SiouxSports.com Forum

Ryan Duncan

mjchewy

I would bet we could collectively come up with twenty to thirty players who have been and UND and were better hockey players than Ryan Duncan...maybe more. And thirty points sounds about right this year unless he plays with someone who can create for others, cause he sure can't create for himself

Better NHL players maybe...but I can only come up with 1 other Hobey Baker winner. You could make the case for nearly all great UND players that their numbers would be lower without other players to help create opportunities. The idea that you have to carry an entire line or team on your shoulders to be considered great is not realistic and in fact if Sioux hockey gets back to that level it will be like watching Landon Wilson in the mid-90's...great player but terrible team.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's quiet.

He's humble.

He leads by example.

He shows up every night.

He does the job in front of him.

He shows up in headlines and pictures ... with a Hobey Baker Award.

Hang a "C" on him.

Tell the rest to learn from the model.

He's quiet.

He's humble.

He leads by example.

He shows up every night.

He does the job in front of him.

He shows up in headlines and pictures ... with a Hobey Baker Award.

Hang a "C" on him.

Tell the rest to learn from the model.

I totally agree...I know my 6 year old boy is happy Ryan is coming back for his senior year...he can still keep his autographed Ryan Duncan poster on his bedroom door.

I would bet we could collectively come up with twenty to thirty players who have been and UND and were better hockey players than Ryan Duncan...maybe more. And thirty points sounds about right this year unless he plays with someone who can create for others, cause he sure can't create for himself

Unfortunately, your assessment may very well be correct.

While I'm sure we can come up with a list of 30 or more players who were great, how many of them turned down offers at the peak of their stock to return to UND? Very few I would guess.

Duncan maybe isn't the greatest (or second greatest) player to wear the sweater, I won't argue that. But his work ethic, personality, and loyalty will earn a place for him among or above all of the greatest Sioux players.

I think we're much better off having him back than not!

there are many shades of grey when it comes to being a "great" hockey player...what makes duncan not in the top 30? size is the only definite answer. i also think duncan will score more than 30, even 40.

I think next year at this time we will be saying wow, that was an awesome deal for Ducan to come back for his senior season.

I am not going to kick him out of the pool and welcome him back. Can you imagine if the coaches team him up with some kind of cominbation of Toews, Trupp Duncan they could be an explosive line.

I think in order for Duncan to get NHL offers he needs to have a season like last year if not better. He had an decent freshman year, scoring 36pts (16G, 20A), considering the youthful team back then. His Soph. year was his highlight year with 57pts (31G, 26A) and then last year with 40pts (18G, 22A). That gives him 132 pts in 133 games, which is a ppg at .99. I think next year will be his "prove it" year because he came in with very little fanfare, thanks to Oshie and Lee. Not hating on them but they were the ones with expectations to meet and Duncan just slid in. Duncan was part of the great DOT line, well then it turned into the DO line with Toews leaving, and now he has neither Oshie or Toews. So I think this season will speak alot to how good Duncan is.

I have to agree with what was said earlier about hanging the "C" on him. I still believe that he was the benifactor of playing with Oshie and Toews, to go with what was said earlier who's going to create for him cause he can't create for himself

I think in order for Duncan to get NHL offers he needs to have a season like last year if not better. He had an decent freshman year, scoring 36pts (16G, 20A), considering the youthful team back then. His Soph. year was his highlight year with 57pts (31G, 26A) and then last year with 40pts (18G, 22A). That gives him 132 pts in 133 games, which is a ppg at .99. I think next year will be his "prove it" year because he came in with very little fanfare, thanks to Oshie and Lee. Not hating on them but they were the ones with expectations to meet and Duncan just slid in. Duncan was part of the great DOT line, well then it turned into the DO line with Toews leaving, and now he has neither Oshie or Toews. So I think this season will speak alot to how good Duncan is.

I have to agree with what was said earlier about hanging the "C" on him. I still believe that he was the benifactor of playing with Oshie and Toews, to go with what was said earlier who's going to create for him cause he can't create for himself

WCHA-FAN:

I think your analysis is spot-on.

First off, scoring 16G and 20A in your freshman year is a hell of a lot better than a decent year. Secondly, I think Toews came in with a lot more fanfare than either Lee or Oshie.

Lastly, your point of Duncan playing on the DOT line and then with Oshie this year being the reason for his numbers I can agree with but what are the coaches suppose to do only put 4 guys on the ice when Oshie and Toews are out there. No they need to find someone who can gel with them and put the puck in the net and Duncan was the ideal fit for the situation. Case in point, should we take away the NHL Hall-of-Fame or diminish any of Jari Kurri's accomplishments just because he was able to play with Gretzky the majority of his career?

First off, scoring 16G and 20A in your freshman year is a hell of a lot better than a decent year. Secondly, I think Toews came in with a lot more fanfare than either Lee or Oshie.

Lastly, your point of Duncan playing on the DOT line and then with Oshie this year being the reason for his numbers I can agree with but what are the coaches suppose to do only put 4 guys on the ice when Oshie and Toews are out there. No they need to find someone who can gel with them and put the puck in the net and Duncan was the ideal fit for the situation. Case in point, should we take away the NHL Hall-of-Fame or diminish any of Jari Kurri's accomplishments just because he was able to play with Gretzky the majority of his career?

Kevin Maxwell 82 (All-time leading Freshman pt total)

Zach Parise 61

Cary Eades 50 (same year as Maxwell)

Brady Murray 46

T.J. Oshie 45

Ryan Bayda 40

Jonathan Toews 39

Travis Zajac 39

Not to mention the the guys between Maxwell and Parise and also down to Eades roundings out a group of 3 with 50 goals.

I count myself among Ryan Duncan's biggest fans. UND is very lucky to have someone with his character and skill play there at all, much less stay for 4 years. That said, I think he will have a tough time establishing a good NHL career. Someone his size has to have enough speed and quickness to make him a standout at the NHL level. As good as he is, I don't think he has that. He has enough to be a star at the D1 college level, but he will be too vulnerable to the body in the big time. I hope I'm wrong, and given my past history, I probably am.

Main thing, for now, is that the Sioux don't have to move his things out of his office over there by the dot.

Kevin Maxwell 82 (All-time leading Freshman pt total)

Zach Parise 61

Cary Eades 50 (same year as Maxwell)

Brady Murray 46

T.J. Oshie 45

Ryan Bayda 40

Jonathan Toews 39

Travis Zajac 39

Not to mention the the guys between Maxwell and Parise and also down to Eades roundings out a group of 3 with 50 goals.

You're comparing Duncan to alot of freshmen that came in as very high NHL draft picks and were expected to do very well. I would consider Duncan's freshman season as still very good. And you can't argue with his soph year...bringing home the Hobey says it all.

While he probably won't have that much of a shot in the NHL because of his size, he will still always be one of my favorite Sioux players of all-time. And he will still be one of our offensive leaders next season. Will his numbers be as good as his soph/jr seasons? Maybe, maybe not. But he is a player that excels in other areas, away from the stat sheet.

Short and sweet: The Sioux are lucky to have Ryan return for next season, and will be a better team because of it. I look forward to watching him wear the Sioux jersey for another season. :D

You're comparing Duncan to alot of freshmen that came in as very high NHL draft picks and were expected to do very well. I would consider Duncan's freshman season as still very good. And you can't argue with his soph year...bringing home the Hobey says it all.

While he probably won't have that much of a shot in the NHL because of his size, he will still always be one of my favorite Sioux players of all-time. And he will still be one of our offensive leaders next season. Will his numbers be as good as his soph/jr seasons? Maybe, maybe not. But he is a player that excels in other areas, away from the stat sheet.

Short and sweet: The Sioux are lucky to have Ryan return for next season, and will be a better team because of it. I look forward to watching him wear the Sioux jersey for another season. :D

His numbers won't be anywhere near his soph. season this coming year. Jr. maybe but someone has to get him the puck. You could argue that maybe some Hobey winners were the beneficiaries of the people around them. I would count Duncan as one of them. Toews, atleast stats wise was better than Duncan their sophmore year. 1.35PPG for Toews, 1.33 for Duncan, and just to keep DOT stats together, Oshie was a 1.21. To find Duncan in APG you have to go all the way down to 70th to see him at .60. Toews and Oshie were 9 and 11 respectively with .82 and .81 APG. Toews left, and Duncan suffered for not having Toews to help feed pucks, and next year with Oshie gone, Hak has to either hope that Duncan picks it up or find someone to feed pucks to Duncan.

I think the Sioux are happy to have Ryan back but like i have said before i never considered him a risk to leave after this last season. I think NHL teams were a little skeptical of him and what happened to his numbers after Toews left and will keep close tabs on his numbers to see what he does with Oshie gone as well. If Duncan wants to go to the NHL I think he either has to pick up those numbers or talk to his teammates into feeding him pucks.

His numbers won't be anywhere near his soph. season this coming year. Jr. maybe but someone has to get him the puck. You could argue that maybe some Hobey winners were the beneficiaries of the people around them. I would count Duncan as one of them. Toews, atleast stats wise was better than Duncan their sophmore year. 1.35PPG for Toews, 1.33 for Duncan, and just to keep DOT stats together, Oshie was a 1.21. To find Duncan in APG you have to go all the way down to 70th to see him at .60. Toews and Oshie were 9 and 11 respectively with .82 and .81 APG. Toews left, and Duncan suffered for not having Toews to help feed pucks, and next year with Oshie gone, Hak has to either hope that Duncan picks it up or find someone to feed pucks to Duncan.

Nice job focusing on just the numbers. The fact of the matter is that while Duncan's numbers did go down last year, he also was one of our best defensive forwards and spent a good chunk of ice time out on the penalty kill. Regardless of whether his numbers go up or down next season, the Sioux are a much better team with him coming back.

Of course NHL teams are skeptical of him...he's like 5'4". :D

But I'm not worried about what his NHL career will be like...or even if he'll have a NHL career. I'm just excited to see him out on the ice for his senior season and see what he can do as a Captain for the Sioux.

Nice job focusing on just the numbers. The fact of the matter is that while Duncan's numbers did go down last year, he also was one of our best defensive forwards and spent a good chunk of ice time out on the penalty kill. Regardless of whether his numbers go up or down next season, the Sioux are a much better team with him coming back.

Of course NHL teams are skeptical of him...he's like 5'4". :D

But I'm not worried about what his NHL career will be like...or even if he'll have a NHL career. I'm just excited to see him out on the ice for his senior season and see what he can do as a Captain for the Sioux.

The numbers are a big thing for teams. Yea Duncan is short, listed at 5'6" and just under 160lbs. But Nathan Gerbe is 5'5" and about 165lbs. The difference between those two is speed. Gerbe is a very quick player where as Duncan isn't the fastest guy out there and thats something that Duncan if he improved there would help him if he were to pursue an NHL deal next year.

As it sets up right now the Sioux are better with him because he will be a leader and most likely wearing the "C" next year. However, he won't have Oshie anymore, and his numbers did suffer without Toews last year. For the Sioux's sake I hope he has a good year next year. He was an asset to the Sioux, like you said, he did do a lot of time on the PK. Like I said in an earlier post, this season coming up will be a telling sign of how good Duncan is. I think a lot of NHL critics and even in the WCHA are going to look to him this year to put up numbers for this team. I said before that Duncan may have been the benefactor of having Oshie and Toews with him. This will be Duncan's "prove it" year. No Toews, No Oshie, lets see how he does. I don't think he will have a problem being a leader on the team, most likely wearing the "C" next year. Oshie and Toews proved how good they were, now its Duncan's turn.

We'll all just pretend you didn't mention Ryan Duncan IN THE SAME BREATH as Jari Kurri...I don't care what comparison your making.

• 3 weeks later...
I Can you imagine if the coaches team him up with some kind of cominbation of Toews, Trupp Duncan they could be an explosive line.

I was thinking about this combo myself. A couple of creative finess players that can feed nice touch passes to Dunc in his little hideout...

I haven't broken down the handedness of the line yet but if that works, this would be a very offensivly effective line!!

..These debates about Duncs skill are kind-of retorical...

here is the bottom line with Dunc and everyone who knows hockey and watches the Sioux know this:

Dunc has about the perfect hockey character

Dunc is above average in speed and maybe a little above above average in quickness

Dunc plays very physical for his size and is successfull at it

Dunc is short

Dunc can play defense well and playes the kill very well

Dunc is amongst the best who have ever played the game at the chip shot. Certainly the best college player I have ever seen in my 20 years of watching Sioux hockey. Let's just say he is the best chipper in college hockey. Let's start calling him chip.

...get Toews and Trupp to start feeding him in his hideout.