SiouxSports.com Forum

2008-2009 Sioux Hockey Roster

Chuck Schwartz

You don't think he should be fired after 10 years of no NCAA titles considering he took over a program that Blais left in great shape? What's happened to your expectations? I think a lot of Sioux fans would agree that that is not a "ridiculous" statement as you put it.

And by the way, lighten up a little.

Does UND play to win National Titles or to just gain Frozen Four appearances? Count me in the group that would rather win it all once every 4 or 5 years versus pulling the Buffalo Bills and being close every year. And let's face it, the Sioux have been pretty much outclassed in the Frozen Four each of the last two years. Guess what, BC is going to bring another small speedy team to the Frozen Four this year. I wonder what Hak's plan will be this year as it is getting old curling up into the fetal position against them every year. Should be an interesting season with all the new guys that will be counted on for scoring.

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In all fairness, when was the last time a ND player deserved a little ripping? Panzer brothers? No, they were stellar. Marto? No, although he was not a standout, I believe he did at least as good as was expected of him last year. Fylling? I think he caught some grief for not putting up the point totals some expected of him. Massen? He also caught flack for never producing like he did in juniors.

Get off your obsession about how Sioux fans baby the local boys. It is not true as my few examples point out. The real question is what is your main gripe WITH the ND boys?

Wasn't there some talk of the Lamoureux's being unhappy with the fan response to Phil early in his career? He wasn't apparently immune to the criticism.

If it's year 10 of the Hakstol regime and he's made the NCAA tourney every year but still no title then he should absolutely be fired at that point.

No because door mats like UAA will still be sitting at the bottom of the league and UND will have at least made the tourney and been to he big dance. Hak will leave under his terms. I think a lot of teams would take UND results, just think the last four season the Sioux finished higher than the Goofs...

not sure that this is a profitable debate, but I think we shouldn't dismiss human nature that not many of us recall history beyond who won the championship. I am not sure of Coach Woog's won/loss record but we all know his lack of winning the big one. If Hak and Company don't change their ways I am fearful that history will treat them similarly. Admittedly, after four years it is premature to even discuss the same. They have the opportunity to change all that....lets hope they do!

not sure that this is a profitable debate, but I think we shouldn't dismiss human nature that not many of us recall history beyond who won the championship. I am not sure of Coach Woog's won/loss record but we all know his lack of winning the big one. If Hak and Company don't change their ways I am fearful that history will treat them similarly. Admittedly, after four years it is premature to even discuss the same. They have the opportunity to change all that....lets hope they do!

Here's Woog's record

http://www.gopherhockeyhistory.com/coaches...s/woogStats.asp

2 losing seasons, recruiting philosophy, and cash in a hat finally got Woog fired.

What will get Hakstol fired is an empty building - any predictions?

Here's mine - Hakstol will leave for a better opportunity, not get fired.

No because door mats like UAA will still be sitting at the bottom of the league and UND will have at least made the tourney and been to he big dance. Hak will leave under his terms. I think a lot of teams would take UND results, just think the last four season the Sioux finished higher than the Goofs...

So because UAA finishes in last place every year that makes it ok for Hakstol to never win a title? Nice logic. Sioux fans rip Woog for going to six Frozen Fours and never winning one yet praise Hakstol for going to four Frozen Fours with the same results.

Does UND play to win National Titles or to just gain Frozen Four appearances? Count me in the group that would rather win it all once every 4 or 5 years versus pulling the Buffalo Bills and being close every year. And let's face it, the Sioux have been pretty much outclassed in the Frozen Four each of the last two years. Guess what, BC is going to bring another small speedy team to the Frozen Four this year. I wonder what Hak's plan will be this year as it is getting old curling up into the fetal position against them every year. Should be an interesting season with all the new guys that will be counted on for scoring.

The administration of the University might actually think about it differently, because what Hak has done is put butts in the seats on a consistent basis. Down the road the Athletic Department will actually profit by more than exposure for being in the final four now that the University will be D1 in other sports. How much money have they missed out on the last four years, having not been D1?

I know we're supposed to be on the same side since we're arguing with a Gophers fan, but this has to be one of the most insane things I have ever seen posted here! UND is now comparing itself to Anchorage! So any season in which UND finishes higher than Anchorage is now considered a roaring success? We are the Fighting Sioux, I know that doesn't mean much to some fans anymore, but the only school UND's hockey team has to measure up against is UND. We have long ago set a standard for what makes a great hockey program. It doesn't matter how we finish compared to Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, BC, or especially Alaska fricken' Anchorage. The boys that put on that Sioux jersey next year need to measure up to UND standards, which is winning conference titles and national championships. Who cares about anyone else?

WE ARE THE FIGHTING SIOUX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh how the mighty have fallen - UND used to measure itself by NCs, not by its final WCHA standing. Certainly not with respect to UAA.

btw - I am not suggesting that UND fire Hak. Personally I think he's done just about all you can ask save for the FF woes. If he continues to run a clean program and get back to the FF a NC will eventually follow. Unlike Denny ****** Green. :silly:

So because UAA finishes in last place every year that makes it ok for Hakstol to never win a title? Nice logic. Sioux fans rip Woog for going to six Frozen Fours and never winning one yet praise Hakstol for going to four Frozen Fours with the same results.

Don't you have somewhere else to hang out. I mean we could be as bad as UAA, but the fact is we are not.

Since the Goofs last won a title, the Sioux have finished above the Goofs every year in the National tourney.

I know we're supposed to be on the same side since we're arguing with a Gophers fan, but this has to be one of the most insane things I have ever seen posted here! UND is now comparing itself to Anchorage! So any season in which UND finishes higher than Anchorage is now considered a roaring success? We are the Fighting Sioux, I know that doesn't mean much to some fans anymore, but the only school UND's hockey team has to measure up against is UND. We have long ago set a standard for what makes a great hockey program. It doesn't matter how we finish compared to Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, BC, or especially Alaska fricken' Anchorage. The boys that put on that Sioux jersey next year need to measure up to UND standards, which is winning conference titles and national championships. Who cares about anyone else?

WE ARE THE FIGHTING SIOUX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok, what I meant to say while people are hacking on Hakstol it could be a lot worse WE COULD BE CHEERING FOR A HORRIBLE TEAM LIKE UAA. I hope that clears things up. Last time I check they haven't been the NCAA playoffs since when? 1983?

Oh how the mighty have fallen - UND used to measure itself by NCs, not by its final WCHA standing. Certainly not with respect to UAA.

btw - I am not suggesting that UND fire Hak. Personally I think he's done just about all you can ask save for the FF woes. If he continues to run a clean program and get back to the FF a NC will eventually follow. Unlike Denny ****** Green. :silly:

I think Denny Green is beter than the Moron coaching the Vikings right now.

I just threw UAA out there because they are a door mat team and the last three years they were dismal, I could have thrown out any number of CCHA, CHA or HE teams. Do people really suggest we throw Hakstol out on his nose because he has been to the Final Five four years in a row and lost? Let

I suppose it doesn't really matter in the end, but at least York's BC teams were competetive in most of the Frozen Fours. They barely lost to Mich St two years ago, close game with Wisc in 06, close with Sioux in 00, and also with Mich in 98. At least they came to play. The bad part is the total choke job the Sioux have pulled the last 2 years. Sure the score doesn't look too bad from 07, but it was not that close. The whole game was 2 on 1 BC rushes.

No you can't get rid of Hak when you make 4 straight Frozen Fours. However, I think the comparisons to Woog are 100% fair until Hak proves he can win the big one.

I won't argue against that. While I think Hakstol is a good coach he does need to win the big game and get the monkey off his back and win one soon or he will be compared to the Woogster.

Please tell me you didn't just say that. :silly:

As for the topic at hand, I think the biggest problem with this program right now is that we are playing like the Minnesota Wild instead of the great Sioux teams of old. This dump and chase, trapping style does not match up well against teams like Boston College. Michigan State had teams like this in the 1990's and they never lived up to the hype of the regular season. As long as we build our teams like this, I think we will have trouble winning the big one.

Sorry, but I don't think the Vikings have had a coach who could..you know... coach since Bud Grant.

Childress isn't a BIGGER moron than Green. He is merely ANOTHER moron hired to coach the Queens.

Sorry, but I don't think the Vikings have had a coach who could..you know... coach since Bud Grant.

Childress isn't a BIGGER moron than Green. He is merely ANOTHER moron hired to coach the Queens.

Childress has to be successful or he will be out this season. I would take a lossing season by the vikes to be done with him.

I think they are going to be good even with Childress and TJac this season.

No you can't get rid of Hak when you make 4 straight Frozen Fours. However, I think the comparisons to Woog are 100% fair until Hak proves he can win the big one.

If the Sioux are fortunate to make it to the Frozen Four in the near future, Hak needs to find the key to getting his team emotionally ready after the Regionals. Hak and his assistants need a coaching seminar or something that gets the team over the top on this! I'm tired of the Sioux totally tanking it in the end. ???

no sioux fan is going to argue with you that the last four frozen fours have been very dissapointing, but that doesn't all rest on hak. you've got to look at the guys who actually took to the ice, and the opponents we faced. having been in denver last year, i can tell you it was even more depressing being there in person, but you still cheer on the sioux, and be grateful we get to watch a team of this caliber year in and year out. i hope to get to see more frozen fours involving the sioux in the (near) future, and of course hope for a better effort and outcome. but i don't think hak should be drawn and quartered for those four performances, even though as the head coach, of course he shoulders the blame.

no sioux fan is going to argue with you that the last four frozen fours have been very dissapointing, but that doesn't all rest on hak. you've got to look at the guys who actually took to the ice, and the opponents we faced. having been in denver last year, i can tell you it was even more depressing being there in person, but you still cheer on the sioux, and be grateful we get to watch a team of this caliber year in and year out. i hope to get to see more frozen fours involving the sioux in the (near) future, and of course hope for a better effort and outcome. but i don't think hak should be drawn and quartered for those four performances, even though as the head coach, of course he shoulders the blame.

I agree. Believe me, I'm not out to slam hak. I feel very fortunate to have someone of hak's caliber coaching the Sioux. However, I believe that it is also the coaching staffs role to ensure that the team is totally vested before game time. It just seems to me that there is something missing - be it simple motivation, or having a fire in the belly. We know that they have the talent. It just totally kills me to see the Sioux get out played by an Eastern team. Obviously, I need to get a life to get so bent over this. Drop the damn puck already! ???

I'm not sure when actual practice starts, but I work at the ralph and the teams are in pre season right now and they get so much ice time stuff per week. and i know the guys are always in the weight room. I'm not sure if the practices are open to the public. this probably doesn't answer any questions, just a bunch of useless info i bet. oops!