad right now.

First, congratulations on the win against Iowa State. Second, his name is Griffan not Griffith. Lastly, I'm glad that he didn't "stick" with UND.

From what I recall he wanted to go to SDSU, but waited too long and Nagy filled the spot with someone else. So he commits to UND, lasts one semester and quits. On the way out the door he makes snide comments about Jones. Sounds like he either has some growing up to do or just a bad egg. For Griffan's sake I hope he just has some growing up to do. It has been my observation that employers will put up with talented people with bad attitudes for only so long and then kick them to the curb.

BTW, just checked the box score and find that while Griffan did have 3 steals, he scored 0 points in 31 minutes. He must be known more for his defensive skills.

Congrats to SDSU on their win.

First, congratulations on the win against Iowa State. Second, his name is Griffan not Griffith. Lastly, I'm glad that he didn't "stick" with UND.

From what I recall he wanted to go to SDSU, but waited too long and Nagy filled the spot with someone else. So he commits to UND, lasts one semester and quits. On the way out the door he makes snide comments about Jones. Sounds like he either has some growing up to do or just a bad egg. For Griffan's sake I hope he just has some growing up to do. It has been my observation that employers will put up with talented people with bad attitudes for only so long and then kick them to the curb.

BTW, just checked the box score and find that while Griffan did have 3 steals, he scored 0 points in 31 minutes. He must be known more for his defensive skills.

Congrats to SDSU on their win.

Well said - that is my understanding of the situation as well! I know the coaching staff was confused and hurt by some of the comments he made as he left!

I also congratulate SDSU on a big win!

Geaux Sioux, googled Josh Schuler and this is what I found. 2nd team all-ohio last year as a junior with an average of 20 pts/game. Also averaged 20 pts/game as a sophomore. Led Graham to a 26-0 record before losing in the state semi-final game last year. Conference player of the year, District 9 player of the year, County player of the year and more. Just became the schools all time leading scorer (over 1250 points) and all time 3 pointers made. Also read he is the career steal leader on defense. Just scored 41 in last game. Alot of articles if you google him.

Wouldn't surprise me if Griffith is a good player, Garrett is quite the player. We were able to talk with his dad for about an hour before the SDSU/Gopher game, they seem like great people and last year Garrett had 28 or 29 when they almost beat us.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
McDermott skips team flight to Lawrence
On Tuesday, McDermott found a way to almost be in two places at once. While the Iowa State basketball team left for its Wednesday night game at Kansas on Tuesday afternoon, McDermott stuck around Ames to watch Doug, a junior at Ames High, score 16 points in the Little Cyclones’ 97-49 win against Johnston.......McDermott wasn’t the only one on hand to watch his son play. University of North Dakota assistant basketball coach Bryan Martin also attended the game, presumably to check out Doug’s progress.

Graham seniors go out in style

Schuler had 16 of his game-high 40 points in the first quarter as the Falcons beat Northwestern 101-41 in Central Buckeye Conference Mad River Division action

It's unanimous: Graham boys are No. 1 in Division II

Their success starts with a strong senior class. Josh Schuler leads the area in scoring (averaging 23.7 points per game)...

Looks like UND got a steal getting this Schuler kid from Ohio. With the current red shirt freshman class and next years class things could be looking very good in the years to come. Looks like the coaching staff has done a great job of recruiting these kids.

I agree. We seem to be hearing a lot about the redshirts but I try to temper my excitment by remembering that they have yet to play in a DI game.

McDermott: Like Father, Like Son

When Doug McDermott arrived for his freshman season at Ames High, he was 6-foot-nothing and stick-skinny. He was a good shooter, so it seemed certain he’d one day help the Little Cyclones on the wing.

His dad knew better.

“Doug was really small,” Ames High basketball coach Vance Downs said. “The only thing that led us to believe he was going to have some growth spurts was his dad kept saying, ‘That’s exactly what I looked like at his age.’

Now a junior, Doug is growing into the player his father predicted all along. At 6-foot-7 he’s moved to the post, ...

A big part of that job is recruiting, and Doug is starting to get a taste of that. Albany and South Dakota offered him scholarships. Suddenly the piles of mail Greg and his staffs have shipped to 20 years worth of recruits are arriving at the McDermotts’ home.

Greg says he pays attention to how Doug reacts to different correspondences, and has found that some of the tactics coaches think work don’t always play well with his own teenager.

Greg took Doug on an unofficial visit to South Dakota. Other than that, Doug’s recruitment will take a backseat until the Little Cyclones’ season is over. There are rumors Doug might even walk on at Iowa State, but both father and son say it’s too soon to tell if that will be the right fit.

“Where we really see his high IQ is in his ability to make plays,” Downs said. “He constantly has such a terrific feel for the game, he ends up where the ball is going to end up and finds open areas where he can score.”