SiouxSports.com Forum

goaltender situation

schmidtdoggydog

All I have read on this thread have been great points but I do have some thoughts to ponder.

First, regarding Siembida, I wonder just how much of his poor performance is confidence related and how much of it is just plain bust. Yes, the stats are terrible for him this year, despite going 18-3 or something like that. (Pretty sure that is incorrect, but I know I'm in the ballpark). He DID get recruited by many different colleges... bust or not, that's saying something. I hope he doesn't give up hockey. Maybe he can transfer to a DIII school and do well there. If he does that, he won't even lose a year of eligibility like if he were to transfer DI schools. A Gopher goalie a few years back did that I hear and is doing well at some DIII college.

Second, the "Musical goaltending." It surely did not work for us this year, but it did in 2000. It wasn't that prominent because Karl was doing so well, Andy only had to come in a few times during the season. And it paid off in the WCHA playoffs after Karl got a concussion. ALSO: I'm sure the Minnesota Wild fans will back up this style of coaching as it got them deep into the playoffs this year. Who would have known that a former bust goaltender (Giguere) would beat them out?

Some people remember that Giguere was pretty much abandoned by the Hurricane organization and was even out of the NHL for a while playing in Germany.

Third, I am wondering if we are doing the same thing to J. Parise and Ziegelmann that we did with Brandt and Siembida their freshman year. Are you guys sure that you are not putting all the weight of the expectations for a championship on their shoulders before they even play a game? How do we know that J. Parise is an excellent goaltender? 2.55 GAA is ok, but Brandt had a similar GAA this year and we're all beating him down. Siembida came in with a 4.00 GAA (I'm probably wrong on this too, but I couldn't honestly find his junior stats) and he was supposed to be the next Eddie the Eagle it seems. Let's not jump to any conclusions. Let's just be optimistic and sympathetic if things don't turn out the way it should.

Fourth, a goaltending coach is the obvious answer to a complex problem. HOWEVER, Roger is so tight walletted with his huge profits that I am starting to worry about whether or not Blais will stay now that he doesn't have to worry about Ralph's influence anymore. Also, taking ScottM seriously, Patrick Roy would NEVER come to UND to goaltend coach. I have heard that he has a personality that makes Ralph's darker side more akin to the Teletubbies (not the purple one!) People I'd like to see helping goaltend coach would be already retired goalies such as Grant Fuhr or John Vanbiesbrouck. Maybe even Tom Barrasso (depite the fact that he went directly from high school to the NHL). Eddie would be nice, but I'm not sure how committed he'd be to UND.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't Fuhr a coke addict or something like that? And I don't care about Roy's dark side...he's a good goalie and his wife is smokin' :angry:

I wasn't around in 2000, so while I am not saying this for sure, I don't think that they played musical goalies that year. It was more something where Kollar stepped in for a few games, I believe that Goehring played most of the games that season. Kollar also played well those two years because he had something to prove, when he didn't think he had to fight for the job...we saw what happened :glare: Siembida was brought in to save last season (as you'll recall, he started playing for us around Chirstmas), which didn't really work out. As far as Brandt, I've said all along that if he got some confidence and calmed down (he looks damn nervous in net) he could be a very good goaltender.

Third, I am wondering if we are doing the same thing to J. Parise and Ziegelmann that we did with Brandt and Siembida their freshman year. Are you guys sure that you are not putting all the weight of the expectations for a championship on their shoulders before they even play a game? How do we know that J. Parise is an excellent goaltender? 2.55 GAA is ok, but Brandt had a similar GAA this year and we're all beating him down. Siembida came in with a 4.00 GAA (I'm probably wrong on this too, but I couldn't honestly find his junior stats) and he was supposed to be the next Eddie the Eagle it seems. Let's not jump to any conclusions. Let's just be optimistic and sympathetic if things don't turn out the way it should.

I agree. These guys had decent numbers in the USHL but weren't the "talk" of the league. I don't think there are many goalies who were average in juniors who were stars in college.

Dagies is right on!!!. DB is going to bring in one more goalie before this is said and done. What happen to Sedieve and why? He is an above average junior goalie. NECK problem, I don't by that.Some thing is going on here. Lammy will be here in 2003 or he will not be here at all. :glare:

First, the Lammy thing. Lammy won't be coming. If he did, Blais would not have pursued Jordan, Parise or not. If you recall, Jordan came into the picture AFTER the rumors of Lammy coming early were quashed.

Second, Sedevie is an entire subthread on a thread already. Quite possibly this one. Sedevie's neck injury wasn't the only one. I heard that Sedevie turned the scholarship down upon the advice of his parents and his doctor. I don't rule out Sedevie altogether. He may walk on in 2004, you never know. All in all, after this neck injury, an injury that many said would end his career, I think his decision was prudent and wise. He recently got traded to the Lincoln Stars so we'll be sure the see what happens with him.

Third, Fuhr. I'm not sure Fuhr was or is a crack addict. All I know is that he was considered to be a hall of fame goaltender. I also believe he lives somewhere in Minnesota. I know he got involved in some sort of Hockey tournement in the Twin Cities recently that commemorates the first black hockey player, though I forget his name. (Sad, no?)

Fourth, Kollar. I wasn't around for the Kollar meltdown or Siembida's arrival although I had my sources of information at the time. However, Blais is not one to sit back and allow previous years' performances to rule the ice. If that was so, then Kollar's meltdown would have gone largely ignored by Blais. Also, if this were the case, Siembida would hardly be in any jeopardy to leave UND. Blais is a perfectionist obviously who wants to see instant results. As much as this is a negative remark, it can be positive. Those who know more about what it is like to be in a team sport such as hockey or basketball in high school or something like that can remark about it better than I. I do not believe that Kollar simply laid down and "died." Everything I heard screamed of problems off the ice for Andy. I've actually met the guy. He was a nice, quiet, reserved fellow (short!). He had confidence when Karl was around, but I think Karl was a safety net for him. There was never any pressure because it was always known that Karl was the number one guy. When Karl left, I really feel that Kollar collapsed. The safety net was gone. ALL the pressure came to him and he couldn't handle it. Everyone was comparing Kollar to Goehring and nothing positive came out on Kollar's side. In fact, I like to call it the "Curse of Karl."

It got a lot of people including Siembida. Everyone compares our goalies to Karl. Karl could control the game by himself. When the defense was merely half on its game, the Sioux could still win. They could think more offense and not worry about defense because, when the poop hit the zamboni, Karl was always there to bail them out. Kollar came ine (and Ranfranz, Brandt, Siembida, etc.) and suddenly they need more defensive help than Karl did and BOOM! Everyone's jumping on them, myself included. Indeed, something to ponder.

Enough with the ponderances. I'm getting tired of writing long posts. I'm sure you all are tired of reading them! :glare:

Second, Sedevie is an entire subthread on a thread already.  Quite possibly this one.  Sedevie's neck injury wasn't the only one.  I heard that Sedevie turned the scholarship down upon the advice of his parents and his doctor.  I don't rule out Sedevie altogether.  He may walk on in 2004, you never know.  All in all, after this neck injury, an injury that many said would end his career, I think his decision was prudent and wise.  He recently got traded to the Lincoln Stars so we'll be sure the see what happens with him.

Let me get this straight.....He turned down UND because of his neck injury, BUT it is OK to play in Lincoln???

Use your head buddy...It's not happening. He was let go by UND and if you had run into him, his girlfriend, or his parents during that first month after being dropped (April), you would have known it was not his decision. He was MAD. Very bitter.

New rumor is that he may show up in the WCHA, (that school up north on the water), D#\#th OR maybe in the CHA for the Green and White Beavers.

Just speculation now, but I feel we will hear very soon.

Sorry, I should clarify a few items.

First, the Lammy thing. I MEANT to say that Lammy will not be coming in 2003. He will come in 2004. There is a Herald article that infers this.

Second, the Sedevie thing. If I had access to the Sedevies or his girlfriend, I'd suppose my report would be a whole lot more accurate. Unfortunately, I'm not all that connected with him, so I apologize if I'm sadly mistaken, which it appears as though I am. Blais works in mysterious ways and sometimes people, such as Sedevie I'd surmise, get burned. I don't know what else to say. I can't justify Blais' actions. I can only half-a$$ attempt to guesstimate what is going on with things from an outsider's viewpoint.

As far as Brandt, I've said all along that if he got some confidence and calmed down (he looks damn nervous in net) he could be a very good goaltender.

I agree with you. I think Brandt definately has what it takes to become a top notch goaltender, but he's just not there yet. He did, however, start to show signs of greatness in the WCHA playoffs against Denver and Duluth. Didn't Jake win the award for most valualbe goaltender in Minnesota in high school back in 99 or so? I think With these new goalies coming in, and Jake being an upperclassman, he will begin to find his skates in the crease. But, as I'm sure everyone else is as well, I'm quite excited to see J. Parise mind some net :glare:

Didn't Jake win the award for most valualbe goaltender in Minnesota in high school back in 99 or so?

Not sure if he did, but Roseau did win the Class AA State Championship that year. I was at their game in the state semi's against Holy Angels, he looked pretty good for them during that game. I was at the Target Center earlier for our Class A semifinal against Fergus Falls, I had left my lights on and killed my car battery, so I decided to stick around for the AA game.

http://www.journalstar.com/sports.php?story_id=54975

Layne is indeed going to Bemidji State....what's also interesting is the comment at the end of the article about Chris Porter. Is he postponing his UND scholarship for another year in Lincoln?

With goaltender in place, Stars looking to add offensive firepower

BYMARKDEROWITSCH / Lincoln Journal Star

Lincoln Stars coach Steve Johnson wishes he could kick back and take it easy all summer.

He can't.

Instead, he needs to find a little more firepower, and maybe another top-notch defenseman or two, as he tries to reload his hockey team for another Clark Cup run.

At least Johnson isn't searching for a No. 1 goaltender. Philippe Lamoureux, who has split time in goal each of the past two seasons, recently told Johnson he plans to come back for one more go-round with the Stars.

For a time, Lamoureux considered starting his college career this fall. Last November, he signed a letter of intent to play college hockey at North Dakota for the 2004-05 season, and Sioux coaches tried to lure him to school a year earlier.

North Dakota coach Dean Blais then changed his mind, encouraging Lamoureux to instead return to Lincoln for another year of seasoning in the Tier I United States Hockey League.

"Even if he had asked me to start school at North Dakota, I think I still would have come back to Lincoln," Lamoureux said. "Iwant to come back and really get in a full schedule of games. That's what Ineed right now."

More than likely, Lamoureux will get all the playing time he wants. With Nate Ziegelmann out of the picture, the door is wide open for Lamoureux. Ziegelmann, who shared playing time with Lamoureux each of the past two seasons, will walk on at NorthDakota.

Johnson would like nothing more than to give Lamoureux the vast majority of ice time, but how much he actually gets is up to the netminder.

Translation:Lamoureux must earn it.

"In the past, Phil has had to battle for time, and I think it helped him," Johnson said. "So now he has to be able to deal with not having someone there to push him every day. That'll be his new challenge."

The Stars are fortunate that Lamoureux will return for another season, and not only because of his impressive numbers (22-7-4, 2.17 goals-against average) that he posted last season.

Before the USHLdraft, Lincoln traded for goaltender Layne Sedevie, who spent the 2002-03 season in Topeka before he suffered a season-ending neck injury. According to Johnson, Sedevie won't be coming to Lincoln. In fact, he plans to play college hockey at Bemidji State.

While Lamoureux may have a job locked up with the Stars, several others will try to earn a spot on the 23-man roster during the team's annual tryout camp. About 70 players will vie for Johnson's attention at the camp, which begins today and runs through Sunday in Prior Lake, Minn.

Johnson wants to pick up a couple more talented scorers, and is still searching to add depth to the blue line.

Lincoln will return just 11 players from a team that went 9-1 during the playoffs and won the Clark Cup last season. The Stars must replace their top eight scorers, if Chris Porter doesn't return, as well as three of their top defensemen.

"If we can pick up three or four players who we either didn't see or for whatever reason missed, that's all you can ask for," he said.

The Stars must replace their top eight scorers, if Chris Porter doesn't return, as well as three of their top defensemen.

This is interesting. Looks like Porter might spend an additional year in Lincoln. That may not be a bad thing. His offensive numbers were average in juniors and IMO the Sioux have plenty of average offensive hard working guys. Let him develop and play vs. sit out games. I guess we'll see.

Wow, I thought DB said he had a bad neck.

Did Sedeive get the short end of the stick with the Zach signing in 2002. Did DB tell Zach if he signed with UND over UM he would bring his brother in? Its possible. I not saying that happen, but a deal could have been made. Jordan(20 year) is your average USHL goalie who had no offer in the past and BANG he with UND. It makes sense DB would have done what ever it took to get Zach from the UofM. When he got Zach along came all he's teammates from Shattack.

I'am just throwing this out there. I believe somebody got the shaft.

If you look back at this thread you will see I told you Jordan was coming before he was signed.

You make an interesting point, Warthog, and I think you've hit it right on the screws. I think we, the fans, can't begin to imagine the kinds of swinging deals that are going on in college recruiting. All under the watchfull eye of the NCAA, of course... :glare:

Regardless, if we had to bring in little brother to get Zach and a SSM connection... I say it's a good deal. Look at Minnesota... they took Grant Potulney for the initial reason of getting Ryan. As it turns out, Grant has been outstanding for the gophers, and lots of other coaches that "passed" on him are kicking themselves. My point being maybe "little J.P." will kick butt. Who knows? :angry: We can hope! ;)

Did Sedeive get the short end of the stick with the Zach signing in 2002. Did DB tell Zach if he signed with UND over UM he would bring his brother in? Its possible. I not saying that happen, but a deal could have been made. Jordan(20 year) is your average USHL goalie who had no offer in the past and BANG he with UND.

Lest we all forget, last seasons USHL numbers:

Jordan Parise - 2.552 GAA; .915 S%

Nate Ziegelmann - 2.583 GAA; .908 S%

Layne Sedevie - 2.620 GAA; .896 S%

Some of you might have to come to grips with the fact that Jordan may actually be a decent goalie. Maybe DB thought of Jordan as equally or slightly more talented than Layne, and much more durable over a 4 year term. I don't have the inside scoop, but just a thought.