SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA Tourney Game Threads - Scores

AZSIOUX

• Replies 993
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree it is all about money. But the fundamental difference is that the NHL owns these teams. ESPN doesn't. They would not be able to do squat if the NCAA would not let them. Oh yeah thats right the NCAA is busy working on other more important issues.

The only way to operate in this "new world" is to join them. I would suggest if people are big fans they should get a satellite or high speed internet. Eventually I think we will be getting all our programming via the internet and hopefully we can just order the channels that we want and pay for what we use and not this package garbage. They put too many crummy channels in with good ones because there is no demand for half the stuff on TV.

BD

I think that the fault for the college hockey coverage can be evenly split between ESPN and the NC$$. ESPN is looking out for themselves. The NC$$ just saw the dollar signs and signed the deal. They probably never even considered that ESPN could hold their sports hostage. Or else they really didn't care as long as they got paid.

You're right about going with satellite if you want more choice in sports. The internet may be the future of television, but I have also heard talk of cable companies and satellite providers going to more of a pay for what you want plan instead of the packages they have now. And that may spell the end of some of the networks that very few people watch. My guess is that we will continue to see large changes in the way that service is provided over the next decade or 2.

It isn't about media consolidation. It is about buying up product and companies trying to use that product to build up new networks. ESPN has purchased the rights to almost all of the NCAA tournaments. They have the right to do with those games what they want. They want to build ESPNU into a major cable network that is available on all cable systems. But they want those systems to pay them for using the network. Cable providers are tired of adding new channels and having to pay for them. ESPN is using college hockey and other events to try to force cable providers into putting ESPNU on their systems.

The NFL is doing the same thing with their product. They own the rights to the games and want to make a lot of money by using those games. If they own the network they can make more money than if they sell the rights to another network. Eventually I could see them putting all NFL games on their own network. They want to force the cable providers to pay them for putting the network on their system. But they want the NFL Network on basic cable like ESPN, not on extended packages or as part of sports packages. The cable providers don't want to have to pay for that channel because their customers are tired of the increasing cost of cable TV.

The Big Ten Network is just the latest to play this game. That is why people in the Twin Cities were not able to see most UMTC sporting events this year other than hockey. This whole game is about money. All of these companies want more of your money for the same product that you have been getting for years. I am not sure how to stop it, but I do know that as long as they keep making progress they will keep trying. The only example of this that I remember failing is Victory Sports and the Twins. They wanted to do the same thing. But they caved very quickly. ESPN and the NFL have very deep pockets and they will play these games for a long time if they think that they have a chance to win and establish the networks.

I understand the issues involved with this (I am a news junkie, after all). That doesn't mean I have to like it. And I won't shut up about it. Because at it's core, it IS about media consolidation. If you have more competitors in the marketplace, consumers would have more choices and these suits couldn't get away with this garbage. But with fewer choices, consumers have less power. As a result, it is always the consumer that gets the swift kick in the arse. So much for this being a consumer-driven economy. :D

The cable companies will not cave in anytime soon. Time Warner, Comcast, Cable One and even Midcontinent have lots of leverage and will use it. They are not going to let anyone tell them what to do or how to run their companies. Once you open up that Pandora's box, you won't be able to close it ever again. That is why FSN-North refused to cave in on the Victory Sports issue. Carl "Tightwad" Pohlad hasn't tried anything since. I have always believed that to get anywhere in life or business or whatever, you have to bargain in good faith and reach a solution that both sides can live with and profit from. Apparently, ESPN and the NFL have forgotten about that. And it will cost them viewers eventually.

I love Bob Norton he's the most loveable drunk on tv!

Warroad is now on the Iron Range, North Dakota was beaten by Holy Cross.! :D God I love Tivo!! :D

I must be related to Bob Norton tonight. I can't get anything right.

Good luck with that, then. Notre Dame squeaks into the NCAA's and takes out Hockey East's regular season champ without too much trouble. I'd say Colorado College had better be careful!

Just proves Hockey East isn't any good either. :D

OK but seriously, in any given game in the NCAA's, anybody can win.** Even Princeton, if UND isn't careful.

** Except St Cloud State.

Just proves Hockey East isn't any good either. ;)

OK but seriously, in any given game in the NCAA's, anybody can win.** Even Princeton, if UND isn't careful.

** Except St Cloud State. And Minnesota in Grand Forks!

Added to your post! :)

If the Saturday Final Five verison of our team shows up tomorrow, we'll be fine. If the Friday Final Five version of our team shows up, that is another story. :lol:

Has anyone else been doing alot of push ups tonight?? I just keep getting this strange feeling I should buy something to help me do some more ..... :lol:;):)

Yup. I'm also thinking about a mini swimming pool too. Did you know the Push Up thing was invented by a Navy Seal?