SiouxSports.com Forum

goaltender situation

schmidtdoggydog

well then we have a problem...If Lammy isnt coming in and then Sedevie looks as if he had his scholarship pulled and just got traded, that leaves Ziegelmann, and who else?

Unless the source meant that Blais would be carrying three goalies next year, meaning Brandt, Bida, and Ziegelmann, that would sound realistic.

Well, if the rumor that 3 are coming in is true, it leaves open the speculation that Jordan Parise could be coming in. Of course, it could easily be someone else for that matter.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe he CB reads this board and saw what I said about a month ago about travelling to Slovakia or some where out there and bring back some unknown goalie that will rule all. (I dont think Hasek ever went to college!)

Good to know that Jordan isn't as hot as Zach. You gotta wonder why Dean would want him though, if the guy isn't hot? :blush: Ultimately though I think forecheck is the judge of player hotness. Afterall she is smitten with the Wookie, so she should know best. :D

Yeah I know!! Blais did a very good job last year, and the years before, of recruiting hott players! He can't stop now! And what's up with everyone saying that forecheck is the judge of player hottness? Did she make the mistake of kidding around and saying that Wookie was hott or something? Does someone wanna fill me in!?!?

And what's up with everyone saying that forecheck is the judge of player hottness? Did she make the mistake of kidding around and saying that Wookie was hott or something? Does someone wanna fill me in!?!?

Because she is...and I believe she did say, though indirectly I think (someone can correct me if they wan't), that the wookie was hot...only she wasn't joking :blush:

Hello,

I keep hearing that Sedevie's scholarship has been pulled, so I think I'll go with that. I DID hear that Blais was trying to convince Lamarreaux to come early, though no word on whether or not Dean-o was successful.

A disturbing thing I heard earlier on this year was that Siembida was highly recruited by many colleges. WHY? The only stats I could find concerning his juniors career was that he started an All Star game once and had a GAA of 4.00. Now, starting an All Star game is special, I'm sure, but a 4.00 GAA? Admittedly, he's done better than that at UND (3.36 GAA his freshman year and I think between 3.00 and 3.30 this year) but this is hardly a "hot" goaltender regardless of the participation in an All Star game. There has to be something that attracted everyone to him.

I really want to be wrong in assuming that Blais is a great recruiter for D-Men and forwards and just crumby for goaltenders, so someone prove me wrong! (Yes, I was here for Karl and I worship the dude.)

As for Marc Ranfranz leaving UND, that sucks. Ranfranz never got a true shot. He wasn't that bad this year. If he had finished all the games he started, I'm sure his save percentage would be as good or better than Brandt's.

Sofie is an enigma. Since I can't play hockey (yeah, I suck), I can only talk about what I would feel in his shoes if I could. If I could, I would NEVER have come to UND unless guaranteed a slot. D III and a playing slot is better than D I without a playing slot, IMO. That being said, maybe Sofie wanted to be like Mr. Engelstad. After all, Ralph didn't play much for UND when he attended here. His nubmers and playing time I think are very similar.

Ranfranz got as much of a shot as was warranted. Ranny didn't do much in his previous shots with the team and last year he did admirably in a tough situation, but just when he was given a couple games near the end of the season to show he was the savior some people thought he was then he suddenly became human.

Ranfranz seemed like a good guy who gave it his best and helped the team the best he could given the situation. Ranfranz got a chance to show what he could do and did his best with it, but his best wasn't quite as good as it needed to be.

How can you judge what someone else (Sofie) should or shouldn't like or want? Who truly knows what motivates these players to do what they do? You maybe would have done things differently but that is you.

Wow. I haven't been around to read the boards in awhile, and when I finally come back my status of player-hotness-o-meter is being questioned?! :D:blush:

SiouxHockeyLover, 2 things.

A.) Nobody cares who you think is hot on the team. It's like someone saying "Hey forecheck, your brother is hot!" So what? That's great, but what does it have to do with what we're talking about? i.e. hockey.

B.) The Wookie IS hot, and you my friend are the one on crack if you continue to disagree with me.

I have talked to two of the goalies and they both said the same thing. Only Ziggleman is coming in as a walk on next year. At this point, all four from last year are invited to come back for next year but Dean has made it clear that all 5 will not be on the roster, some will get cut but has to who and how many get cut, that remains to be seen. WHen they left last week, they all still hope they will be on the team come fall. I personnally believe only Brandt is a sure thing. The rest have to fight for it.

Ziggy was originally considered a walk-on, but when he signed his letter last week he was given money, a partial scholarship I believe, which would strongly indicate that he will be on the team next year. I simply cannot foresee Blais signing someone and putting them on scholarship at this juncture and then cutting them the next season. Besides that, Nate will bust his butt all summer to ensure himself a spot on the team.

And based on what I know of Nate personally and what I have seen over the last several years, he will be a very positive addition to the team.

And based on what I know of Nate personally and what I have seen over the last several years, he will be a very positive addition to the team.

Well that's good to hear...My thoughts are that it will be Brandt, Ziggy and possibly Siembida next year.

redwing77...have you ever watched an all-star game. They're full of snipers that know how to score. Giving up only 4 goals is pretty damn good IMO. Hell, Marty Brodeur and Dominik Hasek give up 3 or so in the PERIOD that they play in the NHL all-star game (I know that this year was a little different, very low scoring game). But I do agree that Siembida wasn't as good as advertised.

Could you imagine if Jordan Parise walked on and made it?

Handyman's greatest (G-rated) fantasy could become reality:

Parise with the save. He passes off to Parise who moves up ice, around the defense, shoots and SCORES! Parise with the save and the assist on the goal by Parise! :D:blush:

Sorry, I'm gonna have to go with siouxhockeylover on this one - the wookie isn't hott!! :D:blush:;):0

Thank You ZachAttack!!! I knew you would like to hear my thoughts on who is hott and isn't on our team. And who's hott on other teams in this case. And forecheck, I don't think ANYONE is gunna compete with you to win wookie's affection! He's all yours!!

Could you imagine if Jordan Parise walked on and made it?

Handyman's greatest (G-rated) fantasy could become reality:

Parise with the save. He passes off to Parise who moves up ice, around the defense, shoots and SCORES! Parise with the save and the assist on the goal by Parise! :0:blush:

Damn right...I got some of my best laughs from my posts about Parise being the only player on your team! If he has another brother and he comes you could have Parise be all 3 stars :D

I have talked to two of the goalies and they both said the same thing. Only Ziggleman is coming in as a walk on next year. At this point, all four from last year are invited to come back for next year but Dean has made it clear that all 5 will not be on the roster, some will get cut but has to who and how many get cut, that remains to be seen. WHen they left last week, they all still hope they will be on the team come fall. I personnally believe only Brandt is a sure thing. The rest have to fight for it.

Let me say this I would be willing to bet that Sofie and RanFranz will not be on the team next season. There is no reason to Keep Sofie around and It would be questionable keeping Marc around too...

I still would like to see Ziggy, Brandt and Lammy (I see no reason why not) sharing the goal tending duties this season. All other other gone... I see no reason for Siembedia to come back, if he is playing it means the Sioux are desperate...

Someone informed me this article was released on ushockeynews...

=======================

20 year-old Waterloo Black Hawks goaltender Jordan Parise, the older brother of North Dakota phenom Zach Parise, has committed to the Fighting Sioux for next season, and will report this fall with an approximate half-scholarship in tow.

Parise's nod to North Dakota continues what's been a head scratching goalkeeper's carousel in Grand Forks of late. In each of the past two seasons, head coach Dean Blais has used four goaltenders-including one-time Waterloo keeper Josh Siembida, who came to North Dakota amidst much fanfare just after Christmas of 2001. Now, word is Siembida-a 20 year-old from Porcupine, Ontario-will not return to Grand Forks next year despite going 12-4 last season with a 3.16 GAA. If so, this leaves room for yet another goaltending prospect such as Parise. Lincoln Stars goalie Phillipe Lamoureux-who was slated to join the Fighting Sioux in 2004-05-had been considered to come on board one year early, but it now appears he'll be staying in Lincoln for another season.

As for Parise, he put up an impressive 21-10-2 mark with a 2.55 GAA average this past season. It was a welcome turn of events for the Fairbault, Minnesota native, who bounced between Chicago and Pittsburgh (NAHL) in 2002. Recently, Parise visited North Dakota, Mass-Amherst and Minnesota-Mankato, but to him, the allure and comfort zone of Grand Forks was too good to pass up.

"It just seemed like the best fit," said Parise from Fairbault on Tuesday afternoon, "the (Ralph Engelstad) arena is amazing, and the guys all treated me very well. I know they'll be competition for the top goaltender spot, but if I play well, I'll give him (Coach Blais) only one option, and that's to play me."

At this point, assuming Siembida doesn't return, Parise's main competition will come from junior-to-be Jake Brandt, who went 11-4-4 in 2002-03.

But best of all, Parise will once again have the chance to skate alongside younger brother Zach, both of whom played together for two seasons at Shattuck St. Mary's. In 2003, Zach scored 26 goals and 61 points, and presently stands 13th amongst all prospects heading into June's NHL draft by Red Line Report, the independent scouting review.

"This may be the last time we'll ever get a chance to play together," said Parise, cognizant of Zach's options of turning pro in the near future. "It will be kind of awkward with me coming in as a rookie to him, but if we can both push each other, the end result, for either one of us, should be positive."

Now, word is Siembida-a 20 year-old from Porcupine, Ontario-will not return to Grand Forks next year despite going 12-4 last season with a 3.16 GAA.

At this point, assuming Siembida doesn't return, Parise's main competition will come from junior-to-be Jake Brandt, who went 11-4-4 in 2002-03.

Now this is news... anyone else heard this? This article makes it sound like he's got one foot out the door. Maybe he's getting pushed a little? :blush: