SiouxSports.com Forum

Ryan Duncan

mjchewy

I think Duncan's drop in points last year was not b/c of the loss of Toews, but more so due to the fact that teams now knew to keep an eye on him and he received alot more attention and harassment. This will still be the case next year, and depending on who he is lined up with, he may yet again have a drop in points, but I don't agree with the idea that he needs to be surrounded by good players to be good, its more of a matter of teams keying in on him more and more, especially with TJ gone now. I still think he will put up good numbers, maybe just more assists than goals. Although if Gregoire and Toews are as good as we think they are, that line could rival the DOT line of 2 years ago.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Duncan's drop in points last year was not b/c of the loss of Toews, but more so due to the fact that teams now knew to keep an eye on him and he received alot more attention and harassment. This will still be the case next year, and depending on who he is lined up with, he may yet again have a drop in points, but I don't agree with the idea that he needs to be surrounded by good players to be good, its more of a matter of teams keying in on him more and more, especially with TJ gone now. I still think he will put up good numbers, maybe just more assists than goals. Although if Gregoire and Toews are as good as we think they are, that line could rival the DOT line of 2 years ago.

If I'm not mistaken he put up some pretty good numbers in juniors without the likes of toews or oshie playing along side him.

We subtracted 18 goals from JT and another 13 from Porter - only Vande and Kozek picked up the slack, the freshmen did not.

The opposition had fewer guys to key on last year vs. 06-07 and Duncs received most of the attention.

Duncan's importance on the power play cannot be overstated. If they play to prevent him from scoring from his "office" (which most will), it opens up other spaces on the ice. Even if he doesn't score, he is a force on the PP.

Rumor was he was all but signed at the FF. I wasn't directly told that, it was a grape viner from someone who post's regularly on here.

Good for college hockey, talent like his and a Hobey winner playing out his eligability is a great thing. Even if the little crapper plays for your squad :)

Cool to see that he could also break Porter's record for consecutive games played as well.

To break that record he would have to play 40+ games that would mean another trip to the frozen four. :)

Mr. Duncan coming back is huge. For him to show this kind of loyalty speaks volumes regarding the program, Hak, and most especially himself. I have no doubt that a desire to finish his education palyed no small part in his decision. It is incredibly refreshing to see. He may now very well be my all time favorite Sioux - a stud's stud. I hope the fans all make him feel the love when he is introduced at the first home game next season.

i have nothing but respect for Duncan. he carries himself and others around him so well. he never gets himself into trouble, either. i know im not alone when i say he is a tremendous asset to UND in every respect, not just his play.

Not really sure why everyone is SO SHOCKED he came back......he was UNDRAFTED. But next year hasn't started yet......so still time for him to leave....money does talk.

Not to rain on your parade but he is one of the top players in the WCHA. :D:D

Yes, everyone listen to the newb!! He (or she, whatever) must be right! :D:D

Just cause I am a newbie doesn't mean that I don't know what I am talking about. just reading some of the posts from some people in here.......very little knowledge of what they are talking about.

Theo Fluery was one of the smallest players to play in the NHL at 5'6" and about 180lbs. Duncan is the same height but is 20lbs lighter. Nathan Gerbe is also a short guy standing only 5'5" but he is a very quick player and can be physical. Duncan is physical but he lacks speed.

Hockey fact:

The smallest player to play in the NHL was Roy Worters who was a goalie in the 1920's and 30's standing only 5'3".

Not really sure why everyone is SO SHOCKED he came back......he was UNDRAFTED. But next year hasn't started yet......so still time for him to leave....money does talk.

When you put the words you did in caps, to me it sounds mildly insulting. He was considered a risk to leave, and many thought he would as he did receive interest as a free agent. And when a guy like Ryan Duncan says he's coming back, I'll believe him. Maybe you didn't mean it to sound insulting, but that's how it came across.

Oh, and I'm not saying you don't know anything, as I'm sure you do...just stating a personal opinion.

Just cause I am a newbie doesn't mean that I don't know what I am talking about. just reading some of the posts from some people in here.......very little knowledge of what they are talking about.

Right, but just because of the fact that you are a new poster, you should maybe watch what you say in your first few posts (few being like 200). There may be some SS posters who have little knowledge, but most are respected because, for the most part, they didn't start up and bash players right away. (unless of course you count all the Gopher and other trolls)

Just saying don't bash a player in one of your first 2 posts. That won't get you much respect around here to get ya started.

Why does every new poster have to create a bunch of NOISE? Ryan Duncan was highly sought after by a number of teams. this year it diminished(i would guess) because he didnt win the hobey, and those teams probably knew that he wanted to graduate.

BTW, undrafted players are, in some cases, the most dangerous flight risks.

Does it?

I seem to recall that the Blues made a big push to sign him after his Hobey year. Sure, it may have been half talent related and other half person reasons (The Blues thought that, if they signed Duncan, they'd get Oshie to sign earlier). However, Duncan turned down said money. Rookie max or not, he was undrafted so anything would be higher than he'd get just signing an AHL/ECHL or other pro league contract.

Money may talk to many, and I'm sure Duncan thought hard about taking the money, but he came back. And he came back again. I'm sure NHL teams will wait. He may not get the same money that Toews or Oshie got (I'm sure he won't). However, I think NHL teams will be interested.

Gretzky wasn't the fastest. He was just really smart on the ice and found ways to be where defenders weren't and had a stick that was unmatchable.

You never know. I have my own doubts on Duncan and the NHL, but I think Duncan will get some looks even after his senior season.

what does being undrafted have to do with it, Jordan Parise was also undrafted and left early. The Blues were seriously looking at Duncan last year, but held back when he said that he wanted to come back. Yes, there is still plenty of time for him to leave, but I believe that Ryan is a man of his word and won't back out of his word to Coach Hakstol, his teammates, and the fans.

of this very little knowledge, we do know what we have read and heard about our players. I may not know everything, but I do know some and that does count as well. Part of this board is listening to fans opinions, mostly Sioux because it is a Sioux message board. Most of the posters here that have been around awhile are respected, if you want respect as Sioux Yeah Yeah said, I would recommend not bashing one of our players in your first two posts on here. You are always welcome to post here, just try to keep it respectful to others. Welcome to the board.

I guess I didn't think he/she was bashing Duncan so much as saying Duncan came into college a relatively unheralded player, especially by the pros. Therefore, as fans it shouldn't be a big surprise that he's staying.

Fact is, Duncan had a great year his sophomore year, was still a big contributor last year but didn't look as big of a factor. Do we love him as Sioux fans? Heck yes. Does that mean pro teams will be knocking down his door? Not necessarily. Certainly undrafted players have changed the minds of the pro teams during their college careers, but not every one will, and it's difficult for us fans to know what does and doesn't interest a pro team about our favorite player. And it's difficult for us to know just how serious a pro team's interest is.

Whether they are or aren't interested in Duncan who cares. We're fortunate to get to watch him another year.

16 Ryan Duncan F SO | 43GP 31G 26A 57PTS. 1.3PPG

16 Ryan Duncan F JR | 43GP 18G 22A 40PTS. 0.9PPG

#1 reason he (atleast to me) wasn't a risk to leave. You drop 17pts going from a So. to Jr. Not to mention 13 less goals. A lot of people said after Toews left that Duncan's numbers would suffer and they did. The DOT line was a great line. Duncan and Toews especially working together to get the numbers they did. Toews from what I watched of the Sioux games was more of the set-up man for Duncan and Oshie. He got the puck to them and they buried it. Like I said before Duncan aint a bad player, I just didn't consider him a risk to leave given his production drop without Toews there.

However, if the Chicago Blackhawks were smart they would draft Duncan this year or pick him up after next year on a free agent contract. Thus reuniting him with Toews and they could be just as effect in the NHL as they were in the college.

16 Ryan Duncan F SO | 43GP 31G 26A 57PTS. 1.3PPG

16 Ryan Duncan F JR | 43GP 18G 22A 40PTS. 0.9PPG

#1 reason he (atleast to me) wasn't a risk to leave. You drop 17pts going from a So. to Jr. Not to mention 13 less goals. A lot of people said after Toews left that Duncan's numbers would suffer and they did. The DOT line was a great line. Duncan and Toews especially working together to get the numbers they did. Toews from what I watched of the Sioux games was more of the set-up man for Duncan and Oshie. He got the puck to them and they buried it. Like I said before Duncan aint a bad player, I just didn't consider him a risk to leave given his production drop without Toews there.

However, if the Chicago Blackhawks were smart they would draft Duncan this year or pick him up after next year on a free agent contract. Thus reuniting him with Toews and they could be just as effect in the NHL as they were in the college.

duncan can't be drafted, he is too old. he will get a free agent contract after his senior season. he may or may not play in the nhl, because of his size and speed (or lack thereof), but he is a great hockey player and will have a career in hockey if he chooses to. you take a talent like toews off a line, and of course the other team will be able to focus on duncs and osh, but that doesn't mean they are not great, because they are both great and on the list of the best to wear the sioux sweater.

It will be interesting to see what happens. Especially now that the Blues got Oshie.

St. Louis was definitely interested in Duncan. However, I'm wondering how much of that had to do with getting Oshie?

Also, signing with St. Louis didn't really help Sejna's career.

All I can say is this: After next season, Ryan, if someone waves a contract in front of you, TAKE IT AND RUN! See where it goes and have fun, dude.

Really, that's all he can do.

One thing that isn't getting much press yet is that Duncan has yet to miss a game in a UND jersey (I believe). That counts for a lot. He has also been extremely consistent averaging right around a point per game. When Toews and Oshie were majorly slumping (for them) early two years ago, it was Duncan who was burying the puck. That is one of the main reasons he won the Hobey. Even though his numbers dropped last year, he improved as a player, and his assist numbers stayed relatively stable despite rotating line mates. His marksmanship is really a thing of beauty.

I think he will sign a free agent contract when this year is over. Hopefully he has a degree by then, as I understand he is a pretty decent student as well.

duncan can't be drafted, he is too old. he will get a free agent contract after his senior season. he may or may not play in the nhl, because of his size and speed (or lack thereof), but he is a great hockey player and will have a career in hockey if he chooses to. you take a talent like toews off a line, and of course the other team will be able to focus on duncs and osh, but that doesn't mean they are not great, because they are both great and on the list of the best to wear the sioux sweater.

I would bet we could collectively come up with twenty to thirty players who have been and UND and were better hockey players than Ryan Duncan...maybe more. And thirty points sounds about right this year unless he plays with someone who can create for others, cause he sure can't create for himself