Jump to content
SiouxSports.com Forum
fightingsioux4life

Official UND Football Regime Change Thread

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, O Town said:

Not saying it had anything to do with the season as i believe the injuries this season were a big reason for the loses as well as the lack of play calling but the players not geting rings for last years conference championship left a sour taste in there mouths. That goes for all the players. Its bull---- that the school didnt find a way to pay, raise money or allow the players to buy the Rings. Just saying. 

I agree it is cheap - I hadn't even heard of this until lately - seems to have been absolutely no push to fund them.  It's time we get serious about football and demand excellence.  

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone who is concerned about their kid/buddy not getting a conference championship ring needs to reevaluate their own priorities and what they are emphasizing to that kid.  Seriously.

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, O Town said:

Not saying it had anything to do with the season as i believe the injuries this season were a big reason for the loses as well as the lack of play calling but the players not geting rings for last years conference championship left a sour taste in there mouths. That goes for all the players. Its bull---- that the school didnt find a way to pay, raise money or allow the players to buy the Rings. Just saying. 

This is exactly where the wheels started to come off the bus last season.  Back in January 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sioux94 said:

For the guys that are Juniors (2014 class if their redshirt was not pulled) the staff wasn't in position until January.  As somebody pointed out on another thread, the 2014 class was a killer for ILB.  We had none of them contribute in 2017, Bakker would have if he didn't have to retire.  Hard to fault the staff for not getting an all the way around good recruiting class for 2014 when they didn't start until January, I can't fully blame them for the 2014 ILB guys that were recruited.  Would you admit that this was at least a little bit out of their control.....that there isn't more/better depth in what would have been the junior class this past year given that they had 30 days to put that class together?   I will give you that they should have brought in a transfer or two at ILB to try to make up for the lack of depth.  Not sure if they tried and just couldn't land any, or if they didn't try.  

Back in 2014 and 2015, the staff brought in a lot of linebackers and corners that eventually just left. I'll do the research later and post names to prove my point. 

I agree that the 2014 class was fragmented due to time constraints with the hiring of the staff, but the staff had 2015, 2016, and 2017 to correct this. That is where I find this inexcusable. College football coaching staffs dictate the formation of the roster - that's reality. If you can't recruit, you're limited as a program. Pure and simple. UND took its lumps in 2014 and to some degree 2015. We should be past the "depth and recruiting excuse" by now people. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Irish said:

I'm less concerned with the injury issue as it is somewhat out of our control - my problem is the 1980's inflexible offense that Bubba and Rudolph have created.  The total lack of adjustments and misuse of talent is coaching malpractice - someone needs to be held accountable and since Bubba seems incapable of holding anyone else accountable it falls on him.  

The offense is incredibly basic and quarterback unfriendly - that I agree with. The offense's success is predicated on simply having better players than the opposing team; no scheme by Rudolph to try offset that at all. I will say, though, that this is apparently how Bubba wants it. Disappointing to a degree.

One cannot overlook the defense though. They were horrible in 2017, and that is not okay for a program based on its defensive identity (Bubba and Schmidt). The team had poor depth; why wasn't this addressed earlier on? The staff has been in place for four seasons.

This type of a season was set up far before the injuries of this season actually occurred. That is where the fault lies. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, geaux_sioux said:

I strongly disagree. It’s not so much the ring itself but what it means. Not providing those for such a huge accomplishment made a bad statement. We got them for the Great West title. These guys deserved them.

You strenuously object?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Irish said:

I agree it is cheap - I hadn't even heard of this until lately - seems to have been absolutely no push to fund them.  It's time we get serious about football and demand excellence.  

While I agree that it would have been great if the players would have received rings.  A couple of important facts:

-- For a good quality ring, they would have cost at least $200 each.  There were about 125 recipients (100 players, 15 coaches (including grad assistants) and another 10 others (trainers, equipment managers, admin, etc.)  With UND's athletic programs already facing major financial challenges, they apparently felt that they couldn't find an extra $25,000.  I do think they could have put out an APB to CC members and FB alumni and the $ could have been raised but they elected not to do so.

-- I think allowing players to buy their own rings may have caused more chaos in the locker room than not providing them.  There are a lot of kids who probably couldn't afford a ring.  Yes, the majority of them receive COA funds.  But many don't and some walk-ons contribute considerably more than a scholarship player (redshirt freshmen, etc.).  I think some kids having rings and others not would have been a big issue!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, old school said:

This is exactly where the wheels started to come off the bus last season.  Back in January 

The team should have been provided rings, that was chicken !@#$ on the part of UND.  I started to hear about the other problems during the 2016 season.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, UND Fan said:

While I agree that it would have been great if the players would have received rings.  A couple of important facts:

-- For a good quality ring, they would have cost at least $200 each.  There were about 125 recipients (100 players, 15 coaches (including grad assistants) and another 10 others (trainers, equipment managers, admin, etc.)  With UND's athletic programs already facing major financial challenges, they apparently felt that they couldn't find an extra $25,000.  I do think they could have put out an APB to CC members and FB alumni and the $ could have been raised but they elected not to do so.

-- I think allowing players to buy their own rings may have caused more chaos in the locker room than not providing them.  There are a lot of kids who probably couldn't afford a ring.  Yes, the majority of them receive COA funds.  But many don't and some walk-ons contribute considerably more than a scholarship player (redshirt freshmen, etc.).  I think some kids having rings and others not would have been a big issue!

I forgot about the FCOA money these kids get now.  #butnorings

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I think the rings would be more important to them than the FCOA money.

I would take the $2000-3400 myself but if you want the $125 ring that's cool, too. 

But these days they should get both...just because. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really can’t believe conference championship rings are that big of a deal.  I don’t recall ever getting one.  I don’t know if other local programs get one, their sites may be set higher.  

For the other sports at UND, I can see them being a big deal because realistically, they aren’t winning a national championship.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, O Town said:

Not saying it had anything to do with the season as i believe the injuries this season were a big reason for the loses as well as the lack of play calling but the players not geting rings for last years conference championship left a sour taste in there mouths. That goes for all the players. Its bull---- that the school didnt find a way to pay, raise money or allow the players to buy the Rings. Just saying. 

If it is the AD that decides there are no funds, why the other programs received rings is crazy to me.  Basketball, Hockey, WVball??? It continues with the other programs receiving winter coats and not Football.  Don't know what is going on, perhaps the coaches raises last season have effected the overall budget for Football to this degree??

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, homer said:

I really can’t believe conference championship rings are that big of a deal.  I don’t recall ever getting one.  I don’t know if other local programs get one, their sites may be set higher.  

For the other sports at UND, I can see them being a big deal because realistically, they aren’t winning a national championship.  

NDSU got rings for their first Great West title. Not sure about The Valley. Pretty sure every year but last year when they won The Valley they won the whole thing so a conference ring wouldn’t be needed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, geaux_sioux said:

NDSU got rings for their first Great West title. Not sure about The Valley. Pretty sure every year but last year when they won The Valley they won the whole thing so a conference ring wouldn’t be needed.

My understanding is that past Big Sky champions all received rings thru the schools. Even EW got them the same year as co champiions. For those who dont think the rings are a big deal, they are and means alot to the players as a remeberance of the accomplishment down the road. Why did the other programs get rings that year. Bull---- if it comes down to numbers.  If one team receives them all team should receive fhem.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, O Town said:

If one team receives them all team should receive fhem.

Did the hockey team get them the years they won the WCHA/NCHC?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, O Town said:

My understanding is that past Big Sky champions all received rings thru the schools. Even EW got them the same year as co champiions. For those who dont think the rings are a big deal, they are and means alot to the players as a remeberance of the accomplishment down the road. Why did the other programs get rings that year. Bull---- if it comes down to numbers.  If one team receives them all team should receive fhem.

The other teams don't have a snowball's chance in hell to win a national championship. 

I'm all for it and maybe the coaches learned to reevaluate the importance.  Goals should be more than that though for the players. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Did the hockey team get them the years they won the WCHA/NCHC?

Makes no difference - the only legit comparison is if other Big Sky football champs get them.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, homer said:

The other teams don't have a snowball's chance in hell to win a national championship. 

I'm all for it and maybe the coaches learned to reevaluate the importance.  Goals should be more than that though for the players. 

 

I can guarantee ever years goal is for a national championship. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even with a 3-8 record & turmoil on-off the field, we got fans/relatives now coming onto a message board and bitching about players not getting rings for the 2016 season and not getting "team winter coats" to wear.   :silly:

Better not bitch about the team appearing to be soft and not focused at times.  Their fans/relatives are the same way.

 

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Ozzie82 said:

Makes no difference - the only legit comparison is if other Big Sky football champs get them.

Unless the conference is paying for them (they aren't), then I think it's irrelevant what other schools do. Comparing what is done with other programs at UND makes more sense. 

For the record, I lean towards the thinking that they should have got rings however, I haven't heard the actual reasons on why they did or didn't outside of some theories presented on this board. If I had to guess, it's budget cuts, but that's just my guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, UND-1 said:

Even with a 3-8 record & turmoil on-off the field, we got fans/relatives now coming onto a message board and bitching about players not getting rings for the 2016 season and not getting "team winter coats" to wear.   :silly:

Better not bitch about the team appearing to be soft and not focused at times.  Their fans/relatives are the same way.

 

We had the option to buy team winter coats. I bought one. It was warm. Still is to this day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×