SiouxSports.com Forum

Sports Marketing

UND'er

I live in the Fargo area but I am curious as to whether there is any GF and/or statewide marketing going on yet for fall sports such as football? I see that the Bison program has started their big push. Is it just me or does it appear that we lack an aggressive marketing campaign? We need to fill the Alerus this fall and build the excitement surrounding the football program. Anyone have some thoughts ?

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in the Fargo area but I am curious as to whether there is any GF and/or statewide marketing going on yet for fall sports such as football? I see that the Bison program has started their big push. Is it just me or does it appear that we lack an aggressive marketing campaign? We need to fill the Alerus this fall and build the excitement surrounding the football program. Anyone have some thoughts ?

You have seen your home schedule right?

If you can sell tickets to Montana Tech (how bout them Orediggers!), then we should be able to sell tickets to UW-La Crosse. Your athletic department hyped your football team as the greatest thing since sliced bread in your first couple of years even if the schedule strength didn't match the rhetoric. That is what our athletic department should be doing right now.

I am sick of our athletic department focusing on hockey and nothing else. Now that we are moving up to D-I, we can't do that anymore. We will have to promote the health of all of our athletic programs or else this move won't work.

If you can sell tickets to Montana Tech (how bout them Orediggers!), then we should be able to sell tickets to UW-La Crosse. Your athletic department hyped your football team as the greatest thing since sliced bread in your first couple of years even if the schedule strength didn't match the rhetoric. That is what our athletic department should be doing right now.

I am sick of our athletic department focusing on hockey and nothing else. Now that we are moving up to D-I, we can't do that anymore. We will have to promote the health of all of our athletic programs or else this move won't work.

I think the whole point here is that there are some very strong positives to playing teams that we have never played before. This is regardless of their stature. It is exciting to see what other teams can bring to the field. Naturally, as we advance along the years, the fans will want to see the level of competition grow but let's not wait until the future to pack the Alerus. I live in Fargo and went to some early Bison games. I think people want to see what the transition is all about so we need to market to them and get them to the games.

Agree wholeheartedly with the previous posters. NDSU hyped a D-I game against Valpo as if it were the Rose Bowl, and has managed to significantly boost attendance. SDSU has similarly experienced an attendance surge through the transition. The excitement around a D-I transition and new opponents presents a rare opportunity that UND can't let go unexploited.

No question D-I hockey will remain the big moneymaker and attendance-grabber for the school for the foreseeable future, but UND needs to leverage that success and fanbase to draw attention to its new D-I sports. Hockey may have the largest revenue, but IAA/FCS football and D-I basketball have the largest growth potential; don't kill the goose laying the golden eggs, but don't ignore the growth opportunities, either.

Even a Bison troll, like a blind squirrel, stumbles on to an acorn once in a while.

As BD infers, sometimes your schedule is not your strongest asset when transioning to FCS/Div. 1. But the inconvenience of an opponent with no scholarship players didn't deter the AC from packing in the local rubes for its "first division one game" in football, a predictable pasting of Valparaiso (sp?). Marketing was the key.

Love 'em or hate 'em, there's no denying the Bision have done it the right way through the transition, and aggressive marketing has played no small part in their success. In the Fargo area, billboards are everywhere and radio and TV advertising runs nearly year-round. They've purchased airtime and taken over their own production to get coverage to as many areas as possible.

Some here have said its all about winning; put a successful team on the floor/field and the fans will keep coming. Winning is a given; nobody thrives without winning except maybe the Chicago Cubs -- and Fighting Irish football.

But as UND moves into the transition, aggressive marketing is crucial to sell our teams to an expanding potential audience. We need an aggressive advertising campaign for football now. We need STATEWIDE radio coverage for multiple teams. We need expanded TV coverage for football and basketball on FSSN, as well as a campaign -- again with advertising -- to let fans know when and where those games are available.

The cost may be considerable, but this is an investment in long-term success, not just a short-term expense. I'm with you. UND'er; it's time to get rolling.

I agree UND should market more and market better. There are numerous things UND should be doing when it comes to marketing, including utilizing FSSN much more than it currently does. But let's drop the marketing comparisons to NDSU in their first year in DI. It was much easier for NDSU to market its first DI season. NDSU had four DI opponents on its home schedule. Yes, one was non-scholarship, but it was DI nonetheless. It's kind of hard for UND to market DI when there is only one DI game on its home schedule.

I think you'd get more bang for your marketing buck by ensuring that a couple of the away games get televised and then market the heck out of them.

Just because our home schedules aren't completely made up of all DI schools isn't a reason you don't advertise the teams and try to get people to the games. If this move to DI is ever going to be remotely successful the administration has to get UND fans excited about the future and get them to games to support the teams. And we as Sioux fans need to realize what the transition is really about and show up for games for all of our teams and show them our support.

The biggest battle UND will be fighting is the fact that there will be a full fledged and playoff eligible university playing in the toughest conference in the nation just 70 miles south of you. That is what Kuppy and RT cost UND by not moving upwith the Bison. It was a much easier sell for NDSU because it was the only DI game in the state..........

The biggest battle UND will be fighting is the fact that there will be a full fledged and playoff eligible university playing in the toughest conference in the nation just 70 miles south of you.

When NDSU transitioned, it managed to build excitement around unknown I-AA teams coming to town while being just 70 miles away from a recent D-II national champion playing in the toughest conference in D-II and being competitive in the playoffs annually. It did so by convincing Fargoans that it was an exciting time to be an NDSU fan.

There's no doubt UND can't play the "I-AA/FCS in N.D. for the first time" card that NDSU did, but I don't think that's what we're talking about. I'm talking about building excitement among the faithful about this big transition in UND athletics history. Let people who are already predisposed to be Sioux fans know that there's a new coach, new division, new opponents, and that it's an exciting and important time to support the team and be a Sioux fan.

Now, I do think in the long run it's a smart strategy to try to attract more neutral North Dakotans who already have some interest in UND because they follow its D-I hockey success, but we all already know that marketing only goes so far and that a winning product would be a big key to that equation. Just because we can't control the latter yet is no reason to abdicate on the former.

When NDSU transitioned, it managed to build excitement around unknown I-AA teams coming to town while being just 70 miles away from a recent D-II national champion playing in the toughest conference in D-II and being competitive in the playoffs annually. It did so by convincing Fargoans that it was an exciting time to be an NDSU fan.

There's no doubt UND can't play the "I-AA/FCS in N.D. for the first time" card that NDSU did, but I don't think that's what we're talking about. I'm talking about building excitement among the faithful about this big transition in UND athletics history. Let people who are already predisposed to be Sioux fans know that there's a new coach, new division, new opponents, and that it's an exciting and important time to support the team and be a Sioux fan.

Now, I do think in the long run it's a smart strategy to try to attract more neutral North Dakotans who already have some interest in UND because they follow its D-I hockey success, but we all already know that marketing only goes so far and that a winning product would be a big key to that equation. Just because we can't control the latter yet is no reason to abdicate on the former.

I do think that to develop and fund a DI program, UND needs more than the faithful. UND needs to deepen its fan base for Football and Basketball. That task is made more difficult by the success at NDSU. And....I do agree totally that UND has to significantly ratchet up the marketing if the Alerus is going to ever sell out. Also....tailgating and tailgating atmosphere is huge in development of a football following. I think that a huge part of the reason I will fly back to Fargo for a ball game is the fun that is had at the tailgates and seeing the latest and greatest tailgate rigs. Tailgating is a huge part of the DI sales job.

I have been tailgating at both UND and NDSU in the last couple years. UND is still the leader in atmosphere and tailgating in general. We have been doing it for a lot of years. Our tailgating atmosphere took years to develop. It didn't happen over night. NDSU tailgating is better than it used to be but it is still a ways behind UND.

Just because our home schedules aren't completely made up of all DI schools isn't a reason you don't advertise the teams and try to get people to the games. If this move to DI is ever going to be remotely successful the administration has to get UND fans excited about the future and get them to games to support the teams. And we as Sioux fans need to realize what the transition is really about and show up for games for all of our teams and show them our support.

I didn't mean to imply UND shouldn't advertise their home games. Of course getting people to go to the games is very important regardless of the division of the opponents. I was suggesting, however, that I think a better investment of marketing dollars could be spent airing away games against DI opponents like Southern Illinois and Idaho State. That would generate the DI excitement that simply can not be generated by the home schedule.

But, of course, all we'll get is one televised home game.

http://forum.siouxsports.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=345365

NDSU was able to market their football program in the move to I-AA, IMHO, because of the fact that they don't have a team in a higher profile sport like D1 hockey to draw attention away from their football program. So, because we have another sport to follow, we can't put all of our eggs in one basket like they did with football. However, because we are the flagship school of our state and seem to have a stronger all-sport following, I think that we still have an excellent opportunity to once again steal the spotlight away from our pesky little brothers once we complete the transitional period. Now is the time to start promoting football hard and heavy. If they can sell their fans on a game against a cupcake like Valpo, we certainly should be able to sell our fans on games against quality competition such as SCSU and Texas A&M-Kingsville. Who cares if they're classified as D2 or I-AA? A good team is a good team no matter what division they're currently competing in.

Dave, I don't typically agree with you, but you hit the nail on the head with level of competition. Using division nomenclature, the Bison had a better year I schedule. Competition-wise, I believe UND and NDSU's 1st year schedules are nearly identical. To the UND fans: don't let this bison rhetoric disuade you from going to UND games this fall. We need butts in the stands now more than ever during this transition. By the way, anyone else think a game featuring UW Lacrosse and Valpo would result in a UW victory? I sure do.

Who cares if they're classified as D2 or I-AA? A good team is a good team no matter what division they're currently competing in.

2007 results

SCSU 4-7

TX AM Kingsville 3-8

Listen, I don't really care, but let's not get carried away with these two teams. I think we all know scheduling is tough right out of the gate, it is what it is and you make the best of it. Enjoy the new teams coming into GF and support your team is the best advice I could give, not that anyone is asking, but I'll toss it out there anyway.

They may not have been as strong in '07 as they had been in previous years, but I still have little doubt that they'd have their way with the '04 Valpo squad. My point was that if NDSU can promote a cupcake like Valpo as the most anticipated game in Bison history then surely UND should be able to market a game against a perennial D2 contender as a game worth attending.

Well according to everyone on this site Fargo Oak Grove could get a win against Valpo so I'm sure in your mind that both said schools would hang at least 50 on Valpo. If bringing up Valpo makes you feel better, please continue to do so, go with what works for you. I'm not going to try and tell you they were an outstanding or even an OK team, they weren't, but it was a big deal becasue it was the beginning of NDSU's transition, one that has gone pretty well although some said it would fail. :D

I agree Dave, UND should promote the hell out of all their games be it a FCS, FBS, DII, DIII or NAIA. Hell I remember going to the Montana Tech game, I didn't care who NDSU was playing, I just wanted to go to a game. By the way, since when is SCSU a perennial D2 contender? Kingsville, not so sure about that either, but it doesn't matter, just go to the damn games.

I think you just made the same point that others are trying to make. UND can't try to advertise what a tough home schedule they have this season. So just like NDSU did when some of their home competition wasn't the greatest, UND needs to market the idea of the entire DI transition and get people excited about it. That way they will still show up when games won't necessarily be against the greatest competition.

In answer to the initial question. No, UND isn't doing anything.

Schedule doesn't matter, you sell the program. The AC did a great job of marketing for their atheltics and fans bought into the experience no matter who they played. They then used the same marketing firm to sell the school. It has worked and they have good crowds at FB no matter who they play and they are getting kids to go to school there no matter what the major is.

Two things that I would not agree with. One, although I am a UND hockey fan, UND's hockey should have nothing to do with whether or not marketing of all sports wouldn't be successful. The AC marketing would have done well and been successful even if they did have D1 hockey. The other is whether UND and NDSU are really D1 in FB. D1AA or BCS is not big time FB. They should both be going one step higher so they are both really D1. The Bison guy is right in that we are behind by not moving when they did, but we were both late. We both should have moved back in the 1970's when they started D1AA.

UND needs leadership and needs to get off the schnide (whatever that is). The failure of UND to market atheltics is a reflection on the leadership in athletics, the presidents office and the alumni office. The failure to market the University is a reflection of the leadership in the president's office and the alumni office. When all is said and done, it is very clear to me more is said than done.

Regardless of the ability of their football team, Valpo is a DI school while UWLax is a DIII school. In 2004 Valpo's NCAA basketball success solidified their reputation as a DI school. It did not take a marketing genius to fill the Fargodome for a game against Valpo, even though everyone knows they are non-scholly, and I was not dumb enough to think it would be a close game.

For marketing purposes, ND would be wise to bring in non-scholly DI's vs. DIII's if possible. Usually the DI non's are looking for a high profile game to possibly get a shot at the FCS playoffs if they can run the undeafeated table ala San Diego the last few years. Bringing in the Butlers, Daytons, and Drakes would be a good move compared to DIII's, regardless of which is the better team.

Valpo was NDSU's first DI football game. The skill of their team did not change that fact. Nice move by the AD, and a nice full house. I don't think I would have made the 5 hour drive for a DIII.

NDSU was able to market their football program in the move to I-AA, IMHO, because of the fact that they don't have a team in a higher profile sport like D1 hockey to draw attention away from their football program. So, because we have another sport to follow, we can't put all of our eggs in one basket like they did with football. However, because we are the flagship school of our state and seem to have a stronger all-sport following, I think that we still have an excellent opportunity to once again steal the spotlight away from our pesky little brothers once we complete the transitional period. Now is the time to start promoting football hard and heavy. If they can sell their fans on a game against a cupcake like Valpo, we certainly should be able to sell our fans on games against quality competition such as SCSU and Texas A&M-Kingsville. Who cares if they're classified as D2 or I-AA? A good team is a good team no matter what division they're currently competing in.

The Flagship school :D

I agree about the football program angle, it is hard to sell the other sports when they play screwed up schedules and don't have a conference. In fact it has taken a few years just to get the basketball program to the point where it is worth promoting.

In answer to the initial question. No, UND isn't doing anything.

Schedule doesn't matter, you sell the program. The AC did a great job of marketing for their atheltics and fans bought into the experience no matter who they played. They then used the same marketing firm to sell the school. It has worked and they have good crowds at FB no matter who they play and they are getting kids to go to school there no matter what the major is.

Two things that I would not agree with. One, although I am a UND hockey fan, UND's hockey should have nothing to do with whether or not marketing of all sports wouldn't be successful. The AC marketing would have done well and been successful even if they did have D1 hockey. The other is whether UND and NDSU are really D1 in FB. D1AA or BCS is not big time FB. They should both be going one step higher so they are both really D1. The Bison guy is right in that we are behind by not moving when they did, but we were both late. We both should have moved back in the 1970's when they started D1AA.

UND needs leadership and needs to get off the schnide (whatever that is). The failure of UND to market atheltics is a reflection on the leadership in athletics, the presidents office and the alumni office. The failure to market the University is a reflection of the leadership in the president's office and the alumni office. When all is said and done, it is very clear to me more is said than done.

Schedule doesn't matter, you sell the program

This says it all. It doesn't matter who is on the schedule for the move up. YOU SELL IT!!!! Period. That's what the marketing people are paid to do. It didn't matter that Valpo sucked in football because they sold it. But, I think it is too early to start the big push for football. If we are still wondering what the ad campaign will look like in August, there will be a big reason to gripe.