SiouxSports.com Forum

Wild Draft Parise?

747Guy

Would that be good in terms of Parise staying longer?

I think so because the Wild have a pretty low payroll. I don't forsee them throwing a large amount of money at Parise in the near future. He'll probably stay around another 2 years or so. Can we count on him staying all four? IMHO, no. I think it will be a David Hale type situation.

The Wild don't seem to be in a rush to move ahead their young talent. It would seem Bouchard and Gaborik are talents so exceptional they were able to make a contribution at a young age. I'm no expert but from my perspective they seem willing to bring players along slowly. Plus, the Houston team has a number of young talented players on it, so they are not lacking there either. Just my guess.

This is Shooter we are talking about...the only difference between him and Sid is Shooter actually went to college :glare:

No offense but I still dont like this pick for the Wild. The Wild need big power forwards not more undersized playmakers. I am not knocking Parise I just dont think he fits the needs the Wild have. They lack size, something Parise is lacking.

Would that be good in terms of Parise staying longer?

I think the Wild don't really have one trend over the other. There are instances in which they have been more patient and a few instances in which they did the opposite.

For instance, if you look at Bouchard, I don't see him as being far superior to Parise. Bouchard is physically even smaller than Parise is and I would gather they are relatively similar in regards to hockey sense and skill..... the Wild felt Bouchard was ready to play NHL last year so it is possible they may feel similar about Parise.

I would also say that unlike some NHL teams, the Wild seem more open to bringing smaller players into the lineup at a faster pace.

But I don't feel anybody can honestly say what they'd do because the Wild haven't shown a major tendency either way. If they feel a guy is ready (even one as slight as Bouchard), they will take him right away.

Risebrough has mentioned that the team is looking to get younger as well so they may be looking to bring more prospects in to challenge.

My feeling is Parise will be gone if the Wild stay in their current draft spot anyway. I am hoping they'll trade up from their current spot to get a better player but I guess we'll see.

Whether Parise stays or not has a lot to do with how he'll perform this coming season, doesn't it? He got overlooked in the national spotlight because of UND's slump at the end of the season, but still finished with an exceptionally strong 60+ points as a natural freshman.

How can an NHL team not give him an offer if he scores 70+ points? For that matter, don't you all think that Bochenski and Schneider are at risk for early departure after this coming season? Those guys could score 70+ and 50+ points, if all goes well.

I think even the most biased Sioux fan would have to admit that Parise probably won't be ready for an NHL line for another year or two, at least. He still has alot of growing and learning to do. Most NHL teams probably are going to watch their payrolls in view of the likelihood of a strike/work stoppage and not rush to sign high $$$ draft picks unless they can contribute almost immediately. It's cheaper than having them earn their stripes in the AHL.

On a somewhat related note, I understand that some of NHLPA reps are whispering that the strike/work stoppage could last 12-18 mos. :angry::glare:

In any case, I do believe it is good policy for an NHL team to look for draftees in their region. You want the best talent, but you also want some local talent to draw in those crossover fans from college and junior ranks. IMO, there isn't enough of that in the NHL.

On a somewhat related note, I understand that some of NHLPA reps are whispering that the strike/work stoppage could last 12-18 mos. :angry::glare:

If it lasts that long they might as well keep on striking til the end of time cause NO ONE will care. The league is in shambles anyways and a strike that lasts more than a few days could cause irreparable harm.

I think even the most biased Sioux fan would have to admit that Parise probably won't be ready for an NHL line for another year or two, at least. He still has alot of growing and learning to do. Most NHL teams probably are going to watch their payrolls in view of the likelihood of a strike/work stoppage and not rush to sign high $$$ draft picks unless they can contribute almost immediately. It's cheaper than having them earn their stripes in the AHL.

Of course Parise is not yet ready for the NHL. He needs to put on a few pounds of muscle before he will be even considered ready by the NHL organizations.

On the work stoppage note, the league and the players really need to think about what they are doing. Look what happened to baseball. And as much as we don't like to admit it, baseball was more popular at that time than hockey is now.

As much as I'd like to see Parise play for the Wild, I tend to agree with Handyman on this issue. The Wild have plenty of small speedy playmakers, but they are lacking in the big forwards. In reality someone like Vanek would probably be a better draft. Hopefully the wild can trade up for a higher pick, but who knows... I would like to see Parise go before #21 anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Since we all seem so interested in the predictions of such knowing ;) sources,

who's going to post the predictions of Dark Star and Grandpa Sid? ;):D

The draft will be what it will be. The days after the draft will be the ones I'm interested in watching. There could be some very interesting story lines.