SiouxSports.com Forum

Future Schedules

dakotadan

I was told today USD has dropped the road game to Illinois St and are trying to fill it with a home FCS game. We're going to be playing ISU in conference anyway and already have a road trip to WIU, another future conference foe. The other 2 probable home games are going to bodybag games against NAIA/D2 types in all probability. A lot of work still to do on the schedule. I don't see why UND finalized their schedule so soon, there is still time to put games together.

Reading this thread there is much talk about not attending the games, slashing contributions, etc. That is like cutting off your nose to spite your face. How can the AD ink future deals against good opponents if the trend is poor attendance and a probable financial loss if he overpays for an FCS team. Treat the game as an event, no matter the opponent, go to the game, tailgate, have a good time and enjoy the show. It's not the players fault, don't punish them by withholding support. Don't they deserve to play in front of a packed house? Hey, at least you get to go to 6 games next year.

I was told today USD has dropped the road game to Illinois St and are trying to fill it with a home FCS game. We're going to be playing ISU in conference anyway and already have a road trip to WIU, another future conference foe. The other 2 probable home games are going to bodybag games against NAIA/D2 types in all probability. A lot of work still to do on the schedule. I don't see why UND finalized their schedule so soon, there is still time to put games together.

Reading this thread there is much talk about not attending the games, slashing contributions, etc. That is like cutting off your nose to spite your face. How can the AD ink future deals against good opponents if the trend is poor attendance and a probable financial loss if he overpays for an FCS team. Treat the game as an event, no matter the opponent, go to the game, tailgate, have a good time and enjoy the show. It's not the players fault, don't punish them by withholding support. Don't they deserve to play in front of a packed house? Hey, at least you get to go to 6 games next year.

Maybe it doesn't make sense, but could a case be made for UND and USD to play twice next season -- home and home -- rather than host some NAIA or Division II move up? This happens at the FBS level with conference championship games -- see Auburn-SC and Nebraska-Oklahoma this year. Would it work in this case?

I think sometimes we get a little hung up on the labels some teams carry......just keep in mind that USF would destroy a few of the FCS teams that have shown up on NDSU's and SDSU's schedules. Granted it never looks or feels good to lose to them or beat them for that matter, but it is what it is and a game against a team that can and will challenge you and in our last year of transition that isnt a bad thing.

I think sometimes we get a little hung up on the labels some teams carry......just keep in mind that USF would destroy a few of the FCS teams that have shown up on NDSU's and SDSU's schedules. Granted it never looks or feels good to lose to them or beat them for that matter, but it is what it is and a game against a team that can and will challenge you and in our last year of transition that isnt a bad thing.

Agreed on Sioux Falls...they will challenge us. Montana Western will not.

Agreed on Sioux Falls...they will challenge us. Montana Western will not.

I'm sorry but if this program wants to get where it needs to be a school like Sioux Falls should not challenge us. Sioux Falls would not be competitive with 90% of FCS schools from the top four FCS conferences (MVFC,Big Sky, SoCon, and CAA). The school largely gets athletes that were not recruited by UND or NDSU. UND should win this game by three plus scores and any other outcome should be unacceptable to the players, coaches, and fans. The loss a season ago was probably the worse loss in recent Sioux football history and I really hope the players come out ready to rectify the absolutely disgraceful performance they put together the first time against this team.

The Sioux better worry about a QB for next year more than the schedule. Unless you guys can fine a JUCO hero somewhere to QB your team, you might be in trouble against some of the NAIA schools. I am not trying to smack here, but after watching a few games on TV this fall, you gotta find a QB and that looks like a huge issue to me.....

The Sioux better worry about a QB for next year more than the schedule. Unless you guys can fine a JUCO hero somewhere to QB your team, you might be in trouble against some of the NAIA schools. I am not trying to smack here, but after watching a few games on TV this fall, you gotta find a QB and that looks like a huge issue to me.....

Coach Mussman probably tosses and turns at night thinking about this very fact. If one of the freshman, Comes or Demler, are projected as long-term solutions, I think you throw them in and take your lumps.

I'm sorry but if this program wants to get where it needs to be a school like Sioux Falls should not challenge us. Sioux Falls would not be competitive with 90% of FCS schools from the top four FCS conferences (MVFC,Big Sky, SoCon, and CAA). The school largely gets athletes that were not recruited by UND or NDSU. UND should win this game by three plus scores and any other outcome should be unacceptable to the players, coaches, and fans. The loss a season ago was probably the worse loss in recent Sioux football history and I really hope the players come out ready to rectify the absolutely disgraceful performance they put together the first time against this team.

I guess this means we (USF) will be heading back up to Grand Forks..officially. There had been much talk of a buy-out..and I'm glad that didn't happen. Heck, I would have loved to have made a return trip up to UND this season.

Our last NAIA game is tmrw..vs Carroll College (Helena, MT)....and D2 from there. Much the same for Black Hills and Minot both. (we also play them next season, as we all transition)

Too bad we can't get the Sioux to play a game in Sioux Falls..but that's the nature of playing-up.

Coach Mussman probably tosses and turns at night thinking about this very fact. If one of the freshman, Comes or Demler, are projected as long-term solutions, I think you throw them in and take your lumps.

And after watching last season for both schools........better have 2. That backup is more important than I ever imagined.

Waaay off topic, Wyoming, but I noticed you locked a topic -- coincidentally it was about a regular poster here -- over at B-ville today because of "petty, personal !@#$." With that new standard, aren't you afraid the whole place is going to implode? ;)

Right now Massey has Sioux Falls rated as the best college football team in the Dakotas (sorry NDSU).

http://masseyratings.com/rate.php?lg=cf

Last year Sioux Falls was around 70th in Massey....that thing kinda goes crazy a bit. I've seen USF play weekly for years..and I've seen SDSU on our local programming....I'm not taking USF over SDSU, etc.

USF might have only lost 1 game in the last 5 years, but as USF fans we know and realize we aren't playing UND, USD, Cal Poly, on a week to week basis either.

Looking forward to some of the games USF has scheduled next year....playing upper level teams..obviously at UND....at Neb Omaha....at NWMSU (defending D2 champ)...at McNeese State....etc. (Northern Sun Conf in 2012, seemingly a done deal)

Honest question....from a talent standpoint....will UND be better or worse, in terms of athletes, than what we saw in October of 2009..?

Last year Sioux Falls was around 70th in Massey....that thing kinda goes crazy a bit. I've seen USF play weekly for years..and I've seen SDSU on our local programming....I'm not taking USF over SDSU, etc.

USF might have only lost 1 game in the last 5 years, but as USF fans we know and realize we aren't playing UND, USD, Cal Poly, on a week to week basis either.

Looking forward to some of the games USF has scheduled next year....playing upper level teams..obviously at UND....at Neb Omaha....at NWMSU (defending D2 champ)...at McNeese State....etc. (Northern Sun Conf in 2012, seemingly a done deal)

Honest question....from a talent standpoint....will UND be better or worse, in terms of athletes, than what we saw in October of 2009..?

I think you will see a huge difference in speed, size and athleticism when you travel to the Alerus next year. That said, the QB is a HUGE ?? right now.

I think you will see a huge difference in speed, size and athleticism when you travel to the Alerus next year. That said, the QB is a HUGE ?? right now.

Obviously we were most concerned with Bamba back then....and Mitch Sutton....but he played only for a window of time in the 3rd quarter to try and light a spark I think.

Is Sutton kinda always dinged up..or is he still the future at the RB position? (Seemed like a very good athlete, good burst)

USF plays all these teams next year? That is going to be culture shock for USF fans and Sioux Falls people in general. Smack not intended, but that looks like 4 losses right there.

Obviously we were most concerned with Bamba back then....and Mitch Sutton....but he played only for a window of time in the 3rd quarter to try and light a spark I think.

Is Sutton kinda always dinged up..or is he still the future at the RB position? (Seemed like a very good athlete, good burst)

Josh Murray was UND's leading runner as a sophomore in 2008, but was academically ineligible in 2009. Murray was back in 2010 and assumed the lead RB role. He will be a senior next year and I assume he will be the lead RB barring injury or other issues. Sutton had injury issues in 2010 I believe. He only had 68 attempts in 2010 and averaged 4.2 yards per carry. Murray averaged 5.5 yards per carry. Sutton should challenge Murray next year, but should get plenty of reps regardless. Jake Miller had the redshirt pulled off him in 2010. He only got 35 attempts, but averaged 5.6 yards per carry as a true freshman. I'm sure he will challenge for reps in 2011 as well. UND should be pretty well set at RB next year.

WIth Bamba off the team, UND's best deep threat in 2010 was redshirt freshman Greg Hardin. Hardin looks very promising and could more than make up for Bamba, but unfortunately after Landry went down, there was no QB to get him the ball.

All I have to say is that I am glad we decided not to go with the Summit League but Independent for football route. While part of the problem may be that we cannot guarantee return games due to the future move to the Big Sky, the other part of the problem is that FCS college football has changed in the past couple of years that focuses on more conference games, the big payout game vs. bowl schools, and the need to balance out the few NC games you have left. The current landscape is just a recipe for independent disaster.

USF plays all these teams next year? That is going to be culture shock for USF fans and Sioux Falls people in general. Smack not intended, but that looks like 4 losses right there.

Yote....it certainly could be. Yes they play those teams in 2011. I'm pleased USF scheduled them..and they will all be uphill battles..but I'd rather see those games then the 60-0 kinda games, etc. As a Coo fan, we have to expect tough sledding with a move up..and especially when you schedule teams who are tops in D2 or even FCS level.