SiouxSports.com Forum

Sports Marketing

UND'er

Technically, even though they suck, Minnesota is on par with Notre Dame and USC. They're Division I. Oklahoma and Miami are also at the same level. Even Duke, who is a joke and probably couldn't beat half the teams in I-AA, is at that level. They're technically on par with Notre Dame and USC.

We (UND and NDSU) are not. We're I-AA. That is technically correct according to the original terminology applied to the divisions (aka subdivisions). To imply that Division I and I-AA football teams are all at the same level is misleading and technically incorrect. Be secure with your team competing at the 2nd highest level of college football and stop trying to pretend they're competing at the highest level.

I'm not talking about academics and all athletics, I'm talking about football specifically. The only other college sport I care about is hockey, and they have teams from all divisions competing in D1. I'm not interested in discussing bounceyball, volleyball, golf, soccer, or any of those other lesser publicized sports.

By the way, what do your favorite sports have to do with NCAA nomenclature? Does the NCAA check with you and inquire about your favorite sports before they make nomenclature decisions? I'm glad to you shared your favorites with the board, but it's not relevant to the discussion, and technically academics is very relavant to the discussion.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loyal DI FCS fans who support the best interests of DI FCS do not use the wrong nomenclature.

Sure, maybe the loyal fans support the name.

But It's tough to get the point across when the major sports network, as well as many other newspapers, websites, etc. have continually mocked the name of the particular division and made the name a joke in many references.

We may get the loyal fans, but we won't introduce many new fans with this going on IMO.

There was a quad-fold flier in Sunday's edition of The Forum. I found it interesting that there isn't any direct reference to division 1. There is only the superimposed '1' on the 'we are North Dakota". Now, keeping in mind this isn't an ad in the sports section, or a commercial during a sporting event, I would question omitting some type of reference to the fact that the track, cross country, volleyball, football, etc. are now division 1 competitors. I think the reader may simply think this is just the new tag line and this year is business as usual. Again, the sports section reader will already know all about the move up, but I wonder if someone who isn't as into the sports scene will have those details.

FightingSioux.com launches Sioux media appearance page

We at UND athletics and FightingSioux.com know that you, the fans, love to hear from our student-athletes and coaches. That is why we've created the "On the Air: Sioux media appearances" page, a one-stop list of all radio, television and web chat appearances by your favorite Sioux players and coaches.

Below is the up-to-date version on the media appearance list, but keep checking the "On the Air: Sioux media appearances" page, which will be updated regularly with radio, television and Internet appearances from around the nation.

I just checked and it looks like the 1440 site in under construction. I hope they pod cast and stream in the future.

That site has been "under construction" for the past 4 years. :silly::silly: If you want podcasting and streaming audio of other than actual game broadcasts, you'd better hope that UND dumps Clear Channel.

Speaking of marketing, anybody know which football games will be televised this year? I see our D-1 neighbors to the south will have 5 on the tube.

There was a discrepancy between the number of televised games last year as well. I would think remedying that would be part of the overall marketing plan, but I've heard nothing specific either.

There was a discrepancy between the number of televised games last year as well. I would think remedying that would be part of the overall marketing plan, but I've heard nothing specific either.

I may be wrong on this, but I thought I remember hearing that two games would be televised on FSSN this season. I think they announced that when they announced the other broadcast details.

I may be wrong on this, but I thought I remember hearing that two games would be televised on FSSN this season. I think they announced that when they announced the other broadcast details.

From a hockey thread:

One of the posters here emailed Pat Sweeney at WDAZ yesterday and got the following immediate response.

We have reached agreement on a one-year extension of the current contract, so it takes us only through the 2008-09 school year. All home men's hockey games will be televised, along with two road men's hockey games, and one home men's football game.

Time to buy the systems and get them installed, although for fixed system buyers/owners, the satellite is still unknown.

Televise 1 or 2 road games statewide! If WDAZ, FOX, etc can't get the advertising money, use a DI fund at UND to foot the bill and advertise UND during every break. The exposure will be great, spend money to make money. I am against televising more than 1 home game, as it hurts attendence.

That site has been "under construction" for the past 4 years. :silly::silly: If you want podcasting and streaming audio of other than actual game broadcasts, you'd better hope that UND dumps Clear Channel.

The schools needs to put pressure on them to get this done.

Televise 1 or 2 road games statewide! If WDAZ, FOX, etc can't get the advertising money, use a DI fund at UND to foot the bill and advertise UND during every break. The exposure will be great, spend money to make money. I am against televising more than 1 home game, as it hurts attendence.

I didn't always, but now I disagree with you on that point. As long as the program doesn't suck (in which case there would be many problems to fix before marketing) I would televise every home game if I could. It's like marketing any product (again, this doesn't apply to a crappy product)-in the long run, the more people are exposed to your product, the more people will want to be associated with it. That not only means more tickets sold, but more giving as well.

I didn't always, but now I disagree with you on that point. As long as the program doesn't suck (in which case there would be many problems to fix before marketing) I would televise every home game if I could. It's like marketing any product (again, this doesn't apply to a crappy product)-in the long run, the more people are exposed to your product, the more people will want to be associated with it. That not only means more tickets sold, but more giving as well.

I see that side of it also...I just know it would hurt attendence, and if a statewide audience sees a half full Alerus, it can't help. For a product like hockey, where all home games are televised, the arena still easily sells out, so it works for that. I really see both sides and am not sure what the answer is. You are probably right that statewide TV, in the long run, will help the program out.

Here is a better idea: get the FSSN HDTV cameras for hockey and the few football and basketball games. How many schools our size would have their own HD channel?

I see that side of it also...I just know it would hurt attendence, and if a statewide audience sees a half full Alerus, it can't help. For a product like hockey, where all home games are televised, the arena still easily sells out, so it works for that. I really see both sides and am not sure what the answer is. You are probably right that statewide TV, in the long run, will help the program out.

Here is a better idea: get the FSSN HDTV cameras for hockey and the few football and basketball games. How many schools our size would have their own HD channel?

There is a portion of fans who will stay home, true enough. But again, as the excitement builds in year 2...3...4, the base of season ticket holders increases and my experiece with that group is that they don't pay for season tickets to stay home and watch it on TV. Don't forget too that the walk up gate number would tend to increase in the long run as well. This region has more than enough people to sell out the Alerus, and still have plenty of butts on the couch making the advertisers money. Now, whether or not the administration will profit directly from the broadcast is up for debate. But, that kind of exposure can bring bigger profits with more foundation giving.

The HD idea would be the icing on the cake.