SiouxSports.com Forum

Coach Dave Hakstol

The Walrus

I hope outsiders will see this what it is: politics. Goofs seem to be in a good position to deflect their poor showing this weekend by talking about how low brow North Dakota is. It is interesting how they can start sh** every weekend, but once a school, like UND, tries to have them back it up they play dead. It's all a tactic. Coach gets caught doing something, which I am sure has done before by many a coach. I'm sorry, but I have to call conspiracy on this one. I'm not one for calling out the refs, but if that is how they control a game, then suspend them all. Honestly, why would UND go out of its way to goon it up and face suspension against the DU series? There was more going on out on the ice Saturday than the FSN picked up.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gorg is such an idiot. Even the question he asked Kangas on "if he could take Lammy" in a fight.....why would they ask something like that. I almost feel sorry for Kangas, what do you say to somethign like that!!!! I know what he said but still, I'm assuming he just pulled that response out of mid-air so he did not stare at the camera.

UND radio had a guy who would ask UND hockey players to walk the listeners through a typical night on the town or date with them...

Seriously, when this idea came up, was the approval guy sick? Distracted? Drugged? Seriously, it was the most retarded radio interview series I've ever heard.

Gorg is such an idiot. Even the question he asked Kangas on "if he could take Lammy" in a fight.....why would they ask something like that. I almost feel sorry for Kangas, what do you say to somethign like that!!!! I know what he said but still, I'm assuming he just pulled that response out of mid-air so he did not stare at the camera.

Gorg obviously missed after the handshake fiasco when JPL and Kangas were talking to each other and then gave each other a "glove" bump.

I can not turn a blind eye to Hak's mistake, but I am also not going to condemn him for getting fired up and pi$$ed off. He has apologized. One game suspension (without pay perhaps?) and we move on.

OK, let me put on my green glasses and adjust my halo. There got it. ;) While I think Hak's move was stupid, I'm not sure why his action deserves a suspension more than Anderson's grabbing of a Duluth player or the actions of the AR with Malone. There seems to be a different standard being applied. :angry:

Gorg is such an idiot. Even the question he asked Kangas on "if he could take Lammy" in a fight.....why would they ask something like that. I almost feel sorry for Kangas, what do you say to somethign like that!!!!

How about ....

"Been stupid all your life or did this come on recently?"

or

"Your momma raise all stupid kids or just you?"

(Stole those and I love 'em.)

very stupid thing for hak to do. poor judgement and im guessing he will be suspended for a game but then again maybe not

if this was done by lucia or any other coach we as fans wold be all over the coach calling him classless ect.. ect.... thats being said he did it and has to accept any discipline that may come after this then you move on. he took responsibility for it. again move on

You are exactly right all around.

How is he not being responsible for his actions? What more would you have him do? He screwed up, owned up the fact that he screwed up, issued a formal, public apology and said it would never happen again.

This is exactly what I wanted to say. Thanks for saving me the time.

I'm going to pistol whip the next person on either side that says "class". :angry:

I agree. I was laughing to myself last night as Bickel was pointing and yelling "NO F.....G CLASS!" at the Sioux last night on the ice. I was trying to figure out what his screen name was. ;)

While watching the bench discussion, I scratched my head thinking "did that just happen?" Using the magic of TiVo, I went back and was able to freeze on a crystal clear image of Hak's bird. Fantastic! I fell on the floor laughing. It is just part of a terrific evening of hostility and abusiveness served up by our Fighting Sioux. Prpich would have loved this game.

Got news for the "class police" out there. Hockey's a rough sport. There's plenty of bad language and nasty behavior by all involved. I think I'm more impressed with Hak after this. They guy finally showed some fire, came unglued, and now feels bad about it. That's emotion. That's heart. He's human.

We all get pissed, launch off, and then regret it later. Not many, however, have a camera there while it happens.

taz

While watching the bench discussion, I scratched my head thinking "did that just happen?" Using the magic of TiVo, I went back and was able to freeze on a crystal clear image of Hak's bird. Fantastic! I fell on the floor laughing. It is just part of a terrific evening of hostility and abusiveness served up by our Fighting Sioux. Prpich would have loved this game.

Got news for the "class police" out there. Hockey's a rough sport. There's plenty of bad language and nasty behavior by all involved. I think I'm more impressed with Hak after this. They guy finally showed some fire, came unglued, and now feels bad about it. That's emotion. That's heart. He's human.

We all get pissed, launch off, and then regret it later. Not many, however, have a camera there while it happens.

taz

I agree with you. Does anyone notice after UND has come to town and left you would have thought the Sioux are like the Slap Shot boys they left the towns folk cowering under their tables in fear. Funny thing there have only been two fights all season and UND was responding to rough play from the other team.

Edited by Goon

When did hockey become golf. This is not a game with proper etiquette, this is a rough and tumble game where your emotions get the best of you, and players and coaches express themselves. Its funny that people never get mad when we see or hear a coach or player drop an F-bomb or some other word on television or radio. I think there are far worse actions in sports then this, Ron Artest, Michael Vick, Kyle Okposo, and steroids.

It's funny that we complain about swear words and middle fingers when their are players willing to beat the crap out of each other on the ice. Now I'm not condoning that, but its a little hypocritical to think that is an ok message to send to the kids, but the former is not.

People need to stop going nuts over a simple bird, we've all done it, and I'm sure many have done it in front of their children. Hak has admitted it wasn't his best moment, and its a very honorable thing to be able to come right out on his own and make a statement like that.

You may disregard the KO comment if you like.

When did hockey become golf. This is not a game with proper etiquette, this is a rough and tumble game where your emotions get the best of you, and players and coaches express themselves. Its funny that people never get mad when we see or hear a coach or player drop an F-bomb or some other word on television or radio. I think there are far worse actions in sports then this, Ron Artest, Michael Vick, Kyle Okposo, and steroids.

It's funny that we complain about swear words and middle fingers when their are players willing to beat the crap out of each other on the ice. Now I'm not condoning that, but its a little hypocritical to think that is an ok message to send to the kids, but the former is not.

People need to stop going nuts over a simple bird, we've all done it, and I'm sure many have done it in front of their children. Hak has admitted it wasn't his best moment, and its a very honorable thing to be able to come right out on his own and make a statement like that.

You may disregard the KO comment if you like.

Sure WE have all done it - but please enlighten us with a name or two of a major college or pro coach who has flipped off a referee.

I have never ever seen it in the thousands of live and televised games I have witnessed.

But let's "move on" as quickly as possible now so we don't have to acknowledge just how bush league our coach looks.

Sure WE have all done it - but please enlighten us with a name or two of a major college or pro coach who has flipped off a referee.

I have never ever seen it in the thousands of live and televised games I have witnessed.

But let's "move on" as quickly as possible now so we don't have to acknowledge just how bush league our coach looks.

The thousands or live and televised events?? It and other words, gestures are used more often than anyone can imagine I bet. Because YOU did not see it, doesn't mean it didn't happen. If cameras would scope in on coaches more frequently, you would be able to lip read a number of 4-letter words. Give it a rest already. Worse things have happened. It isn't like he left for the locker room with 2 seconds left because his team was losing...........

Hakstol is a solid right act. We know this because it is reflected in the way that his team carries itself when on the road. We also know this from general reputation, and observing his bench demeanor over the last several years. Here, he made a mistake. He issued an apology as immediately as he could have done so. He has vowed that it will never happen again, and I am quite sure that it will not.

I suspect that anyone having to listen to the stupid, and well likely foul foul mouth of Don Adam during the game, spoken during the heat of a very intense game with emotions running high, may well have flipped the bird as well. It came after a time when Adam and his boys had well begun losing control of a game that they could, and should, have kept in control much earlier. I suspect that Adam came over to the bench and started yelling at Hakstol in a very angry, unfair, condescending, and profanity-laced way. In that heat of emotion, Hakstol had two choices. Jump the dasher boards and choke Adam back into a world of reason, or simply flip him the bird. Hakstol chose the passive aggressive route.

We have ALL done this. It's just that none of us have high profile jobs, and that none of us have the glare of television cameras on us all of the time. Oh, wait. I guess that a fair few of us do live in Glass Houses. These folks, of course, have never done anything wrong, and specialize in pointing out the faults of others. Stone away. Self righteousness is a much bigger problem in this world than is a finger flipped in the fray of fun.

taz

Right on Taz. A few of the bunny-kissing, tree-huggers need to start watching Golf or Lawn Bowling instead. The fact is that good hockey teams, like other major sports teams, will play on the edge to get a victory. The WCHA proves time and again that if you don't have adequate officiating you lose control, plain and simple. If Peltier had been penalized for throwing punches at Trupp we probably wouldn't be debating the aftermath of Saturday's game two days after the fact. Everything escalated after that non-call.

If Hakstol gets fined I'm sending in a few bucks because I flipped off Adam from home.

Was the WCHA official swearing as well? If so why would he be not fined the same as the coach?

Furthermore there still is the question of why the WCHA official there did not follow the rules and kick Peltier out for throwing punches.

It's unfortunate that Hakstol's action is overshadowing the utterly unprofessional job the official did.

Here comes this class argument again. Who Cares?!?!?!?! Dumbest argument in sports. If you find calling people and their actions "classless," then I'm sure you think you must set the moral standard for everyone else. Get a life.

I seem to recall that some felt the Jersey Pops were classless, so I guess you can throw that argument away going forward

My question about this whole incident was, "How in the world did FSN always have a camera over Hak's shoulder for the entire game?" Did they have a camera assigned to him? Especially so in the conversations he had with Adams. These were aside talks that every coach has with refs during a game, but the cameras (with audio) always seemed to be there for Hak on Saturday. (Followed by incredulous comments by Woog and Moz). (BTH, anyone else see the irony in Woog's comments how suspension was coming off this? No flashbacks on FSN to 1996?)

My question about this whole incident was, "How in the world did FSN always have a camera over Hak's shoulder for the entire game?" Did they have a camera assigned to him? Especially so in the conversations he had with Adams. These were aside talks that every coach has with refs during a game, but the cameras (with audio) always seemed to be there for Hak on Saturday. (Followed by incredulous comments by Woog and Moz). (BTH, anyone else see the irony in Woog's comments how suspension was coming off this? No flashbacks on FSN to 1996?)

They hired the Patriots camera guy

taz

This post pretty much sums it up for me. I was at the game listening to the entire goof student section cheer their chant "F$#K you Adam" .

Then they put posts on thier board how classless UND is and they have to sheild their 4 and 7 year old from all the f bombs UND throws out. Whatever.

It was intense and the emotions were high.

Its nice to see Hak have some emotion... he is human - he's making it right - Next.