SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ NDSU Gameyear Thread

geaux_sioux

Big Sioux fan but realistic also. You may be right but hope not! Hell, I think the herd could take notre dame by 3 - 5 td's. Amazing how the fighting irish (not hostile & offensive I guess?) football team stays as big/popular as it is despite very little done by major college football standards in the last 25 years. They're pulling the wool over somebody's eyes.

Are you upset that my favorite college football team sells out every game and plays on national television even though they haven't been declared a national champion since '88?

That was a long time ago. Im hardly a bison fan anymore if at all, still take an interest obviously. I don't think we'll see the Bison at 11K again.

The move to D1 has really done well for NDSU. Some other posters could probably expand on specifics.

Success in the playoffs have kept the Bison "herd" together, but attendance did drop during and after the 3-8 season. If the Bison ever pull a "Muss" and have down year after down year that herd will thin out.

Hanging out in the big sky and avoiding area rivals keeps und on the verge of not being relevant in FB and BB compared to area rivals. IMO, that's a major mistake, especially with the national attention that the Summit will get in their new building. Talk all you want about FB in the 90's, but scholarship reductions were a big help then. At some point und will need to crawl back to Summit. You are current playing outside your recruiting footprint, and that hurts, especially in FB. For the Bison, und in the big sky and the rivalry on ice has been liberating, and a blessing. In FB, not having to deal with the ugliness of that rival has kept NDSU focused on the bigger picture.

• Upvote 2

Hanging out in the big sky and avoiding area rivals keeps und on the verge of not being relevant in FB and BB compared to area rivals. IMO, that's a major mistake, especially with the national attention that the Summit will get in their new building. Talk all you want about FB in the 90's, but scholarship reductions were a big help then. At some point und will need to crawl back to Summit. You are current playing outside your recruiting footprint, and that hurts, especially in FB. For the Bison, und in the big sky and the rivalry on ice has been liberating, and a blessing.

Crawl back? The Summit was practically begging UND to join and UND turned them down cause Patty lacked the foresight. She is the one who needs to wake up and offer the invite and then it would happen. Send Youngstown JC to the east.

Hanging out in the big sky and avoiding area rivals keeps und on the verge of not being relevant in FB and BB compared to area rivals. IMO, that's a major mistake, especially with the national attention that the Summit will get in their new building. Talk all you want about FB in the 90's, but scholarship reductions were a big help then. At some point und will need to crawl back to Summit. You are current playing outside your recruiting footprint, and that hurts, especially in FB. For the Bison, und in the big sky and the rivalry on ice has been liberating, and a blessing. In FB, not having to deal with the ugliness of that rival has kept NDSU focused on the bigger picture.

In terms of football, the Big Sky Conference is actually a positive recruiting asset. Playing against the likes of Montana, Montana State, and Eastern Washington, as well as getting to play in California, is a draw to many young student-athletes. The MVFC has better competition as of late, but the BSC is not far behind. Every season the BSC will produce a serious national title contender, and the last few seasons that contender has been Eastern Washington. UND hopes to be that top BSC team in a couple seasons, if not sooner.

As for recruiting footprint, UND still recruits ND and MN the heaviest. That is their calling card, and if UND is winning, student-athletes from the regional footprint will gladly play BSC football and not think twice about what they're "missing" in the MVFC. The whole "out of footprint" thing is completely overblown from a conference standpoint. The member schools and travel opportunities make up for that in the BSC. Also, the Summit is a low-major league; it won't be getting any major attention like you speak of. Yes, the tourney is held in a nice new facility, but that doesn't change national perception. Tons of conference tourneys are held in large, state-of-the-art venues. The BSC allows the top school to host the tourney, which if UND acquired, would be great for the city of GF and attendance would be top notch.

Yawn.......

It is a long time between now and the game. What's on page 2 of 'Moronic Drivel to Post on a Non-Rivals Forum'? Seriously, page 1 wore out!!

• Upvote 2

Success in the playoffs have kept the Bison "herd" together, but attendance did drop during and after the 3-8 season. If the Bison ever pull a "Muss" and have down year after down year that herd will thin out.

Care to let us know when NDSU last had a failure of a football coach like Muss?

I'm not going to claim 19,000 forever, I'm saying they've had back to back mediocre/bad seasons and attendance was okay.

I'm not going to claim 19,000 forever, I'm saying they've had back to back mediocre/bad seasons and attendance was okay.

Rocky couldn't beat UND at the end and neither could Babich and they both got run out of there.

In regards to taking a team from the top and making them potential bottom feeders Babich maybe but not as dramatic as Muss did. But Rocky had the Bison at the top in the 90's then things came crashing down as the decade dragged on and into their last days of DII. Even Bohl stumbled out of the gate in the MVFC, until their run happened. Things can change quickly in college football one day a powerhouse the next day Average Joe. It will take a while and pure disaster for the Bison to lose enough fans to give tickets away at a gas station.

You'd have to imagine the plan will be to stop the run and make Wentz beat you; however, that's dangerous territory as well.

As a coaching friend once told me, when you pass the ball, three things can happen, and two of those things are bad. Focus should likely be to stop the run and bring pressure on Wentz, hoping for a sack fumble or deflected pass resulting in an interception. UND's defense will need to create turnovers for UND to have a shot.

I think you always game plan to stop the run......except for maybe an Eastern Washington, I don't know what the hell to plan against that.  I think we will have a lot of run blitzes with the pulling and power run game we'll see from SU.  Ratelle should be blowing things up in the backfield when Schmitty calls it at the right time.  If we misalign or get caught in something SU could pop a 10-15 yarder. The other thing SU does is wear on you, and run plays you stop in the 1st half are all of a sudden going for 5 - 15 yards a crack.  That's why we need some offensive production, to keep our D as fresh as possible.   

SU's pass attack.......can be hit and miss in my opinion.  The young kid they have RJ is pretty good.  I'm sure we'll be aware of where he lines up on passing downs.

Was that before or after bitching about the loss of scholarships at the DII level in regards to UND's rise to power.

Tell me more about this rise to power.... I'd love to hear about the nattys in particular.

Tell me more about this rise to power.... I'd love to hear about the nattys in particular.

Really?  You are questioning UND's rise to power in the 90's?  Conference titles is 1993, 1994, 1995, 1999. Oh and in 2001 we won the conference, again, as well as that  Natty you wanted to hear about so much.  In that same time frame, NDSU won one conference title (co champs with UND in 1993).  So while you and other Bison fans like to dimish any success UND football has or has had in the past, Maybe look at the stats before you make such a moronic statement!! :)

• Upvote 1

Really? You are questioning UND's rise to power in the 90's? Conference titles is 1993, 1994, 1995, 1999. Oh and in 2001 we won the conference, again, as well as that Natty you wanted to hear about so much. In that same time frame, NDSU won one conference title (co champs with UND in 1993). So while you and other Bison fans like to dimish any success UND football has or has had in the past, Maybe look at the stats before you make such a moronic statement!! :)

So.... One national championship? Glad we got that cleared up. UND football in the 90's/early 00's truly is power personified.

So.... One national championship? Glad we got that cleared up. UND football in the 90's/early 00's truly is power personified.

And in that time frame...ZERO playoff games in the Fargodome. Yep power did go 70 miles north of Fargo.

And how many conference titles and national titles did NDSU win in the 90's? How many playoff games did they host? That is what this discussion is about.  The fact that in the 90's, UND dominated not only NDSU, but had great success in the NCC as shown by the number of conference titles.  All that leading up to their National Championship in 2001. 

Does it get old for you having to be corrected all the time by facts?!! :)

And in that time frame...ZERO playoff games in the Fargodome. Yep power did go 70 miles north of Fargo.

So from what I'm gathering, you seem to just be comparing yourself with what NDSU was doing during that span of time.

Was UND more successful than NDSU during that time? No question. Can't be debated. Would I or most people refer to that as some rise to power? I don't think so. It yielded one national championship.

And how many conference titles and national titles did NDSU win in the 90's? How many playoff games did they host? That is what this discussion is about. The fact that in the 90's, UND dominated not only NDSU, but had great success in the NCC as shown by the number of conference titles. All that leading up to their National Championship in 2001.

You continue to prove my point. Thank you.

And how many conference titles and national titles did NDSU win in the 90's? How many playoff games did they host? That is what this discussion is about.  The fact that in the 90's, UND dominated not only NDSU, but had great success in the NCC as shown by the number of conference titles.  All that leading up to their National Championship in 2001. 

This is tiresome but with the crack job John Boy got with his degree from FU it appears to be his only joy in life. You must also remember that there were two generations of FU fans that never saw a playoff game in the FU Dome in that time period. 

So from what I'm gathering, you seem to just be comparing yourself with what NDSU was doing during that span of time.

Was UND more successful than NDSU during that time? No question. Can't be debated. Would I or most people refer to that as some rise to power? I don't think so. It yielded one national championship.

How many NCC titles did NDSU win between 1993 (NDSU fans love to pick starting years so I decided to pick this one) and 2003, and how many did UND win? We will excuse the 2006 UND defeating MVFC power UNI to prove our strength against upper divisions.

This is tiresome but with the crack job John Boy got with his degree from FU it appears to be his only joy in life. You must also remember that there were two generations of FU fans that never saw a playoff game in the FU Dome in that time period.

Remember Johnboy is not an FU fan anymore so I guess he is just here to troll.

How many NCC titles did NDSU win between 1993 (NDSU fans love to pick starting years so I decided to pick this one) and 2003, and how many did UND win? We will excuse the 2006 UND defeating MVFC power UNI to prove our strength against upper divisions.

I already said UND was much more successful than NDSU during that time. Why do you continue to bring NDSU into it? Shouldn't you be bragging up the many national titles UND won against the cream of the crop?

The overwhelming idea I'm getting is you are content with beating NDSU, and anything else that is gravy.