SiouxSports.com Forum

Ralph Suggestions

WiSioux

[but In a nut shell I concluded that the person who decides what tunes to play and when and whether or not to play a tune or do an ad has absoutly no consideration for the enegy in the game. This is a huge detriment to perpetuating energy and enthusiasm

One example that stickes in my mind;

In the second period, I'm thinking it was 0-0, and the Sioux hadn't been doing much to give the crowd a reason to cheer. I think it was Osh that made a couple of nice moves and got a good shot off. The save was made and of course the wistle blew. The crowd woke up and was getting kind of pumped. Sweeney was all excited- ya all know how he gets. Then right away you hear the PA doing some informatinal spew about some upcoming event or some other stupid thing. and the place goes quiet in an instant.

This is just one example. Anyone who has a home game saved should check this out for themself, tell me if I'm off the mark here.

And when they did play a song that had interactive potential they played it at a time when nothing was going on AND they couldn't play it long enough to have an effect.

"We Will Rock You" has no effect on crowd energy when you play 4.5 seconds of it. So wait to play it after a good dominating series of plays and there is engough of a stopage in play.

Here is my suggestion to the management at the Ralph. Hire someone who has a degree in psychology or someone with an advertising background. ..

Better yet...hire someone who actually "gets" hockey...the ebb and flow of the game . Your observations/comments are right on.

The list that was created above is very comprehesive and pretty much all of them are good ideas.

But the issue of getting someone who knows "the ebb and flow of the game" do the sound production has in my opinion leagues more value than any of the rest as far as changing the Ralph's atmosphere. And when I say sound production that includes when and how the PA announcer should be talking so as he doesn't deflate good crowd energy after a good bit of play.

Sounds should feed and perpetuate energy as opposed to boring announcements taking away from it.

This is the one way I feel the Ralph can change the home advantage- or lack there of-issue.

This list above doesn't state this point specifically. Also, even if it is added I fear it would be lost on those at the Ralph amongst all of the other ideas.

I think it should be addressed independently or listed at the top in bold. With a big hey! fix this!!

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Updated of everybody's suggestions

1. National anthem

1. Something different
    2. Singer on the ice (my opinion)
    3. Color guard on the ice (my opinion)

[*]Music

1. The school band

2. More of it
  3. Expand its repertoire
  4. More beer song

[*]Lineups

1. Make one song instead of two eliminating that somewhat awkward pause (my opinion)
  2. Make videos available to public
  3. Force the opposing team to watch the video

[*]Play celebrate when announcing goals

[*]Laser light show

1. New
  2. Play it Friday

[*]Organ

1. More than once a month
  2. Contemplate a live organ player (my opinion, see Frank Pelico)

[*]After the Fighting Sioux video do not play music

[*]Good old hockey game before opening faceoff

[*]Reduce the use of the clap, clap, clap your hands sound bite to once per game, not 5 or 6

[*]Advertisements

1. Overall less emphasis
  2. Less on video ring

[*]Less on the scoreboard in between periods

1. More highlights from the game during intermission

[*]New advertisements

[*]PA announcer

[*]Less long advertisements causing him to speak while puck is in play

[*]Talk less

[*]Giving scores

[*]Don

More out of town scores
More stats

Below is a copy of a post I made last year on the Ralph.

I love the Sioux but I will have to say I have been very disappointed with the atmosphere in the REA. Because I live in Boston, I follow Hockey East as a season ticket holder to BU. I go to every BU game dressed in SIOUX. Each year I make a pilgrimage to the REA to watch the Sioux play and I have to say each year I get more disappointed. The atmosphere in the Ralph can be at times like be like watching a Chess match with tons of commercials.

When I compare the two, the crowd at the Agganis is twice as loud ( it

I've been visualing the arena in my mind's eye and for the life of me don't see where a standing room area can be placed.

Sioux-cia I'm pretty sure you've been to a Hawks game, was wondering if you have been to the SRO there, its incredbile

Also, I noticed this past year that in the 300 level last row at center ice, there is a group of friends, about 20 of them that have specifically purchased the last row of tickets in that section cause they can stand the entire game (its just a wall directly behind them) and boy do they get into it. Some cute girls in there too.

how about mite games during an intermission? That's a staple at most places. Also, this year the Bruins did something called Mini One on One which was essentially a shootout competition. They would show highlights of it during intermission. It's a great way to reach out to the community and get young kids hooked on Sioux hockey.

And get more of the school song and Fight On Sioux. I think that's much more our tradition than the choreographed cheers of Cornell, Wisconsin and the liked.

Sioux-cia I'm pretty sure you've been to a Hawks game, was wondering if you have been to the SRO there, its incredbile

Also, I noticed this past year that in the 300 level last row at center ice, there is a group of friends, about 20 of them that have specifically purchased the last row of tickets in that section cause they can stand the entire game (its just a wall directly behind them) and boy do they get into it. Some cute girls in there too.

Yes, I have. I agree for those that want SRO it would be a nice addition. I just don't know where the Ralph could add SRO where there are no seats or where there would be no obstruction of view for some fans.

Another idea is to offer a promotion with ticket stubs and goals. I know that in Madison if the Badgers score five goals everyone gets a free scoop of ice cream from Culvers. Perhaps here we could do Red Pepper tacos or something like that... That way when we get to four goals we can start chanting that we want tacos :glare:

Another idea is to offer a promotion with ticket stubs and goals. I know that in Madison if the Badgers score five goals everyone gets a free scoop of ice cream from Culvers. Perhaps here we could do Red Pepper tacos or something like that... That way when we get to four goals we can start chanting that we want tacos :glare:

Free Big Mac if the Bulls score 100 and win.

Also Bulls game have the Dunkin Donuts race, just a race on the video scoreboard, 3 characters, 1 i think is a coffee, 1 a donut, 1 a bagel, everyone gets cards when they come into the stadium with their character, inbetween the 3rd and 4th quarter the race is done and boy does the crowd get into it. If your character wins you get the prize just go to the local store, that would work great with Red Pepper. I can see it now TJ Taco, Gregoire Grinder, and Eidsness Enchilada (This would also force TJ to stay an extra year if you write the contract the right way) :D

I was watching the Philly and Habs game last night and they crowd was going nuts.

I don't understand why REA can't be like that? There way too many people just coming to the

games to be seen and don't pay attention to the games. These are the same people that are getting up

during the play to go to the bathroom or get a beer while I am trying to watch the game.

(I know I said I wasn't going to participate in this thread :glare: )

Yes, I believe that there are way too many people using Sioux hockey games as a social event who don't pay attention to the game or even know all that much about hockey. But there really isn't anything anyone can do about who buys a ticket and comes to the game(s). It's not like they are going to give anyone a hockey test to see if they're worthy to be at the game or not. The Ralph just wants money, which I know they can get from ticket sales and concessions and stuff, but that's just how it works.

I agree with the other things people are saying though. Has anyone written them a letter? If a few people do that, I think it might help.

(I know I said I wasn't going to participate in this thread :glare: )

It's not like they are going to give anyone a hockey test to see if they're worthy to be at the game or not. .

That was a thing of genius. :D I like the idea.

Below is a copy of a post I made last year on the Ralph.

I love the Sioux but I will have to say I have been very disappointed with the atmosphere in the REA. Because I live in Boston, I follow Hockey East as a season ticket holder to BU. I go to every BU game dressed in SIOUX. Each year I make a pilgrimage to the REA to watch the Sioux play and I have to say each year I get more disappointed. The atmosphere in the Ralph can be at times like be like watching a Chess match with tons of commercials.

When I compare the two, the crowd at the Agganis is twice as loud ( it

Well BOBCAT, it seems that only a few of us get how much inpact this is having on crowd energy.

Most people are taking about things like people getting up during play<-- (I do agree that is something that should stop) or that the national anthem singer should be on the ice or many other ideas that are not bad but they are not big problems like the sound management issue.

I guess most people don't get how easy it is to effect human emotion. Listen to the musical score in any big time oscar movie.. its huge, music impacts our emotions in a very intense way.

We just need to get the management at the ralph to see it. They are going to have to make a few changes. Hire someone who can work the crowd, stop distracting crowd energy with adds, and even turn off the dacronics 360 degree display during play! remeber how the old ralph had the boxing ring feel. All focus was ON the ice not eslewhere.

The way the ralph runs its productions is a hindrance to the atmosphere we are looking for

How can we convince them of this? Any ideas??

match what they get in ad revenue and write them a check :glare: i agree with most of what has been addressed here, but unfortunately it is a business at the ralph, and some of these suggestions are not going to happen. some of the suggestions are legit and i would love to see the crowd rowdy and more into the game. i also agree that untimely announcements and bad music/timing really kill the crowd energy. get the students to lead, the rest of the crowd will follow.

Or the little figure skaters, but sadly I have to admit, there is bets amongst my friends and I on who goes down first.

i always wanted to bet on whether or not a cheerleader was going to fall but that happened almost every game so there was no point.

I love the mini mite games! Especially when they don't have a goalie and the little kids try to stop it themselves!

I'm willing to write a letter summarizing some of the great ideas on this thread. My only question is "Who do I send the letter to?"

I've personally experience quick responses when emailing fans@theralph.com however if you wanted to email Jody Hodgson, the General Manager, directly, his email is jodyh@theralph.com

Otherwise the mailing address is:

Ralph Engelstad Arena

One Ralph Engelstad Arena Drive

Grand Forks, ND 58203

With all due respect, let's try not to suggest still more money-making ideas to the Ralph. The number one issue in my mind is they HAVE to have someone making public address/music decisions who knows hockey. How many times did they do a commercial or promotional plug, then start some kind of music right before the puck dropped so it never had a chance to get going. Or they play a "short" tune of some kind during what turns to be a long TV timeout, and tried to play a longer song (such as "The Good Old Hockey Game" during a short stoppage with no time out. I don't mean to nitpick...I'm sure it's tricky. But it's like they have no "feel" for the game.

match what they get in ad revenue and write them a check :0 i agree with most of what has been addressed here, but unfortunately it is a business at the ralph, and some of these suggestions are not going to happen. some of the suggestions are legit and i would love to see the crowd rowdy and more into the game. i also agree that untimely announcements and bad music/timing really kill the crowd energy. get the students to lead, the rest of the crowd will follow.

WOW! Write them a check? Didn't someone do that already? Maybe 160 million isn't enough huh?:glare:?:D

... the old ralph didn't have big giant video screens and a 360 degree electric add machine and I didn't see them in the food lines at the welfare office. Also, students got in for free! and G. Adm. Tickets were 10 bucks! and it was less than 6,000 seats not over 11,000.

Anyone who buys the rational that this is something fans should ACCEPT because it is just business is weak in the mind. Oh and buy the way, that type of attitude is exactly how they get away with it!

WOW! Write them a check? Didn't someone do that already? Maybe 160 million isn't enough huh?:D?:0

... the old ralph didn't have big giant video screens and a 360 degree electric add machine and I didn't see them in the food lines at the welfare office. Also, students got in for free! and G. Adm. Tickets were 10 bucks! and it was less than 6,000 seats not over 11,000.

Anyone who buys the rational that this is something fans should ACCEPT because it is just business is weak in the mind. Oh and buy the way, that type of attitude is exactly how they get away with it!

...and a Hershey bar used to be a nickel. :glare: