SiouxSports.com Forum

Conference Realignments

star2city

Seems quite likely that the Big Sky will soon lose a member, as the Big West announced that a membership moratorium was lifted yesterday:

Big Wests lifts Membership Moratorium

Any change in WAC, MWC, or Big West membership would likely impact the Big Sky.

Earlier, the Big West Commissioner said nothing would happen until spring: seems he's changed his tune. Couple things are supposedly happening:

1. WAC Commissioner Benson was asked at a football broadcast this weekend what schools would possibly be next for the WAC if Montana wasn't available and the WAC lost another school. Benson's response: Sac State, Portland State or UCDavis.

2. Hawaii may pay a travel allowance to the Big West for all sports and go independent in football only. If the WAC loses Hawaii, the WAC has to add another football school.

3. TCU to the Big East is likely imminent within the month, so the MWC might backfill from the WAC, taking Utah State. Air Force is also considering going football independent (and maybe to the WAC in other sports). La Tech might also have a chance to move from the WAC to CUSA if the Big East takes UCF or Houston.

4. If Sac State isn't selected for the WAC, they want the option of moving non-football sports to the Big West and keeping football in the Big Sky.

Anyway, would be surprised if Sac State is actually in the Big Sky by the time UND starts conference play in 2012. Portland State may be gone too.

Seems quite likely that the Big Sky will soon lose a member, as the Big West announced that a membership moratorium was lifted yesterday:

Big Wests lifts Membership Moratorium

Any change in WAC, MWC, or Big West membership would likely impact the Big Sky.

Earlier, the Big West Commissioner said nothing would happen until spring: seems he's changed his tune. Couple things are supposedly happening:

1. WAC Commissioner Benson was asked at a football broadcast this weekend what schools would possibly be next for the WAC if Montana wasn't available and the WAC lost another school. Benson's response: Sac State, Portland State or UCDavis.

2. Hawaii may pay a travel allowance to the Big West for all sports and go independent in football only. If the WAC loses Hawaii, the WAC has to add another football school.

3. TCU to the Big East is likely imminent within the month, so the MWC might backfill from the WAC, taking Utah State. Air Force is also considering going football independent (and maybe to the WAC in other sports). La Tech might also have a chance to move from the WAC to CUSA if the Big East takes UCF or Houston.

4. If Sac State isn't selected for the WAC, they want the option of moving non-football sports to the Big West and keeping football in the Big Sky.

Anyway, would be surprised if Sac State is actually in the Big Sky by the time UND starts conference play in 2012. Portland State may be gone too.

If this happens could the Big Sky look towards UND's neck of the woods for a replacement. Or have the Big Sky stay the same minus Sac St and PSU.

Hawaii to join the MWC in football and Big West in other sports..

The University of Hawaii has what is described as a "strong agreement in principle" to join the Mountain West Conference in football, people involved told the Star-Advertiser.

UH's other sports are expected to join the Big West and end what is currently a 32-year relationship with the Western Athletic Conference.

UH has called a 7 p.m. press conference today at Bachman Hall to make a major announcement. A Manoa spokesman declined comment.

The lateness is apparently to allow UH President MRC Greenwood and Manoa Chancellor Virginia Hinshaw to return from Maui, where the Board of Regents met today. The board was reportedly briefed on the MWC offer.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/109083259.html

This will cost the WAC a valuable bowl tie-in, their most marquee program and pretty much makes it the MAC west.

An announcement of Utah St. to the MWC must be coming within 3 weeks doesn't it?............................................

Pretty soon I'd guess, somebody on egriz posted the MWC comish said there is only room for two western FBS conferences.

Now TCU fans are saying they are joining the Big East. Let another conference shuffle begin!

http://www.killerfrogs.com/msgboard/index.php?showtopic=126017&st=0

Hawaii to join the MWC in football and Big West in other sports..

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/109083259.html

This will cost the WAC a valuable bowl tie-in, their most marquee program and pretty much makes it the MAC west.

Earlier, the MWC had been insisting that it would only take full members - not affiliates. They have changed their tune quickly.

This might mean that the MWC may allow TCU to stay for everything but football. The Big East wants TCU football, but not necessarily everything else.

The Big East is supposedly adding UCF as a football-only school - not sure what league UCF's other sports will move to (possibly A-Sun or even A-10), as CUSA will kick UCF out.

The WAC now has to add Sac St or Portland State to survive as an FBS conference. If nothing else, the WAC can patch together the schools to be a non-football conference.

Either way, this is reasonably good news for UND: either the Big Sky loses most of it's Pacific time zone schools, or the Big Sky gets even bigger with Idaho and SJSU football from the WAC.

Sounds like tomorrow:

TCU gets an all-sports invite to the Big East

UCF gets a football only invite to the Big East

Should TCU leave, the MWC would be at 10 football / 9 basketball.

The next big questions become does Air Force go independent, and who CUSA selects to replace UCF?

Sounds like tomorrow:

TCU gets an all-sports invite to the Big East

UCF gets a football only invite to the Big East

Should TCU leave, the MWC would be at 10 football / 9 basketball.

The next big questions become does Air Force go independent, and who CUSA selects to replace UCF?

The Big East is such a garbage conference. The MWC is still so much better than the Big Least, even after the losses of BYU and Utah. I just can't see why TCU wants to go there.

I just can't see why TCU wants to go there.

Some wonderful advice given to me long ago that I've passed along more than once here:

When all seems confusing, when up is down, and nothing makes sense ...

Stop.

Take a deep breath.

Rise above the situation.

Look down at it objectively.

And then follow The Benjamins.

All will become clear.

Why Big East? More TVs; more television money.

WAC:

Boise State -- gone to MWC

Fresno State -- gone to MWC

Hawaii -- gone to MWC (FB) and Big West

Idaho

Louisiana Tech

Nevada -- gone to MWC

New Mexico State

San Jose State

Utah State

Given this Hawai'i (<-- that's the official way to spell it per the Hawai'i legislature :silly: ) news, I think I see why Montana really didn't want to jump at this time.

It Utah State jumps to the MWC (speculated), that really leaves Idaho, SJSU, and NMSU swingin' in the wind.

Idaho, SJSU, and NMSU ... that's three ... the BSC is at 13 now ... those three would make 16 for football, 14 all-sports. And that concludes today's really (dead-)WAC(-y) thought.

WAC:

Boise State -- gone to MWC

Fresno State -- gone to MWC

Hawaii -- gone to MWC (FB) and Big West

Idaho

Louisiana Tech

Nevada -- gone to MWC

New Mexico State

San Jose State

Utah State

Given this Hawai'i (<-- that's the official way to spell it per the Hawai'i legislature :silly: ) news, I think I see why Montana really didn't want to jump at this time.

It Utah State jumps to the MWC (speculated), that really leaves Idaho, SJSU, and NMSU swingin' in the wind.

Idaho, SJSU, and NMSU ... that's three ... the BSC is at 13 now ... those three would make 16 for football, 14 all-sports. And that concludes today's really (dead-)WAC(-y) thought.

So if the WAC were to fold, what would happen to the Texas schools that have accepted a bid?

Ouch, it has got to be tough to be a fan right now at San Jose St., Louisiana Tech, Idaho, & New Mexico State. For those schools it truely is limbo right now- for them- given the question of what their conference look like or if it will even exist next week. I know the feeling of limbo & uncertainty, thats why I am stoked about our opportunities now that we will be in the Big Sky. 2 months ago we were the ones that had alot of questions. Today we are the lucky ones. I'll take it.

Ouch, it has got to be tough to be a fan right now at San Jose St., Louisiana Tech, Idaho, & New Mexico State. For those schools it truely is limbo right now- for them- given the question of what their conference look like or if it will even exist next week. I know the feeling of limbo & uncertainty, thats why I am stoked about our opportunities now that we will be in the Big Sky. 2 months ago we were the ones that had alot of questions. Today we are the lucky ones. I'll take it.

Of those four, LaTech has to be the best off given their location in or near other conferences.

From the Honolulu Star-Advertiser

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/109277984.html

WAC is trying to hold on to Hawai'i, but it sounds like Hawaii has made up their minds... How long until La Tech leaves the WAC too? The WAC may have to go after Portland & Sacramento in desperation just to stay afloat.

TCU hopes for an invite to the Big 12 so they probably will stay put in the Mountain West until then and not go to the Big East. The MWC is getting bigger and swallowing the WAC. Since Montana turned the WAC down, it is making the Big Sky the #3 conference to the Pac 12 and the MWC in the west. The Sioux have found themselves in a very enviable position.

Its very doubtful that any team will move from FBS to FCS, even cellar dwellers, if for no other reason than the loss of revenue sharing. If Portland and/or Sacramento leave for the WAC, it would be an extremely long shot for Idaho to return to the Big Sky and an even longer shot for Utah State to move to BSC. Unfortunately, for NDSU, pride will probably stop the Bison from moving from the Summit/MVFC, since the Sioux went first, but they are probably the Big Sky's next best choice for an even number of teams unless only one of the Portland State/Sacramento State teams gets an invite and moves to the WAC.

From the Honolulu Star-Advertiser

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/breaking/109277984.html

WAC is trying to hold on to Hawai'i, but it sounds like Hawaii has made up their minds... How long until La Tech leaves the WAC too? The WAC may have to go after Portland & Sacramento in desperation just to stay afloat.

TCU hopes for an invite to the Big 12 so they probably will stay put in the Mountain West until then and not go to the Big East. The MWC is getting bigger and swallowing the WAC. Since Montana turned the WAC down, it is making the Big Sky the #3 conference to the Pac 12 and the MWC in the west. The Sioux have found themselves in a very enviable position.

Its very doubtful that any team will move from FBS to FCS, even cellar dwellers, if for no other reason than the loss of revenue sharing. If Portland and/or Sacramento leave for the WAC, it would be an extremely long shot for Idaho to return to the Big Sky and an even longer shot for Utah State to move to BSC. Unfortunately, for NDSU, pride will probably stop the Bison from moving from the Summit/MVFC, since the Sioux went first, but they are probably the Big Sky's next best choice for an even number of teams unless only one of the Portland State/Sacramento State teams gets an invite and moves to the WAC.

TCU would have a huge increase in revenue if the went to the Big East -- the MWC can't offer that. The Big 12 isn't going to add TCU unless Texas and Texas A&M leave - which may happen later. So TCU, being the conference jumper it is, will take the Big East offer. At least that will save the BCS from a 8-4 or 7-5 Big East team!

SDSU President: MWC ready to go to 12 teams and championship

If the MWC goes to 12 (losing TCU and maybe Air Force but adding Hawaii, as well as two of three of Houston/UTEP/SMU/Utah State), both CUSA and the WAC would be on the prowl. The WAC may really be desperate for Sac State and Portland St to move up.

TCU would have a huge increase in revenue if the went to the Big East -- the MWC can't offer that. The Big 12 isn't going to add TCU unless Texas and Texas A&M leave - which may happen later. So TCU, being the conference jumper it is, will take the Big East offer. At least that will save the BCS from a 8-4 or 7-5 Big East team!

SDSU President: MWC ready to go to 12 teams and championship

If the MWC goes to 12 (losing TCU and maybe Air Force but adding Hawaii, as well as two of three of Houston/UTEP/SMU/Utah State), both CUSA and the WAC would be on the prowl. The WAC may really be desperate for Sac State and Portland St to move up.

Yeah, Texas, especially with the year they are having this year, does not want any tough competition in the Big 12. I heard that the TCU coach said the Big East is not a good fit for TCU, not that the administrators will listen to the coach... so you are probably right.

After Hawaii, who in the WAC would the MWC go after? There's really no one left since Utah State already turned them down - bet they'd like a do-over on that one. WAC is starting to look like the Great West of FBS. Feeling bad for Idaho, the WAC is going southern and Montana/Montana State/Idaho State/E Washington/Weber State/North Dakota is such a great fit for the Vandals. I would guess they are really hoping for Portland & Sacramento to join the WAC to get some teams other than Utah State (if they don't get a second chance to go MWC) in their neck of the woods. But then, what am I saying, UND is in the same boat as Idaho and happy to be there.

Yeah, Texas, especially with the year they are having this year, does not want any tough competition in the Big 12. I heard that the TCU coach said the Big East is not a good fit for TCU, not that the administrators will listen to the coach... so you are probably right.

After Hawaii, who in the WAC would the MWC go after? There's really no one left since Utah State already turned them down - bet they'd like a do-over on that one. WAC is starting to look like the Great West of FBS. Feeling bad for Idaho, the WAC is going southern and Montana/Montana State/Idaho State/E Washington/Weber State/North Dakota is such a great fit for the Vandals. I would guess they are really hoping for Portland & Sacramento to join the WAC to get some teams other than Utah State (if they don't get a second chance to go MWC) in their neck of the woods. But then, what am I saying, UND is in the same boat as Idaho and happy to be there.

The MWC would go after Houston / SMU / UTEP / Utah State - Utah State would be last priority. Houston and SMU may have only limited interest.

The WAC possibly has two options: 1) go after Sac St and Portland St, or 2) make Idaho and SJSU football only (or FCS ) and go after certain Sunbelt teams - like North Texas and La-Lafayette - to create a true Southwestern Conference. If the MWC adds Houston/SMU/UTEP, CUSA teams like Tulsa and Rice may possilby not want to be part of CUSA anymore (doubtful, but possible) A new WAC of La Tech / UTSA / Texas St / NMSU / Utah St / La-La / UNT / Rice Tulsa could emerge. CUSA and the Sunbelt would then both have to scramble for new teams.

Idaho fans are actually coming to the conclusion that the Big Sky might be the only viable option: Idaho message board forum on dropping down to Big Sky. Adding Idaho and SJSU would make the Big Sky potentially as strong as the CAA in football.

The MWC would go after Houston / SMU / UTEP / Utah State - Utah State would be last priority. Houston and SMU may have only limited interest.

The WAC possibly has two options: 1) go after Sac St and Portland St, or 2) make Idaho and SJSU football only (or FCS ) and go after certain Sunbelt teams - like North Texas and La-Lafayette - to create a true Southwestern Conference. If the MWC adds Houston/SMU/UTEP, CUSA teams like Tulsa and Rice may possilby not want to be part of CUSA anymore (doubtful, but possible) A new WAC of La Tech / UTSA / Texas St / NMSU / Utah St / La-La / UNT / Rice Tulsa could emerge. CUSA and the Sunbelt would then both have to scramble for new teams.

Idaho fans are actually coming to the conclusion that the Big Sky might be the only viable option: Idaho message board forum on dropping down to Big Sky. Adding Idaho and SJSU would make the Big Sky potentially as strong as the CAA in football.

I think SJSU axes football before joining the Big Sky. Idaho could be a possibility, they are an FCS team competing in the FBS. A lot of these teams are going to struggle now that the WAC's revenue streams are dead or dieing.

I think SJSU axes football before joining the Big Sky. Idaho could be a possibility, they are an FCS team competing in the FBS. A lot of these teams are going to struggle now that the WAC's revenue streams are dead or dieing.

There's been some message board chatter about the WAC and Big Sky merging: would solve a lot of travel issues for Sac St / Portland St and even eventually Montana if those schools eventually become part of FBS. San Jose St and Idaho wouldn't have to travel to Texas except in football. The league could actually sponsor both FBS and FCS divisions. If a school wanted to move up to FBS, it wouldn't be nearly the travel hassle.

A merger probably never will happen, but in theory it gives multiple schools many options without the higher costs.

Wouldn't that just be horrible if Idaho were to go back to the Big Sky?? ;)

I know the odds are against it, but with the way the conference shuffles are going, who knows?