SiouxSports.com Forum

goaltender situation

schmidtdoggydog

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 'ushockeynews' website is much more likely to publish editorial type content. The comments about Josh are just comments in my opinion. They like to be first to report things and as a result sometimes they get it wrong.

If this is true , Zach will be here all 4 years. This team belongs to Zach, DB is along for the ride the next 3 years. I think this explains the pulling of the scholarship from the Topeka Goalie.

(Not sure if you were being sarcastic, but...) IMO, the signing of Jordan no way implies that Zach will be here all 4 years. It certainly implies that Zach is coming back for at least 1 more year, but not 3.

And I'm sure Blais is still in control of the team and his recruiting. Jordan put up impressive numbers (not stellar, but impressive) and appears to have earned this opportunity on his own, regardless of his name.

What we need here is some local area verification. Somebody help... There always seems to be some one who is in the "know" about these issues but this one has confused all of us.

Coach Blais-or anyone else-- If you read this please chime in... Whats going on between the pipes?

My two cents

Walk-on Sofie,Ranfranz and Ziggy all will tryout ,why not DB is getting them for free

Brandt will recieve 75% of a ride

Siembia, Praise will each get 50% rides

Look at the stable of goalies DB will have for less then 2 full rides.

But if that article is based on fact from somewhere Bida is already gone, and it looks as if Ranfranz and Sofie have more or less been told that they will not be on the team next year. Sedevie looks to have had is scholarship pulled. That leaves Brandt, Ziggy, and Parise. That might just work!! Im sure a starter will come out of all that.

I like it.

It will be odd considering the fact that Zach Parise is a Sophmore and Jordan Parise is a Freshman despite the fact that he is older. I really don't know a lot about Jordan Parise but im sure he has genetics on his side!!!

Jordan Parise is also a giant for Fighting Sioux goalies. 5-11 200 lbs thats massive considdering Blais' like for tiny goalies!

My two cents

Walk-on Sofie,Ranfranz and Ziggy all will tryout ,why not DB is getting them for free

Brandt will recieve 75% of a ride

Siembia, Praise will each get 50% rides

Look at the stable of goalies DB will have for less then 2 full rides.

As I stated before Ziggy was given a partial scholarship and, therefore, DB is not getting him for free.

As for Parise, the fact that two other schools (UML, who turned out Wild goalie Roloson, and Mankato) looked at bringing him in tells me that schools other than UND believe he can play at the D1 level and that his signing is not simply a charitable act done to appease Zach!

Ok,

Admittedly, I have never watched an All Star game outside of the NHL. I have no doubts that it is tough to get there. However, I argue that the All Star game, in the NHL anyways, is more of a showboating period of time where the game becomes nearly a joke. Dominik Hasek giving up 3 goals in a period? That's RARE regardless of the situation. If he were trying, I doubt much would have gotten by him. Also, no one blocks shots or checks hard during the All Star game because no one wants to get injured or injure another player. In other words, the All Star game, to me, is a publicity stunt.

Before you all jump on me, bear in mind that this was JUST my opinion. I don't really care if you think I'm wrong.

As for the Jordan Parise thing, I really don't understand this all. It's turning into a mess fast. I don't know what to believe anymore really. I know Ziegelmann is coming. I know Sedevie isn't. Otherwise, everything is confusing to me.

As for Parise, the fact that two other schools (UML, who turned out Wild goalie Roloson, and Mankato) looked at bringing him in tells me that schools other than UND believe he can play at the D1 level and that his signing is not simply a charitable act done to appease Zach!

Anybody, anybody, who thinks Blais would waste any scholarship $$$ on a goalie to appease Zach has no idea how he operates. He'll sit stars, and he'll take serious risks.

Jordan has nice numbers in his own right, and I think he'll definitely work to get the starting spot. With Ziggy, and now another Parise, in pursuit of the starting job, I think we'll definitely see if Brandt has the mental toughness to make the job his own.

Now, if only the rest of the team would step it up, we might be in business. :blush:

Now, if only the rest of the team would step it up, we might be in business. :blush:

Agreed! Our offense was AWOL at the end of last season. To me, that is the biggest concern...how the team will perform after Christmas next year. They've got to learn to coordinate some offense and work together better. We don't play any "Canisiuses" this season.

As for Jordan Parise, I'm really glad Blais is bringing him in. Not only should he get and give a boost as Zach's brother, but he's a big goalie (for a change) with good numbers. Better numbers than Ziggy, even.

Fight on Sioux

I don't care if they are big or little.

Can they see the puck? If so, can they get in the way?

That's all I care about.

I think his point was that bigger goalies have an easier time getting in the way of them than smaller goalies. Not to say that big goalies are necessarily better, i.e. Karl Goehring, but being bigger they cover more of the net. (Sorry for the John Madden moment there...the football idiot, not the hockey player). :blush:

Actually I Like bigger goalies because they cover more of the net, Minnesota proved that you could win an NCAA with a Medocre goalies like Hauser. I think he being bigger helped a little.

I don't think I've seen this posted here yet, the Herald finally has a story confirming that Jordan committed to UND.

However, it then goes on to say:

Also, Josh Siembida, a sophomore goalie for UND last season, likely won't return to the team, though Blais said that is not for certain.

With the addition of Jordan Parise, UND will have goalies Jake Brandt, Marc Ranfranz and Ryan Sofie back from this year's team. The Sioux also will have incoming freshman goalie Nate Ziegelmann, the former North Dakota Mr. Hockey winner for Grand Forks Red River.

Maybe it's just me. But I'm still waiting for that Herald article on how UND finally has some sort of goalie coach. I know they had the volunteer last year but it would be nice if Dean could somehow convince a certain goalie in the Maple Leafs organization to be a goalie coach when he is done playing. Just a random thought. A second thought I had is that I don't want to see Josh go. I think if he keeps working on his technique he could still be a good goalie. But I wouldn't blame the guy for wanting to leave with the goalie situation in the next couple of years.

A second thought I had is that I don't want to see Josh go. I think if he keeps working on his technique he could still be a good goalie.

I think that Josh proved that he didn't have what it takes to be a member of UND a .845 percent save percentage is not exceptable. I think Jake is going to be hard pressed to make the team his senior year...

Maybe it's just me. But I'm still waiting for that Herald article on how UND finally has some sort of goalie coach. I know they had the volunteer last year but it would be nice if Dean could somehow convince a certain goalie in the Maple Leafs organization to be a goalie coach when he is done playing. Just a random thought. A second thought I had is that I don't want to see Josh go. I think if he keeps working on his technique he could still be a good goalie. But I wouldn't blame the guy for wanting to leave with the goalie situation in the next couple of years.

In case certain people didn't catch what wantagh was implying, I would also love to see Eddie the Eagle return to be the goalie coach for the Sioux when he retires. However, Sivebida needs to go. As harsh as that might sound Goon is right that an .845 SV% is not acceptable at UND. Next year our goalies should be Brandt, Zieglemann, and Parise. There is no need to keep Sofie and Ranfranz on the team, no matter how hard they work in practice. If you can't get it done in the game...it really doesn't matter now does it.

Hell, if Eddie's too busy in Toronto, or wherever, I hear Patrick Roy might have some time on his hands. ;) I do agree, as I've argued in the past, that a goalie coach is a critical element to any team, especially to work on technique and the finer points of the position. However, no amount of coaching and playing "muscial goalie" is going to help if the rest of the team doesn't do their job upfront. :angry::glare:

Hell, if Eddie's too busy in Toronto, or wherever, I hear Patrick Roy might have some time on his hands. ;) I do agree, as I've argued in the past, that a goalie coach is a critical element to any team, especially to work on technique and the finer points of the position. However, no amount of coaching and playing "muscial goalie" is going to help if the rest of the team doesn't do their job upfront. :angry::glare:

...or gets SARS ;)

Yes, musical goalies is not the way to go when coaching a team. Goalies are nuts, crazy, and insane. Don't mess with their heads.

Look, I'm as proud of Eddie as any Sioux fan can be and sure he understands "nuts, crazy and insane" with the best of them but I'm not sure that would make him a good coach.

Of course, I don't know him from Adam. Maybe he would be.

I think what I meant to say was that he could lend his knowledge of the art of goalkeeping to our goaltenders. Any former goalie would be better than nothing, seeing as how they all understand each other.

Hope that clears up any confusion, I see how my original post could have thrown people off.