SiouxSports.com Forum

Future Schedules

dakotadan

I wouldn't take too much comfort in the buyout - It's been stated over at eGriz that the Montana athletic dept. nets over 1/2 million per home game. But you'd get a nice check for the cost of going out there. You have to remember they pay well over $50,000.00 for teams to come into Griz Stadium so writing a 100,000 check wouldn't bother them to much if they got a good home game.

Again, it's not just the buyout that suggests there's a decent chance they'll play in Grand Forks in 2013--it's the fact that they played AT Cal Poly last year, and are playing AT UC-Davis this year. Obviously things can change between now and 2013, but based upon recent history, I believe chances are fairly good that both games will be played.

Again, it's not just the buyout that suggests there's a decent chance they'll play in Grand Forks in 2013--it's the fact that they played AT Cal Poly last year, and are playing AT UC-Davis this year. Obviously things can change between now and 2013, but based upon recent history, I believe chances are fairly good that both games will be played.

I love analyzing what will happen in the 2013 season when the 2009 season hasn't started yet. :lol:

Wasted effort, '92,96; Bison Dan is incapable of accepting or even comprehending the words "fairly good" in any post that contains "Grand Forks" or "UND." It's a Pavlovian thing.

Wasted effort, '92,96; Bison Dan is incapable of accepting or even comprehending the words "fairly good" in any post that contains "Grand Forks" or "UND." It's a Pavlovian thing.

I guess you didn't see my post on saying a good get? Just don't count on the return game too much.

Nothern Illinois added to the 2010 Schedule. But Northwestern St. is not listed any more. They were originally scheduled to return this season's game to the Alerus on Sept. 25. Apparently they bought it out?

I like the Northern Illinois game, but I liked Northwestern St. in the Alerus better.

Nevermind..............Just heard from the athletic department, and Northwestern St. is still coming to Grand Forks.

I love analyzing what will happen in the 2013 season when the 2009 season hasn't started yet. :lol:

I see nothing wrong with speculating that a school may actually fulfill a contract, given the fact that they've done so in the past two years with other Great West teams. I think that's a more reasonable approach than that taken by Kolpack, et al., and simply assuming that since Montana bought out SDSU, etc. a few years ago, there's no way they'll ever travel here.

I see nothing wrong with speculating that a school may actually fulfill a contract, given the fact that they've done so in the past two years with other Great West teams. I think that's a more reasonable approach than that taken by Kolpack, et al., and simply assuming that since Montana bought out SDSU, etc. a few years ago, there's no way they'll ever travel here.

Montana bought out of a 2-for-1 with SDSU after the Jacks went to Montana twice.

That's just downright sleazy imo. Wallstreet chop shop sleazy.

I hope Montana is taking these steps in order to repair its tarnished image around FCS.

I think you may have to reread Kolpack. Can't find where he said that "no way they'll ever travel here".

Kolpack definitely leaves the impression that they prbably won't come to Grand Forks. Everybody sure seems worried about whether they will come to the Alerus. The game is a long way off. Just having the game in Montana next year is great. This ia a very positive story. Not a negative story. I am not sure why Bison fans and Bison media are so worried about whether the Griz come to Grand Forks. It sure would appear that this story has created a little envy from south of here.

I'm envious for sure. I'd love to see the Griz or Bobcats come to the FFD to play the Bison. I think ya'll should just be excited you get to play an FCS team of that caliber no matter where it's at. I would'nt hold my breath on them making the return trip. Personally I'd rather see Montana St. come to Fargo so we can return the favor of them beating us a few years ago. Montana on the other hand, been there, done that. Not sure how well you guys travel, but you should be able to get quite a few Sioux fans out there for that game. I'd be there for sure if it was the green and gold, no doubt about it. I'm curious to see how many fellow Bison fans I'll see @ Iowa St. in two weeks......can't wait!!!

Not sure how well you guys travel, but you should be able to get quite a few Sioux fans out there for that game

If this quote from a self professed Bison fan doesn't illustrate how this rivalry has been dormant too long I don't know what does. There's a generation of fans that has no idea...

If this quote from a self professed Bison fan doesn't illustrate how this rivalry has been dormant too long I don't know what does. There's a generation of fans that has no idea...

5 seasons?

Meh, whatever. If it works as an excuse to get NDSU and UND back on each other's schedule, fine with me.

It's a fair post by Jeff. If it was just the SDSU buyout, Kolpack wouldn't have written it. But some here either don't know or don't remember that Montana did this(buying the return game) at least once per year for about three years. It was a pattern, not an isolated case. Besides the SDSU 2-for-1, Montana also bought out a Cal-Poly 2-for-1 and a home/home from an eastern school(Furman or Wofford, I think). With that track record, anyone going to Montana upfront should not bet their life on Montana returning the trip.

That being said, Montana's budget situation is much better than it was during those buyout years. Back then, they had a $1MM debt hanging over the athletic department and they had to do everything possible to pay it off. That was the driving force behind the 7 home game schedules featuring cheap NAIA and DIII opponents. With the debt now gone, they can afford to honor the spirit of their contracts. Still, $100K isn't much of a buyout. If push comes to shove, Montana won't hesitate to pay UND off and take a big money FBS game or buy a cheap home game. Either way, Montana goes from a $100K loss(the cost of traveling to GF) to a $300K+ gain($500K purse - $100K buyout - $100K travel or guarantee). It's a good get for UND, but it carries more risk than is typical for a home/home.

It's a fair post by Jeff. If it was just the SDSU buyout, Kolpack wouldn't have written it. But some here either don't know or don't remember that Montana did this(buying the return game) at least once per year for about three years. It was a pattern, not an isolated case. Besides the SDSU 2-for-1, Montana also bought out a Cal-Poly 2-for-1 and a home/home from an eastern school(Furman or Wofford, I think). With that track record, anyone going to Montana upfront should not bet their life on Montana returning the trip.

That being said, Montana's budget situation is much better than it was during those buyout years. Back then, they had a $1MM debt hanging over the athletic department and they had to do everything possible to pay it off. That was the driving force behind the 7 home game schedules featuring cheap NAIA and DIII opponents. With the debt now gone, they can afford to honor the spirit of their contracts. Still, $100K isn't much of a buyout. If push comes to shove, Montana won't hesitate to pay UND off and take a big money FBS game or buy a cheap home game. Either way, Montana goes from a $100K loss(the cost of traveling to GF) to a $300K+ gain($500K purse - $100K buyout - $100K travel or guarantee). It's a good get for UND, but it carries more risk than is typical for a home/home.

Even if the basic premise of Kolpack's blog may be true, the manner in which it was written was overly negative IMO, e.g. "So the University of North Dakota is the latest to fall for the Grizzly scheduling ploy." I can only imagine the reaction on bisonville had NDSU been the one to sign this contract, and Wayne Nelson had written the identical thing about it.

I've probably said this too many times already, but in the interest of full disclosure if somebody is going to write about whether UND should or should not expect Montana to make a return trip, why not at least mention that Montana's scheduling practices appear to be changing in the past couple of years? Not that Bison fans are at all interested in UND scheduling. :lol:

Even if the basic premise of Kolpack's blog may be true, the manner in which it was written was overly negative IMO, e.g. "So the University of North Dakota is the latest to fall for the Grizzly scheduling ploy." I can only imagine the reaction on bisonville had NDSU been the one to sign this contract, and Wayne Nelson had written the identical thing about it.

I've probably said this too many times already, but in the interest of full disclosure if somebody is going to write about whether UND should or should not expect Montana to make a return trip, why not at least mention that Montana's scheduling practices appear to be changing in the past couple of years? Not that Bison fans are at all interested in UND scheduling. :lol:

Heard over at eGriz that in 2013 they already have a game at ASU. Two preconference away games in the same year?

But some here either don't know or don't remember that Montana did this(buying the return game) at least once per year for about three years. It was a pattern, not an isolated case.

I believe that's called "building a bad reputation." I'm sure that was starting to hurt them (see: NAIA home games).

The only way to fix it is to rebuild the reputation. One way to do that is to go on the road, like they seem to be doing again.

If they drop back into the buy-out habit it'll only hurt them on future scheduling issues.

Montana doesn't tend to schedule FBS games unless they really need the money, and 2013 is a 12-game season. If there were a year where Montana would travel to two OOC schools, a 12-game year would be it. They can travel to ASU & UND and still have six home games.

Kolpack definitely leaves the impression that they prbably won't come to Grand Forks. Everybody sure seems worried about whether they will come to the Alerus. The game is a long way off. Just having the game in Montana next year is great. This ia a very positive story. Not a negative story. I am not sure why Bison fans and Bison media are so worried about whether the Griz come to Grand Forks. It sure would appear that this story has created a little envy from south of here.

In particular, Bison Dan must really be envious. All he ever talks is Sioux football. Gotta love it!!!!

Montana doesn't tend to schedule FBS games unless they really need the money, and 2013 is a 12-game season. If there were a year where Montana would travel to two OOC schools, a 12-game year would be it. They can travel to ASU & UND and still have six home games.

Pretty sure with the expansion of the playoffs to 5 weeks, there will be no more 12 game seasons.

Pretty sure with the expansion of the playoffs to 5 weeks, there will be no more 12 game seasons.

They extended the championship game to the eve of the BCS National Championship, so I don't believe this to be correct, there will be 12-game schedules.

With the FCS championship game moving to January and only four* teams per year actually impacted by the playoff expansion, I doubt anything will change regarding the 12-game seasons. The expansion has been known for a couple years now and no changes have been made to the DI manual. Normally, the NCAA likes to decide things like scheduling rules many years in advance because of contracts and the like. Nothing has been approved by the DI football committee, and I don't think anything has even been proposed.

*eight teams will play in the first round, but four end up eliminated, leaving four teams that may need to play an extra game to get to the championship

edit: Shawn beat me to it and said it more succinctly