SiouxSports.com Forum

WCHA FINAL 5 TOURNEY

AZSIOUX

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SCSU 4-UM 1 Gophers will be dead compared to SCSU. 5 games in 3 days..3 days rest= L

UND 2-DU 1 I think this could go either way...I dont want to hear about it :(

CC-5 SCSU 3 Will be very interesting game.

CC 4-UND 1 Next week is a different week, I don't think UND is playing well enough to beat CC.

Looking forward to a great weekend of hockey!!!

MY PICKS:

SCSU 3, MN 0 --gophers will be hard-pressed to win this game in my opinion

UND 4, DU 1 -- too many weapons for DU to handle!

CC 3, SCSU 1 -- not much to say on this.

UND 3, CC 1 -- it's the playoffs....we will step up. People can say we're not playing well enough all they want, but I think everyone's playing their hearts out right now, so we're going to have the nailbiter games from here on out.

SCSU over MN in a close, low scoring contest.

Sioux over Denver in something like 4-2

CC over SCSU 4-1

Denver over MN in the 3rd place game 2-1

CC over the Sioux 3-1 in the Championship game. (That's a head pick, not a heart pick)

Wow. You are really a conspiracy theorist dagies. The Goofs get to play for third place, even after a loss and a day of rest!!

Thanks for the Tom Phol note. Nice touch guys.

SCSU 2-UM 4 Gophers should be dog tired but pull it out with an empty netter.

UND 5-DU 3 Fun game, but UND has the clear edge right now.

CC-5 MN 2 Gophers/Kangas are out of gas, not enough talent. CC wins.

CC 4-UND 2 Have to take CC, but not shocked if UND gets the victory.

Wow. You are really a conspiracy theorist dagies. The Goofs get to play for third place, even after a loss and a day of rest!!

But it makes for such a great game to watch, the Gophs in a "meaningless" game :(

I hate to predict it, but I am thinking that we lose an overtime thriller to CC for the championship. Much like last year, we then face CC in the Regional in Colorado Springs and beat them in an OT thriller to go to the final 5.

Duncan's patented short side top-shelf goal with nothing to shoot at from "his old spot" in Friday's game makes me a little excited. If we can get him going from that spot, we are tough.

Chorns stepped it up this past weekend which bodes well for us. If we can get TJ healthy, Duncs hitting from his spot, Chorney playing to his full potential, JPL playing the way he has played all year, then throw in Kaiper doing a Malcolm Parks impression and Vande crashing the net, we can beat anybody.

Other good signs: Frattin stepped up, Lapoint played well, Bina stepped up, Genoway leading the rush through the neutral zone.

Genoway has done it all year, and Chorns did it this past weekend, but I loved the fact that they skated the puck up when the outlet passes were taken away by the Tech D in transition. Finley, Lapoint and Jones still seem to try and force the outlet when it isn't there. I absolutely hate the "no outlet pass available so let's try the homerun to the deep winger". Short passes, one winger fly up the ice, the other two forwards need to stay low to give the d-men a target.

People blast Lapoint (I've done it too as Redwing will comment), but having watched him more closely and watching him last night especially, he has the right idea on the outlet passes, the forwards just aren't helping more times than not.

Speed through the neutral zone generated by short crisp passes gives us a chance to enter the zone with at least two, hopefully three forwards. A homerun pass only lets us bring one, which isn't much of a threat unless he has a chance to be free and clear.

Number one rule from me to the Sioux: PATIENCE. This team tends to get frustrated. We need to take what they give us and play our game. No forcing the long pass if the short pass isn't available. Wingers come back and restart the breakout.

anyone know what was up with putting miller with oshie and duncan? I didn't think he brought anything to that line last night. it also didn't make much sense to break up the martens,miller frattin line lwhich I thought had some good chemistry going. Kozek looked out of it last night on the third line.

PLAY IN

SCSU 3

UM 2

SEMI #1

UND 4

DU 2

SEMI #2

CC 4

SCSU 3

TITLE

UND 4

CC 3

3RD PLACE

DU 5

SCSU 4

Awfully high scoring picks considering the WCHA scoring trend this year.

I'm going with

SCSU - 3

UMN - 1

UND - 2

DU - 0

CC - 4

SCSU - 1

DU - 5

SCSU - 4

UND - 2

CC - 1

Awfully high scoring picks considering the WCHA scoring trend this year.

I'm going with

SCSU - 3

UMN - 1

UND - 2

DU - 0

CC - 4

SCSU - 1

DU - 5

SCSU - 4

UND - 2

CC - 1

i dont go with trends, i go with my gut ;) i say they let them play a little in the tourney ;)

anyone know what was up with putting miller with oshie and duncan? I didn't think he brought anything to that line last night. it also didn't make much sense to break up the martens,miller frattin line lwhich I thought had some good chemistry going. Kozek looked out of it last night on the third line.

Doesn't make sense to break up the one line that did anything the nite before. For some reason Hak has a man crush on Miller. Brad has been playing well of late, but still lacks the heart to go into the corners and do the dirty work. With Osh dinged a bit, I don't see puttin Miller on that line. IMO you need someone (Kozek) that will be able to add a little bit of a physical presence and still have the ability to put the puck in the net! Kozek, Oshie, and Duncan were dominant on Friday nite which is why I found it very surprising that Hak switched it up after one nite of mediocrity.

im not that worried about the lines but like kozek up on that top line instead of miller but hak knows what the hell hes doing and i dont ;)

imo, i'd keep Kozek on the first line for the same reasons OTH listed.

Anyone notice Finley up in front of the net on the PP last night? Reminds me of when they had Smaby do that in the Regional in '06. I believe Smaby scored a PP garbage goal. Something to keep an eye on this weekend with Joe. Obviously, the goalie's not going to be able to see around the guy.

also, interesting to move Marto this late in the season. felt bad for Radke having to sit in the last home game.

I think it was just something Hak did to motivate Kozek even more (not that he needed much). I bet Kozek is back with Osh and Duncs come Friday.

you may be right as he did that the week before he had the hatty, i think he practiced on one of the bottom lines all week and worked hard and played on that top line that weekend. i bet they are together as well

imo, i'd keep Kozek on the first line for the same reasons OTH listed.

Anyone notice Finley up in front of the net on the PP last night? Reminds me of when they had Smaby do that in the Regional in '06. I believe Smaby scored a PP garbage goal. Something to keep an eye on this weekend with Joe. Obviously, the goalie's not going to be able to see around the guy.

also, interesting to move Marto this late in the season. felt bad for Radke having to sit in the last home game.

It was nice to see a little creativity from Hak! I hope we see Big Joe in front of the net this weekend. Test this out in the Final 5 and go from there!