SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA Tourney Game Threads - Scores

AZSIOUX

And a lot of us can't watch it because of the suits at the Elitist Sports Programming Network. :D

Sorry, but I am seriously ticked off about the lack of TV coverage. Thanks to everyone for the updates.

You think you're frustrated. My son's got the remote control.

• Replies 993
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't forget, we used to get regional games on cable in past years. I used to sit in the Memorial Union and at home on regional weekend and watch game after game (this was during the late 1990's). And I think you could make the argument that College Hockey has more exposure and media attention now than it did back then. This isn't about market size, it's about media consolidation and lack of competition. If it were all about market size, stuff like spelling bees and lawnmower racing wouldn't be on any channel except community access.

And it isn't just College Hockey, the NFL is pulling the same crap with NFL Network (which only about 40% of people have access to). Mark my words, this is going to get worse and worse. In all sports. :D:D

It isn't about media consolidation. It is about buying up product and companies trying to use that product to build up new networks. ESPN has purchased the rights to almost all of the NCAA tournaments. They have the right to do with those games what they want. They want to build ESPNU into a major cable network that is available on all cable systems. But they want those systems to pay them for using the network. Cable providers are tired of adding new channels and having to pay for them. ESPN is using college hockey and other events to try to force cable providers into putting ESPNU on their systems.

The NFL is doing the same thing with their product. They own the rights to the games and want to make a lot of money by using those games. If they own the network they can make more money than if they sell the rights to another network. Eventually I could see them putting all NFL games on their own network. They want to force the cable providers to pay them for putting the network on their system. But they want the NFL Network on basic cable like ESPN, not on extended packages or as part of sports packages. The cable providers don't want to have to pay for that channel because their customers are tired of the increasing cost of cable TV.

The Big Ten Network is just the latest to play this game. That is why people in the Twin Cities were not able to see most UMTC sporting events this year other than hockey. This whole game is about money. All of these companies want more of your money for the same product that you have been getting for years. I am not sure how to stop it, but I do know that as long as they keep making progress they will keep trying. The only example of this that I remember failing is Victory Sports and the Twins. They wanted to do the same thing. But they caved very quickly. ESPN and the NFL have very deep pockets and they will play these games for a long time if they think that they have a chance to win and establish the networks.

That early 90s dynasty at Lake Superior State University with a .541 winning percentage is your 5th place team on that list. Too bad they couldn't have kept it up. BTW isn't the HC for ND the same guy who coached that team?

BD

That early 90s dynasty at Lake Superior State University with a .541 winning percentage is your 5th place team on that list. Too bad they couldn't have kept it up. BTW isn't the HC for ND the same guy who coached that team?

BD

Yes, Jeff Jackson coached Lake Superior State and is now the coach for Notre Dame.

It isn't about media consolidation. It is about buying up product and companies trying to use that product to build up new networks. ESPN has purchased the rights to almost all of the NCAA tournaments. They have the right to do with those games what they want. They want to build ESPNU into a major cable network that is available on all cable systems. But they want those systems to pay them for using the network. Cable providers are tired of adding new channels and having to pay for them. ESPN is using college hockey and other events to try to force cable providers into putting ESPNU on their systems.

The NFL is doing the same thing with their product. They own the rights to the games and want to make a lot of money by using those games. If they own the network they can make more money than if they sell the rights to another network. Eventually I could see them putting all NFL games on their own network. They want to force the cable providers to pay them for putting the network on their system. But they want the NFL Network on basic cable like ESPN, not on extended packages or as part of sports packages. The cable providers don't want to have to pay for that channel because their customers are tired of the increasing cost of cable TV.

The Big Ten Network is just the latest to play this game. That is why people in the Twin Cities were not able to see most UMTC sporting events this year other than hockey. This whole game is about money. All of these companies want more of your money for the same product that you have been getting for years. I am not sure how to stop it, but I do know that as long as they keep making progress they will keep trying. The only example of this that I remember failing is Victory Sports and the Twins. They wanted to do the same thing. But they caved very quickly. ESPN and the NFL have very deep pockets and they will play these games for a long time if they think that they have a chance to win and establish the networks.

Agree it is all about money. But the fundamental difference is that the NHL owns these teams. ESPN doesn't. They would not be able to do squat if the NCAA would not let them. Oh yeah thats right the NCAA is busy working on other more important issues.

The only way to operate in this "new world" is to join them. I would suggest if people are big fans they should get a satellite or high speed internet. Eventually I think we will be getting all our programming via the internet and hopefully we can just order the channels that we want and pay for what we use and not this package garbage. They put too many crummy channels in with good ones because there is no demand for half the stuff on TV.

BD

Agree it is all about money. But the fundamental difference is that the NHL owns these teams. ESPN doesn't. They would not be able to do squat if the NCAA would not let them. Oh yeah thats right the NCAA is busy working on other more important issues.

The only way to operate in this "new world" is to join them. I would suggest if people are big fans they should get a satellite or high speed internet. Eventually I think we will be getting all our programming via the internet and hopefully we can just order the channels that we want and pay for what we use and not this package garbage. They put too many crummy channels in with good ones because there is no demand for half the stuff on TV.

BD

Sorry meant NFL. Guess my heart is thinking hockey!!

BD