SiouxSports.com Forum

2012 Soccer

GeauxSioux

Welcome to UND's new soccer players...

Joining North Dakota for its first Division-I postseason eligible season and first year of competition in its new home of the Big Sky Conference are Caitlin Dahl (Redmond, Wash.), Jensen Forbes (Lethbridge, Alberta), Jessica Johnson (Tempe, Ariz.), Taryn MacMillan (Rosemount, Minn.), Lindsey Micheletti (Eagan, Minn.), Marissa Ricci (West St. Paul, Minn.) and Abbey Welle (White Bear Lake, Minn.).

Caitlin Dahl

Gay said: "Caitlin will provide some much needed depth at the outside midfielder position with the ability to play on either side. She has a great fitness base and will be dangerous with her service and joining the attack."

Dahl said on choosing UND: "UND is a family school I like everything about it. My mom, dad, aunts, uncles, cousins and grandparents all went to school there."

Jensen Forbes

Gay said: "Jensen has been to camp for the past two years and has proven she can play at this level. She has great size and strength, as well as the ability to win balls out of the air. She has the ability to make an impact on our back line."

Forbes said on choosing UND: "The school is in a beautiful area and I like how the town is surrounding the university. I wanted to go to a school that was not too big and not too small. I believe that UND is the perfect fit for me because there are so many nice people and there are many courses to choose from."

Jessica Johnson

Gay said: "Jessica is a technically gifted player and can read the game extremely well. She can create some things in the middle of the field that will provide opportunities for us to be dangerous in front of the goal."

Johnson said on choosing UND: "It's a beautiful campus, friendly people and an easy commute back home."

Taryn MacMillan

Gay said: "Taryn is very confident and composed player with her game being both physical and finesse. She has a tremendous work rate and training mentality and comes from an environment that knows how to win. She has a great ability to read the game and play some dangerous balls."

MacMillan said on choosing UND: "UND has always been my dream school over any other college."

Lindsey Micheletti

Gay said: "Lindsey is a great athlete and her speed and quickness will be an asset as we look for her to play various positions. She is a tough competitor and will raise the level in training/games for our team."

Micheletti said on choosing UND: "I felt wanted by the staff and loved the atmosphere."

Marissa Ricci

Gay said: "Marissa is a fierce competitor and tremendous defender and tough in the tackle. She can play anywhere on the backline as she is composed on the ball and can join the attack."

Ricci said on choosing UND: "I like the area, love college hockey and coach Gay is going to be a great coach."

Abbey Welle

Gay said: "Abbey's athletic ability will provide some depth at the forward position. She comes from a winning program and that same mentality is one that she will bring with her in August."

Welle said on choosing UND: "Great campus, good size, soccer and not too far away from home."

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This program is embarrassing. They had wins this season against Crookston and South Dakota St. Went 0-9 in Big Sky play.

Sdsu is exactly in the middle of the Summit League, so the lower half there is absolutely atrocious. The soccer performance of UND may not be good, but rather have that than an appearance of mediocrity with membership in the Summit League.

Sdsu is exactly in the middle of the Summit League, so the lower half there is absolutely atrocious. The soccer performance of UND may not be good, but rather have that than an appearance of mediocrity with membership in the Summit League.

Wining one game doesn't necessarily mean anything but at that time you were better. Do you think Alaska is better than your hockey team since they won on Saturday?

Wining one game doesn't necessarily mean anything but at that time you were better. Do you think Alaska is better than your hockey team since they won on Saturday?

Cool. I'll be forwarding that notion to Sam Houston State regarding a game against NDSU. ;)

• Upvote 2

UND just announced that Kristen Gay's contract won't be renewed.

"Gay spent five seasons as the head coach at North Dakota and compiled a career record of 22-61-6."

Using ties as "half a win" 22-61-6 is 0.281.

0.281 is a batting average for a slick fielding shortstop, not a winning percentage at UND.

She was a hire from the low budget Buning era, so that along with her record shouldn't make this change any surprise. I' sure Faison wants to challenge for the Big Sky overall sports championship, and with soccer finishing last, that becomes very very difficult. With on off season of recruiting, this team could be turned around quickly.

• 2 weeks later...

Should take a look at Minot State. They have an assistant that has ties to England - Minot State's star played for the Chelsea ladies team and will be an All-American. That kind of connection could bring some real talent, especially with the opportunity to play at the Division I level. MSU won the Northern Sun tourney this year in their first season in the conference.

• 1 month later...

Should take a look at Minot State. They have an assistant that has ties to England - Minot State's star played for the Chelsea ladies team and will be an All-American. That kind of connection could bring some real talent, especially with the opportunity to play at the Division I level. MSU won the Northern Sun tourney this year in their first season in the conference.

Nearing 2 months without a coach....I have to assume that it's getting close, otherwise I'd imagine that we're going to start loosing recruits if we haven't already.

I also agree that the Minot State coach would be a good get. The Mankato coach would be as well.

• 4 weeks later...