SiouxSports.com Forum

Spring Practice - 2008

SiouxMD

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe there were 81 players listed on the spring roster, and with 18 signees coming in, that would mean 14 players must be cut.

I assume that you do not have a electronic copy of the spring roster that you could post. I see they have not posted it on the athletic website. Have any of the linemen had any major weight gains or losses? Any non-skill position for that matter.

I assume that you do not have a electronic copy of the spring roster that you could post. I see they have not posted it on the athletic website. Have any of the linemen had any major weight gains or losses? Any non-skill position for that matter.

Here are some fairly substantial weight gains:

Ryan Kasowski, from 200 to 220

Jeff Tescher, from 218 to 236

Curtis Dublanko, from 200 to 222

Noah Dombrovski, from 231 to 250

Paul German, from 220 to 232

Link Gottbeheat, from 255 to 267

Keith Queoff, from 255 to 277

Jake Caufield, from 220 to 230

Nick Nolte, from 261 to 272

Here are some fairly substantial weight gains:

Ryan Kasowski, from 200 to 220

Jeff Tescher, from 218 to 236

Curtis Dublanko, from 200 to 222

Noah Dombrovski, from 231 to 250

Paul German, from 220 to 232

Link Gottbeheat, from 255 to 267

Keith Queoff, from 255 to 277

Jake Caufield, from 220 to 230

Nick Nolte, from 261 to 272

Thanks!

Is the new coach pushing the boys a little too hard?? I heard all of our Rb but 1 (brandon brady) are injured. We have lost 3 CB for a while. Also, heard our O line is pretty banged up too. IM not saying what the coaches should do but with all these injuries, wouldnt u change ur habits a bit? little less contact or somthing. Hopefully we get a couple of these players back in the next 3 months for the season.

How did are redshirt freshman play, or did they get much time. did any of them look any good?

I can't really say I noticed any of them one way or the other, but for whatever it's worth Quesenberry and Hawkins are both listed as second-stringers right now. Of course, given the number of injuries at db, and the lack of numbers on the OL, it's probably not a big surprise that red shirt freshmen are possibly slated to see some time at those positions.

Is the new coach pushing the boys a little too hard?? I heard all of our Rb but 1 (brandon brady) are injured. We have lost 3 CB for a while. Also, heard our O line is pretty banged up too. IM not saying what the coaches should do but with all these injuries, wouldnt u change ur habits a bit? little less contact or somthing. Hopefully we get a couple of these players back in the next 3 months for the season.

To the extent of my knowledge I'm pretty sure Josh Murray is not hurt

That's good because that's what you're getting. :lol:

Just like I don't need to know Player X spent 20 extra minutes after practice working on his backhand from 10' out on the off wing, or Player Y shot 200 extra free throws after practice, I don't need daily spoonfed football propaganda about depth charts or 40-times (both of which will change by fall) to sleep at night.

Just like I don't need to know Player X spent 20 extra minutes after practice working on his backhand from 10' out on the off wing, or Player Y shot 200 extra free throws after practice, I don't need daily spoonfed football propaganda about depth charts or 40-times (both of which will change by fall) to sleep at night.

Like I said if your happy with the coverage great - I would bet the majority of fb fans aren't.

Like I said if your happy with the coverage great - I would bet the majority of fb fans aren't.

actually I don't care and most of the people that I know don't care well. Spring does not always affect fall and whether or not the football players are healthy does not affect whether or not I go to classes or work or whatever.

Based upon the spring game roster, it appears there may have been a number of departures since the fall. Specifically, I noticed that Troy Bryant, Mark Kubacki, Nick Bylin, Matt Simmons and John Carruth from last year's recruiting class were not listed on the roster. Also, Nick Safranski, Pete Hiltner, Brock Setness and Andrew Gudmunson apparently aren't returning, either.

Does anybody know the story with Keith and Kory Smith, a pair of 6'4" twin(?) receivers from Florida who are listed as seniors? Also, I'm not familiar with Nick Long, a tight end from Andover (MN).

Any word on what happened to these players? Some were highly recruited.

Looking back at last years stats on UND's rushing defense we are not at the level we are acustom to.

Western Washington 194 yards, Nebraska Omaha 340 yards, South Dakota 260 yards and

Grand Valley 280 yards. Not good. We seem to be lacking the big nose guard we have had for the

past 15 years or so. Rocky Hager could never handle our nose guard. It proably got him fired. What's the word on the D line. How is this Bellmore kid from West Fargo? And of course the competion has just gotten better.

Any one?

Looking back at last years stats on UND's rushing defense we are not at the level we are acustom to.

Western Washington 194 yards, Nebraska Omaha 340 yards, South Dakota 260 yards and

Grand Valley 280 yards. Not good. We seem to be lacking the big nose guard we have had for the

past 15 years or so. Rocky Hager could never handle our nose guard. It proably got him fired. What's the word on the D line. How is this Bellmore kid from West Fargo? And of course the competion has just gotten better.

Any one?

Very good points. Finding a great 2-gapping noseguard to keep the o-line from getting to the second level and off the linebackers is a big key to the success of the 3-4 scheme. It also helps to have all-american ILB's making plays as well(See Mooney, Tibesar, O'neel, and Anderson). When you have studs at both the ILB and noseguard positions, you see the best results. When you have just good, solid, serviceable players at both, you see the drop in rushing defense that UND's defense has seen recently. Tibesar had Callahan at nose, O'neel had Schultz, and Digger had Duchscher, Brennan and Wolff. I think you can see a relationship between the stats and having above-average players at the respective positions. We just haven't had all-american type players at either position the last couple years. It's not a knock against those players, they just aren't at the level that the before-mentioned group was at.

Having said that, finding a great Nose for your 3-4 scheme is not an easy thing to do. Having the physical size, strength and overall talent is one thing. Applying that with technique, natural football IQ, and buying into the system of "taking bullets" for your linebackers is another thing. Not a very "sexy" position based on the lack of stats you accumulate. It does sound as though Broc Bellmore will eventually be a good noseguard. The coaches seem to be high on him. Now we need an All-American inside linebacker to emerge and carry on the strong tradition of UND ILB's. Because of the beating that noseguards tend to take every game, I would like to see us go get a JUCO kid to complement Broc so we can rotate and have fresh legs. Maybe we have another freshman in the mix that will contribute this year.

Having said that, finding a great Nose for your 3-4 scheme is not an easy thing to do. Having the physical size, strength and overall talent is one thing. Applying that with technique, natural football IQ, and buying into the system of "taking bullets" for your linebackers is another thing. Not a very "sexy" position based on the lack of stats you accumulate. It does sound as though Broc Bellmore will eventually be a good noseguard. The coaches seem to be high on him. Now we need an All-American inside linebacker to emerge and carry on the strong tradition of UND ILB's. Because of the beating that noseguards tend to take every game, I would like to see us go get a JUCO kid to complement Broc so we can rotate and have fresh legs. Maybe we have another freshman in the mix that will contribute this year.

We likely won't see him on the field this year, but I'm excited about the potential of incoming freshman Devin Benjamin. On paper anyway, it sounds like he has exactly what you'd like to see in a nose guard.

Noseguards Ty Boyle and Nate Wayne also return next year. Hopefully Wayne can stay healthy. He has been banged up the last couple years or so. I have also heard that the coaches really like Devin Benjamin's potential as a noseguard. We do need some young linebackers to step up and assert themselves.

Can't wait to go to games again this fall to see how all of this plays out. Should be an exciting 1st year in the FCS.

Noseguards Ty Boyle and Nate Wayne also return next year. Hopefully Wayne can stay healthy. He has been banged up the last couple years or so. I have also heard that the coaches really like Devin Benjamin's potential as a noseguard. We do need some young linebackers to step up and assert themselves.

Can't wait to go to games again this fall to see how all of this plays out. Should be an exciting 1st year in the FCS.

I am looking forward to next year also. On the noseguard subject, I believe we have the personnel to be successful. We need to get Nate Wayne healthy. There are certainly two solid backups in Boyle and Bellmore. Bellmore impressed a lot of people during the March Strength testing with good numbers. Squat 560lbs, Bench 425lbs? and Clean 465lbs? or something close to that. Not bad for a freshman! Wayne,Boyle and Bellmore will all improve over the next couple of years.

I am looking forward to next year also. On the noseguard subject, I believe we have the personnel to be successful. We need to get Nate Wayne healthy. There are certainly two solid backups in Boyle and Bellmore. Bellmore impressed a lot of people during the March Strength testing with good numbers. Squat 560lbs, Bench 425lbs? and Clean 465lbs? or something close to that. Not bad for a freshman! Wayne,Boyle and Bellmore will all improve over the next couple of years.

Hang on before someone jumps on me on this. The Clean stat mentioned above was around 365# not #465. That would be ridiculous!

On the news at 5 they said the new athletic director had to get certain positions filled and media contracts put behind them. What is the situation with radio contracts for the various sports? Are they up for renewal next year or do we have another year left on them? If they are up for renewal what is likely to happen with them?