SiouxSports.com Forum

United ending service in GFK

Vegas_Sioux

I'm pretty upset Frontier isn't flying into Fargo anymore.  No more $180 roundtrip flights from Denver to Fargo.  I have to either pony up $400 or fly into Bismarck or the Cities.

You can usually fly to Denver pretty cheap out of Jamestown or Devils Lake. $200 to $250 round trip on Skywest (united) and the parking is free.

Devils lake can support united but grand forks can't that's ridiculous.

I usually fly out of Fargo after driving there from grand forks because of the flight options compared to gfk. I don't care what airport I am supporting. Time is money and hector saves me time even with the 2 hour round trip drive. It's too bad grand forks and Fargo just didn't build a combined airport in Hillsboro.

Regarding United though. From my experience they are the worst airline to fly with. Maybe in my expereriences ohare is to blame but I also avoid United at all costs after some of my recent experiences with that 2nd rate airline.

• Upvote 1

I believe some United States Congressman (not sure which one) is most recently trying to begin an investigation or hearings with recent concerns over collusion between the major air carriers.  Delta, United, American and Southwest.    Apparently, the accusation is that they are conspiring with one another to take out flights and planes from service to keep prices high for all of them. Even though boardings is at an all time high.  Of course, I would be shocked if an investigation or congressional hearing will actually uncover anything substantial to force these airlines to change anything that they do, because lets face- it doesn't matter which party these folks in D.C. are from, they are utterly inept in nearly everything they do with the exception of collection their checks and pensions.  Even though I think its very apparent to the average citizen that the major airlines do indeed resort to such tactics.  

Back to GFK/United.  I don't think it was a case that GFK didn't want United, as it was a case that United took their ball and went home.   The biggest problem I have with that was how big of sample size did they have for usage over that time- to come to that decision?   A year?  18 months?  In business, I've always found that you need a larger sample size than you usually think,  to market and change behavioral patterns etc.  I'm not sure United gave it a good chance.

• Upvote 1

Devils lake can support united but grand forks can't that's ridiculous.

I usually fly out of Fargo after driving there from grand forks because of the flight options compared to gfk. I don't care what airport I am supporting. Time is money and hector saves me time even with the 2 hour round trip drive. It's too bad grand forks and Fargo just didn't build a combined airport in Hillsboro.

Regarding United though. From my experience they are the worst airline to fly with. Maybe in my expereriences ohare is to blame but I also avoid United at all costs after some of my recent experiences with that 2nd rate airline.

Devils Lake and Jamestown have flights to Denver, rather than Minneapolis, because under provisions of the Federal Essential Air Service, routes to those cities have guaranteed subsidies. No carrier from Minneapolis bid.

Grand Forks offered state and city subsidies to United, but as soon as the subsidies ran out, United pulled the plug.

When Grand Forks has UAS and fertilizer plant construction traffic pick up, would expect United to jump back in.

So here are the most recent boarding numbers I can find for the state's airports from the month of April 2015:  Boardings down at North Dakota airports

Fargo:  34,453

Minot:  15,024

Grand Forks:  11,623

Williston:  10,378

Dickinson:  3,849

Bismarck:  2,200

So again I ask, why can GFK only support one airline (other than Allegiant)?  The Bismarck number is ridiculous to me as they have Delta, United, American, and Frontier!

GFK has the 3rd highest boarding numbers and is the only one of the "major" ND airports that that only has one major carrier serving it.

I don't get it.  Also, how can the numbers in Bismarck (2nd largest city in the state) be so low?

So here are the most recent boarding numbers I can find for the state's airports from the month of April 2015:  Boardings down at North Dakota airports

So again I ask, why can GFK only support one airline (other than Allegiant)?  The Bismarck number is ridiculous to me as they have Delta, United, American, and Frontier!

GFK has the 3rd highest boarding numbers and is the only one of the "major" ND airports that that only has one major carrier serving it.

I don't get it.  Also, how can the numbers in Bismarck (2nd largest city in the state) be so low?

You gotta think Grand Forks numbers would be higher if there was still a direct flight to Denver.  What were the numbers for the last April United was still in town?

I think it's a misprint, it should be about 19,000, they were up 2200 over 2014.

I think it's a misprint, it should be about 19,000, they were up 2200 over 2014.

That makes sense, I should have figured that out.

You gotta think Grand Forks numbers would be higher if there was still a direct flight to Denver.  What were the numbers for the last April United was still in town?

Here is a document listing April boardings going back 10 years.  Looks like United's service in GFK didn't make much difference.  They served the GFK from October of 2012 through December of 2013.

However you feel about having only one airline (it stinks), that's not the only problem…consider the singular hub.  If DL would simply add a couple of SLC flights, westbound travel out of GFK would be markedly better.

Looks like United's service in GFK didn't make much difference.

I bet it did to Delta. :)  (Full disclosure, I was only one butt in one seat on one round-trip while it lasted, but I jumped at the chance to fly through Denver.)

GFK has more than one airline.

You can fly Allegiant to Daytona/Orlando/Sanford, FL (SFB), Las Vegas (LAS), or Phoenix/Mesa (AZA). If you're savvy and creative you can make a hop from there. 

Yeah it could be done, but not real convenient to try to match up limited Allegiant flights with other "connecting" flights.  Then you have to handle your baggage twice as well.  I've tried to make this work, and have yet to be successful.

Not a ton of flight options either out of SFB or AZA.  McCarren is the only place it would be remotely feasible.

If you're going to SFB you're going to SFB. ;) 

AZA? You'd probably end up going over to Sky Harbor unless you just got lucky and things just synced up (right destination, right flight). 

LAS would be the best. Do it right and you spend a night in Vegas during the travel.