SiouxSports.com Forum

Future Schedules

dakotadan

The Montana schools have played D2 schools. Most schools have a doormat on their schedule. NDSU plays ST. Joseph school of hair design next year and they play Lafayette too. They have 2 doormats. It happens. Hopefully we will get to a point it won't. Scheduling is a real pain. If we as fans keep coming to games and supporting them we can grow the financial situation of our athletic programs which might result in being able to afford to not have to bring in one doormat every year... I do think there is going to be a game every year of the easier nature though. That is just what happens in almost every program at every school.

But at least those games have playoff meanings. SD Mines do not!

most Big Sky Schools play up or down in OOC due to the lack of regional FCS schools. All BSC teams other than Portland State and Weber played "down" last year, however those two schools played two FBS games. With the BSC gobbling up all the potential FCS OOC opponents in its region, I would expect to that trend continue. CAA and SoCon schools often play all DI schedules, because they are surrounded by DI teams. In addition, no MVFC team is scheduled to play "down" next year.

2010 in the MVFC:

Southern Illinois played Quincy (NAIA)

Illinois State played Central Missouri (D2)

Indiana State played St Josephs (D2)

That may change this year but it shows they do it too.

Ok fine, that's your prerogative. Stay home then. Just realize that instead of helping solve the problem you complain about, you are actually adding to the problem.

But by all means......carry on with your tirade on scheduling....

If they need my help to solve the scheduling problem have Faison call me. I will give him a list of FCS teams in the nation. There are a lot of them including some in our new conference to choose from and don't tell me UND is strapped for cash. Thats BS!!! You telling me NDSU has more cash than UND??? They have no problems scheduling FCS teams.

If they need my help to solve the scheduling problem have Faison call me. I will give him a list of FCS teams in the nation. There are a lot of them including some in our new conference to choose from and don't tell me UND is strapped for cash. Thats BS!!! You telling me NDSU has more cash than UND??? They have no problems scheduling FCS teams.

Obviously Mr. Faison doesn't feel the need (pressure) to schedule better teams.

Is the arguement here should UND spend more money and bring in a doormat FCS program or spend a lot less and bring in a D2 program? I do see the attiudes every one has. To be honest I don't think either game is going to draw great crowds anyway. The crappy FCS game just seems to look better. Financially UND probably comes out ahead on the D2 game. I can see both sides though.

Is the arguement here should UND spend more money and bring in a doormat FCS program or spend a lot less and bring in a D2 program? I do see the attiudes every one has. To be honest I don't think either game is going to draw great crowds anyway. The crappy FCS game just seems to look better. Financially UND probably comes out ahead on the D2 game. I can see both sides though.

My biggest argument is playoffs. Yes to quote Jim Mora "Playoffs?". I think FCS would draw more knowing there is more at stake.

Obviously Mr. Faison doesn't feel the need (pressure) to schedule better teams.

Seems like Mr. Taylor has no problems finding the FCS directory and getting teams to Fargo. 2006 was the last time a non D-I team was on their schedule.

2010 in the MVFC:

Southern Illinois played Quincy (NAIA)

Illinois State played Central Missouri (D2)

Indiana State played St Josephs (D2)

That may change this year but it shows they do it too.

They do it is as well, but not to the same extent as the Big Sky, (and won't play any sub DI in 2011). Also, the 9 current BSC teams have played 49 games against scholly FCS teams over the last 5 years. 44 of those games have been against current GWFC teams (4 of which the BSC is absorbing, and USD who will have many fewer OOC oppurtunities as a MVFC member). Unless BSC teams start playing each other as non-conf games, BSC non-conf schedules will be mostly FBS and sub-DI.

I will check (and press) my sources at USD as to why the USD/UND series is not continuing. IMO, if we continue to play each other it would solve most, if not all, of our scheduling problems. 8 conference games, 4 home & 4 away, FBS game (away), USD (alternating), and an FCS game. In the years you play in Vermillion, schedule a home FCS game, in years you play USD in GF, schedule a road FCS game. That would be 5 home, 5 road, and one FBS game every season. Maybe, you could buy an FCS home game and make it 6 home games in some years. The same type of scheduling idea applies to USD as well and is very acceptable to the people I have talked with.

Scheduling should not be this hard. Heck, if you had the USD and NDSU series annually (alternate the home games for each) your AD would only have to schedule an FBS game every year and it would be an all D1 schedule every single season. Sure, not flexible, but it would be a fun schedule.

Bottom line there is no reason to schedule D2 or NAIA school and not play the other Dakota U and I will be upset if USD is scheduling D2's when UND is available.

• Upvote 2

Ok fine, that's your prerogative. Stay home then. Just realize that instead of helping solve the problem you complain about, you are actually adding to the problem.

But by all means......carry on with your tirade on scheduling....

Let's not delude ourselves into thinking the athletic department is somehow collaborating with us on scheduling. It appears to me they want to pay as little as possible with the expectation the fans will show. Sorry, but entertainment dollars are a finite resource. If there is an absolute dog on the schedule, Faison should not be surprised there are people like Darell making the determination as to whether the athletic department is offering a product that is worth his money.

I have absolutely no problem scheduling a D-2 team. None. This region has top tier D-2 (and D-3 for that matter) football. SD Mines is not one of them. It's a cheap solution, and if the athletic department is going to bring in a cheap product, they shouldn't be surprised when there are those in the fan base that respond in kind.

• Upvote 1

Let's not delude ourselves into thinking the athletic department is somehow collaborating with us on scheduling. It appears to me they want to pay as little as possible with the expectation the fans will show. Sorry, but entertainment dollars are a finite resource. If there is an absolute dog on the schedule, Faison should not be surprised there are people like Darell making the determination as to whether the athletic department is offering a product that is worth his money.

My point is that by not attending the games, you decrease the attendance, which decreases ticket and concession sales, which affects UND's future scheduling.

I don't for a second believe that Faison cares about what we post anonymously here. Like you said, that is painfully obvious.

My point is that by not attending the games, you decrease the attendance, which decreases ticket and concession sales, which affects UND's future scheduling.

I don't for a second believe that Faison cares about what we post anonymously here. Like you said, that is painfully obvious.

I will tell Faison to his face was a stupid fool he is putting SD Mines on the schedule, and Matt is right when there is nothing worth watching at the Alerus people are not going to spend the money to go, and its not that we don't support the team; but its the same why fans don't care about NFL preseason games which this game is its 3 hrs of boring football because nothing is on the line.

The Montana schools have played D2 schools. Most schools have a doormat on their schedule. NDSU plays ST. Joseph school of hair design next year and they play Lafayette too. They have 2 doormats. It happens.

1) I will give you the St. Francis comment, as we had a home game lined up with Georgia Southern, but they decided to be bastards and weasel out of that game,

2) If you ever talk to a Lafayette fan on AGS, I will gladly give them this quote from you to read.

I'm not sure why Faison can't do a better job of scheduling out of conference games? Year after year we are constantly playing the Nobody State Universities of the NCAA and then the athletic department wonders why Sioux fans (some of the proudest fans in the NCAA) don't show up to the games and drop money on the local economy. Doesn't Faison understand that we love hockey but there is room in our hearts for football and basketball as well. At this rate we will never generate enough interest and revenue to re-build a new football stadium at the Memorial Field and take our rightful place in a much larger, more prestigious conference. We deserve better than this!

If you're going to pay to have a DII come up to play, why not pony up a few more bucks and have a FCS team that counts?

Or why not just schedule home-and-home series with some of the FCS teams in the region? USD, SDSU, Northern Iowa -- If the MVFC truly wants to stay all-FCS in scheduling, would think it should be possible most years to get a regional FCS team on the schedule rather than a low-level D II team. It looks like we mght be scheduling to get six home games each year, ala the AC. Don't know about anyone else but I'd gladly cash in the sixth game every other year to get a quality game with a regional opponent of interest every year. Costs could be modest, interest would be much higher and you get a game that counts. I agree with those who say it's getting prohibitively expense to buy home games with a low-level FCS teams in hopes of padding your record.

Let's hope SD Mines has to cancel this game.

There's still a chance that SD Mines will be invited to the RMAC (DII league in Colorado) later in May. The RMAC has offered Eastern New Mexico, Colorado College, and Black Hills State, with a plan to go to two divisions. SD Mines was dished by the RMAC, so is desperate for scheduling.

The RMAC may be forced to invite SD MInes, as ENMU hasn't decided whether to leave the Lone Star Conference and Colorado College is still debating if it should move to DII from DIII. Also, the SD Board of Regents might not let Black Hills State accept RMAC's offer, unless they offer SD Mines, too.

Mines left playing DII waiting game

Man...Where is this SD school at? I thought it was Black Hills State when I first read the post on this game. It's my opinion that this is a poor game on the schedule as well. No reason to be playing down and if we have no other option, why play down to NAIA transition teams? I know times are tough but seriously...if we have to play down, is it really that difficult to at least get a DII that the local fan base is familiar with? ???:sad:

Man...Where is this SD school at? I thought it was Black Hills State when I first read the post on this game. It's my opinion that this is a poor game on the schedule as well. No reason to be playing down and if we have no other option, why play down to NAIA transition teams? I know times are tough but seriously...if we have to play down, is it really that difficult to at least get a DII that the local fan base is familiar with? ???:sad:

Last game in 2010:

Minot State 30 SD Mines 7

3-2 record vs Mayville St in last five years

It is great to see so many upset about playing non-DI opponents.................that means there is passion within the fan base, and I think that is a good thing.

What is not so great is to see so many complain, whine, piss & moan, and theaten to effectively boycott North Dakota football because they don't approve of the opponents....................

Let me enlighten some of you as to why North Dakota's administration is reluctant to shell out in excess of $100,000-150,000 to secure a home opponent that has the FCS label attached to it...........................

Since moving to NCAA Division I FCS in 2008:

Average Home Attendance vs. non-DI opponents (7 games): 10,758

Average Home Attendance vs. DI FCS opponents (8 games): 8,316

Green means go................red means stop.....................

What would be the point of forking over $130,000 for Austin Peay when you can have South Dakota Mines for half that and bank on having 2,000-3,000 more buying tickets, cheering in the stands, drinking beer, and buying pizza?

I've said it in the past and I'll say it again..................if Sioux football fans are going to complain about DII and NAIA teams on the home schedule, there better be more than a paltry 6,700 on hand when the #16 DI team in the nation (Cal Poly in 2009) comes to town.................

IMO, attendance will be up this season..........................as ugly as it is to those of us that follow closely, scheduling 4 probable blowout wins at home for 2011 was pure genious by the administration...............

• Upvote 1

I meant the same thing. There's too many degrees of separation in that scenario to say by attending a dreadful mines game we may be shaping a better opponent the next year. I would argue that reinforces a get by on the cheap philosophy.

This isn't an argument about scheduling D-1 vs non-D1. That's a straw man argument-it's well documented that many programs do that. This is about schduling Mines or a reputable D-2 school, neither of which will break the bank. I'll shop at WalMart, but let's steer clear of the dollar store.

I do not have a problem with the D2 game, but would have rather played USD if available or a D2 from the area that could draw some fans i.e. UMD, SCSU, Augustana, or Mankato that would have some rivalry fan interest to it. Black Hills is not going to be a draw.

Whoops! Just realized I had the wrong school in saying Black Hills, meant to say SD Tech. Even worse, mostly engineers playing FB for a distraction. Come Brian, get to work, find some decent competition.

It is great to see so many upset about playing non-DI opponents.................that means there is passion within the fan base, and I think that is a good thing.

What is not so great is to see so many complain, whine, piss & moan, and theaten to effectively boycott North Dakota football because they don't approve of the opponents....................

Let me enlighten some of you as to why North Dakota's administration is reluctant to shell out in excess of $100,000-150,000 to secure a home opponent that has the FCS label attached to it...........................

Since moving to NCAA Division I FCS in 2008:

Average Home Attendance vs. non-DI opponents (7 games): 10,758

Average Home Attendance vs. DI FCS opponents (8 games): 8,316

Green means go................red means stop.....................

What would be the point of forking over $130,000 for Austin Peay when you can have South Dakota Mines for half that and bank on having 2,000-3,000 more buying tickets, cheering in the stands, drinking beer, and buying pizza?

I've said it in the past and I'll say it again..................if Sioux football fans are going to complain about DII and NAIA teams on the home schedule, there better be more than a paltry 6,700 on hand when the #16 DI team in the nation (Cal Poly in 2009) comes to town.................

IMO, attendance will be up this season..........................as ugly as it is to those of us that follow closely, scheduling 4 probable blowout wins at home for 2011 was pure genious by the administration...............

Maybe its because we are nothing in D1 yet. We are in limbo for the playoffs. A win in non-conference means nothing. 2012 is to be our year. The year of the Big Sky. The year we can make a run to the playoffs. Transition is crap. If the NCAA didn't have a 5 year ban on playoffs people would show up, I know it sounds bad but would you show up for just preseason NFL games or wait until the game means something. Well thats what we have done, 5 years of preseason. The only thing we can win is a GWFC title which I hope we can win this year. Whats the point of getting Austin Peay....PLAYOFFS!!!!!! Whats the point of getting SD Mines.....NOTHING!!! In D2 we played Northern Iowa, first year of transition we played Southern Illinois both on the road...what they can't come here??

Good debate. While I understand the hesitancy to shell out 100-150K to bring in a lower level FCS team in favor of a regional opponent that will cost less and draw the same-size crowd, I don't understand why we can't play South Dakota, which would be a D-I game against a regional opponent and draw a good crowd (in GF or Vermillion). They were on the schedule for 2012 before we were invited to the MVFC and Big Sky. One of us had to drop that game. Who and why?