SiouxSports.com Forum

Future Schedules

dakotadan

Thanks for clarifying the transition rule... I should've read back in the thread a bit to see that.

I like where UND is going w/ the FBS games we have in the next few years. Obviously, Faison is using his WAC connections. Hopefully we can also get some Mountain West games outta it as well, as most of them are former WAC members, along w/ a few Conference USA teams that were in the WAC. UND should be able to compete w/ many of these teams. I don't like the idea of going to "body bag" games against upper level SEC, Big 10, Big 12 teams, just yet. Maybe after our transition is over. I do understand the big paychecks always are enticing & we did hold our own against TT. But I'd like to see these kept to a minimum for the next few years. Although some of the lower teams from FCS-bid Conferences would be great. But, the Alabama's, Ohio State's, etc just don't seem realistic right now to me.

If it's true that SDSU & UND both have Nov. 20th open next yr, then let's make it happen. 2 for 1, 1 & done, I don't care as long as we get a 2011 game.

I agree. However, I think we should take any game with a Big Ten team that's available to us. Looking at the Big Ten's performance against I-AA, WAC, and Mountain West teams it's apparent that not even the top end schools (Ohio State, Wisconsin, Iowa) would be much better than squads from less regarded conferences.

Another CAA has dropped by the wayside.

Hofstra

Hate to see these programs folding, will cause the CAA's to have to backfill. Would be great to get UNH or Maine.

Northeastern dropping football was not shocking. But had there even been rumors about Hofstra? This really opens the door for Stony Brook to elevate their program to another level.

Northeastern dropping football was not shocking. But had there even been rumors about Hofstra? This really opens the door for Stony Brook to elevate their program to another level.

Judging from the reaction on AGS, this was out of left field. Certainly solves the CAA's expansion dilemma.

The other interesting thing about these programs dropping football is the availability of their players. I am pretty sure you can transfer and play immediately if your school drops a sport. Don't know what the rules are about schools contacting these kids, but it's a possibility that a transfer from Northeastern or Hofstra could fill a hole for the Sioux. Probably a better option than a JUCO as you know that meet DI standards.

Judging from the reaction on AGS, this was out of left field. Certainly solves the CAA's expansion dilemma.

Long Island and Hofstra are definitely into lax, so the stadium still will be used for that.

By dropping football, maybe they have room with Title IX for hockey? A college team on LI would be a natural fit.

Hofstra's decision may result in new conference

Most of the southern portion of the Colonial is massively increasing stadium size and budgets (James Madison, Old Dominion, Delaware, Towson, Bill & Mary, Ga State). URI, UNH, and Maine can't at all be comfortable with the thought of travel costs and a facility arms race, especially with the weaker programs of Northeastern and Hofstra gone.

Hofstra’s surprising decision Thursday to drop football will force a realignment of the Colonial Athletic Association sooner rather than later, and should prompt officials at the four remaining North Division schools to explore forming a new league entirely. ,,

“I was completely shocked. I didn’t see it coming at all,” University of Rhode Island athletics director Thorr Bjorn said Thursday afternoon. He learned of the decision from a fellow athletics director at mid-morning.

A more dramatic option would be the formation of a new league with the four New England teams as the nucleus. Bjorn remains committed to the CAA for now, but said Thursday that Hofstra’s move represents an opportunity for URI and its New England neighbors to explore the changing landscape.

Given that context, and economic factors such as travel costs, the re-birth of the Yankee Conference makes sense. The conference could consist of the original charter members URI, UMass, UNH and Maine, plus Albany, Stony Brook and Fordham.

Forming such a league would be relatively easy. Albany is an affiliate of the Northeast Conference, Stony Brook of the Big South and Fordham of the Patriot League. Albany and Stony Brook are in the America East in other sports, Fordham in the Atlantic 10. This seven-team conference would allow for six league games and bus trips to all league away games and would permit expansion.

Another CAA has dropped by the wayside.

Hofstra

Hate to see these programs folding, will cause the CAA's to have to backfill. Would be great to get UNH or Maine.

JMU, UMass, Towson, Rhode Island all possibilities.

Somehow this will be blamed on UND. :D

I know I have seen a web site with all of the FCS teams with open schedule dates. Does anyone have a link? I'm interested in knowing who Hofstra had scheduled for next year.

Somehow this will be blamed on UND. :D

I know I have seen a web site with all of the FCS teams with open schedule dates. Does anyone have a link? I'm interested in knowing who Hofstra had scheduled for next year.

You can try www.championshipsubdivision.com/fcs-schedules/2010-schedules but they have already pulled Hofstra and Northeastern.

I know it's been mentioned before, but I sure would like to see a game against South Dakota State and they happen to have November 20th open. I think it would be a great last game of the season for UND. I'm not sure who SDSU loses from this years team, but this game could be a nice "measuring stick" kind of game to see where we are at in comparison to an FCS playoff caliber team.

I know it's been mentioned before, but I sure would like to see a game against South Dakota State and they happen to have November 20th open. I think it would be a great last game of the season for UND. I'm not sure who SDSU loses from this years team, but this game could be a nice "measuring stick" kind of game to see where we are at in comparison to an FCS playoff caliber team.

Wouldn't it be funny to have UND@SDSU and USD@NDSU. ???

November 27th against another transitional would be another option. What would Brian do without us? ???;)

South Alabama has that date open and needs home games. Another transitional bowl game on the Gulf Coast, this time at Ladd-Peebles Stadium the day after the Iron Bowl. USA can return the game the next season.

South Alabama has that date open and needs home games. Another transitional bowl game on the Gulf Coast, this time at Ladd-Peebles Stadium the day after the Iron Bowl. USA can return the game the next season.

Please make it so. Right at an hour from my house to Ladd-Peebles.

I know some users suggested that the 2011 game vs USF wont happen, that it would get bought out....I assume that was merely talk....and I assume it's still slated to take place up there? (USF will be D2, transition year, in 2011)

I know some users suggested that the 2011 game vs USF wont happen, that it would get bought out....I assume that was merely talk....and I assume it's still slated to take place up there? (USF will be D2, transition year, in 2011)

After this year's results, I'm kind of hoping that game goes ahead as scheduled. But those that look at it as a no-win situation for UND have a valid point, imo.

It's not been bought out yet as far as I know. Whether it will be bought out probably depends on a lot of factors, such as other 2011 scheduling opportunities for UND. I guess a small part of me would like to have an opportunity to avenge the loss, but my better judgment says the game should be bought out. I was in the camp that didn't like it scheduled in the first place and I still feel that way about the 2011 game. It was a no win situation for UND in 2009 and, despite USF's upcoming move to DII, it will still be a no-win situation for UND in 2011.

If I were a big Gopher football fan, I'd feel the same way about the Gophers scheduling the Dakota schools. It's GREAT for the Dakota schools, but it has zero updside for Minnesota with the potential for A BIG downside.

MK....totally understand what you mean. I'd love to make another trip up there, mostly cuz it's a fun (nothing to lose) matchup for the Coo....but I realize the risk associated for the Sioux. I assume when the Sioux made the game that they feel there was much risk..as most NAIA teams get thumped at this level, etc.

I will assume the game is gonna be "on" until I see/hear otherwise. Thanks.

MK....totally understand what you mean. I'd love to make another trip up there, mostly cuz it's a fun (nothing to lose) matchup for the Coo....but I realize the risk associated for the Sioux. I assume when the Sioux made the game that they feel there was much risk..as most NAIA teams get thumped at this level, etc.

I will assume the game is gonna be "on" until I see/hear otherwise. Thanks.

Yep, if the contract does get bought out, it'll be reported somewhere. Until then, it's still on.

I think that UND would prefer to fill the November 20th date and have a bye in the middle of the schedule, but Sac State could be a good backup option.

Sac St. actually has both Oct 16 & Nov 20 open. It would be good to get a series going against a Big Sky team & obviously the Wanless connection could help. I'm guessing since UND has 5 home & 5 away games schedule, we'd really like to get that 6th home game.