SiouxSports.com Forum

Penn State 'close" to adding hockey

star2city

If the Big 10 wants to form their own hockey conference, why couldn't the rest of the conferences say that "if you do it, we won't play you, but we'll give the two Alaska schools and Huntsville exceptions if they want to play you. When those three schools travel to your venue, you'll have to pay them a 'football-like' body bag fee."

With a 6 team conference, they'd have to play each other quite a few times to fill out their schedule. So, a team like Minnesota has to jump on an airplane for every series except Wisconsin. Right now, they bus to Mankato, St. Cloud, Duluth, Bemidji, Grand Forks and Wisconsin. So, if they wanted to fill out a non-conference schedule, each one of the Big Ten schools would have to travel up to Alaska twice each year and to Huntsville once in addition to flying to most of their conference games. I suppose Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame & Michigan State would be able to bus when then play each other, but Minnesota, Wisconsin & Penn State would have quite a bit of air travel.

Would the other conferences come together to shut the BTHC out of their schedules? It would be fun to see what would happen if they did. :)

So these are the rules for the men's side.

In addition to this....for Minnesota, Wisconsin & Ohio State, none of our women's teams will play you either. So, you three will have to play each other about 10 times to fill out your schedule. Or maybe you will just have to drop women's hockey all together. :D

In some ways, that strategy plays into the BTHC hands, as the BTHC could simply schedule six games against the other five teams, thus making a 30 game schedule for all and giving them a legitimate reason not to schedule others. If the BTHC was limited to 20 games (5 x 4), there would still be a large number of open dates.

If western hockey had four conferences instead of two, conference schedules could be limited to 20 games, with almost half the matches out of conference. For example, a Notre Dame/North Dakota league could have east/west division with 4 games with teams in division, and 2 outside the division, giving 20 games (3x4 + 4x2= 20) but minimizing travel. UND could then schedule all of UMinn, BSU, SCSU, UMD, MSU-M, UW, and still have a series with a Hockey East team. The biggest issue would be the loss of the Final Five - doubt any of the league could duplicate that.

In some ways, that strategy plays into the BTHC hands, as the BTHC could simply schedule six games against the other five teams, thus making a 30 game schedule for all and giving them a legitimate reason not to schedule others. If the BTHC was limited to 20 games (5 x 4), there would still be a large number of open dates.

If western hockey had four conferences instead of two, conference schedules could be limited to 20 games, with almost half the matches out of conference. For example, a Notre Dame/North Dakota league could have east/west division with 4 games with teams in division, and 2 outside the division, giving 20 games (3x4 + 4x2= 20) but minimizing travel. UND could then schedule all of UMinn, BSU, SCSU, UMD, MSU-M, UW, and still have a series with a Hockey East team. The biggest issue would be the loss of the Final Five - doubt any of the league could duplicate that.

OK....how about if the rest of the conferences tell them that no other teams will play them, not even the Alaska's or Huntsville? And that no women's teams will play them either, so Minnesota, Ohio State and Wisconsin will have their womens Big Ten but their women will just have to play with each other all year. :love: Well, now that I think about it, that might not be a good idea. They might fill their arena's for every game. Next thing you know, guys like Sicatoka, goon and others would be season ticket holders for Gopher Women's Hockey and signing up for the Big Ten Network Package ;)

OK....how about if the rest of the conferences tell them that no other teams will play them, not even the Alaska's or Huntsville? And that no women's teams will play them either, so Minnesota, Ohio State and Wisconsin will have their womens Big Ten but their women will just have to play with each other all year. :love: Well, now that I think about it, that might not be a good idea. They might fill their arena's for every game. Next thing you know, guys like Sicatoka, goon and others would be season ticket holders for Gopher Women's Hockey and signing up for the Big Ten Network Package ;)

Rick a good measure of how that would work is with UND and NDSU football...I would give it 2 or 3 years before fans started pushing for Gopher/Sioux games to resume. On one hand a Big 10 Hockey Conference would allow for growth (or at least room) in existing conferences...which is good for the sport. I would hope that if MN left the WCHA that our adminstration would work very hard to conitnue the rivalry with a long term home/home contract

UND is a big draw in both Minneapolis and Madison. St. Cloud and Minnesota are big rivals every year, regardless of record. Rivalries do not always correlate across sports and especially across sports seasons. And it doesn't seem to matter if some of the hockey schools are D-II or III in other sports (St. Cloud, Colorado College), the crowds keep coming anyway. Just because Michigan and Ohio State are big rivals in football does not mean it will work in hockey the same way. And I am willing to bet that UND-Minnesota is a much bigger draw than Ohio State-Minnesota. Big 10 hockey will inflict irreparable damage to hockey at those schools. A six team conference where one or two teams are good cannot match a twelve team conference (WCHA) where all but a handful of teams are good. And the Final Five cannot be matched by some cheesy Big 10 "Final Four" tournament where one or two of the teams might have losing records in conference or even overall.

I hope Sid "Grandpa Sports" Hartman gets his long-time wish for a BTHC, because I would love to see the look on his face when it is a disaster. And listening to him try to spin it would be even better!

Considering how much money Minnesota and Wisconsin hockey make off their current rivalries, I wonder if any extra TV money would compensate them for the lost gate of playing PSU, Ohio State, etc., instead of UND, St. Cloud, etc.

Considering that Minnesota hugely benefits from football TV revenues brought in by Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, etc, without adding much themselves, Minnesota won't be getting any sympathy from fellow Big Ten members.

UND is a big draw in both Minneapolis and Madison. St. Cloud and Minnesota are big rivals every year, regardless of record. Rivalries do not always correlate across sports and especially across sports seasons. And it doesn't seem to matter if some of the hockey schools are D-II or III in other sports (St. Cloud, Colorado College), the crowds keep coming anyway. Just because Michigan and Ohio State are big rivals in football does not mean it will work in hockey the same way. And I am willing to bet that UND-Minnesota is a much bigger draw than Ohio State-Minnesota. Big 10 hockey will inflict irreparable damage to hockey at those schools. A six team conference where one or two teams are good cannot match a twelve team conference (WCHA) where all but a handful of teams are good. And the Final Five cannot be matched by some cheesy Big 10 "Final Four" tournament where one or two of the teams might have losing records in conference or even overall.

I hope Sid "Grandpa Sports" Hartman gets his long-time wish for a BTHC, because I would love to see the look on his face when it is a disaster. And listening to him try to spin it would be even better!

Nebraska was a huge draw in Norman, Ames, Columbia, and Lawrence and had been for almost 100 years. The Big Ten certainly was "considerate" of those rivalries.

Considering how much money Minnesota and Wisconsin hockey make off their current rivalries, I wonder if any extra TV money would compensate them for the lost gate of playing PSU, Ohio State, etc., instead of UND, St. Cloud, etc.

i think the reality is that Minnesota, Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin are the attractive schools of the Big ten when it comes to hockey but PSU and OSU probably wouldn't draw as much as a game with SCSU, UMD, MIAMI U et al. It sounds more like a losing deal to me. Also, isn't s OSU the one that is doing all of the whining about not getting to play Minnesota and Wisconsin?

i think the reality is that Minnesota, Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin are the attractive schools of the Big ten when it comes to hockey but PSU and OSU probably wouldn't draw as much as a game with SCSU, UMD, MIAMI U et al. It sounds more like a losing deal to me. Also, isn't s OSU the one that is doing all of the whining about not getting to play Minnesota and Wisconsin?

Ohio State and Penn State pay much more in to the Big Ten through the Big Ten Network and other deals than Minnesota could ever conceive. OSU and PSU's argument will be all sports need to be brought into the Big Ten, for the system to truly be fair. Every other Big Ten school - even non-hockey schools will have a say - will force the issue.

I guess I don't see the humor of your comment, I have to admit that I have never been to a Woman's hockey game other than the Olympic game that was at the REA a few summers ago and I already have BTN on my cable dial.

He would do what administrators in his position always do: Follow the Benjamins.

Over time, the Benjamins disappear with a Big 10 Hockey conference. Places like Bemidji State, Northern Michigan, Lake Superior, UNO, etc. all dry up if they don't get regular season games versus the big name teams. Once those big name teams form their own conference, the little guys wither away and die, and with them goes college hockey. I've heard that Michigan knows this and has no interest in Big 10 hockey.

I could see the BTN trying to force a Big Ten hockey championship during the Final Five weekend before I could see them trying to play a full season. Lucia has been against the BTHC for a long time. If he can't keep his job long term, and Maturi hires Blasi, I think the BTHC would be formed at some point with or without Penn State.

If Lucia turns it around or Maturi hires Blais/Ward/some random "M" man, I'd bet the WCHA stays in place with the Gophers.

• 2 weeks later...

Lansing State Journal: Shakeup coming to college hockey

Throw in the Indiana rumor, and it really gets shaken up.

Depending on which hockey source you talk to, Penn State will have a varsity hockey team by 2014, and the Nittany Lions' presence could turn the college world as we know it upside down. Penn State has a sole donor ready to ante up $80 million for a 6,800-seat arena.

For sure there will be a six-team Big Tenleague at that point. What is unknown is what will happen to the CCHA and WCHA. The NCAA has restricted regular season schedules to 36 games and most believe that number will not increase.

Can Big Ten schools also play for other league titles? Michigan State, Michigan and Ohio Stateare in the CCHA could come in as the 12th member. Minnesota and Wisconsin are in the WCHA. So, are enough games available to determine two titles? No one knows at this point but many are convinced Penn State will add Division I hockey. I don't see how the CCHA can flourish without a Big Ten presence and what happens with Notre Dame? The school will soon complete a gorgeous 5,400-seat arena and needs quality teams to help fill it for home games. Would Notre Dame remain in a CCHA without a Big Ten presence? Stay tuned.

If the Big 10 wants to form their own hockey conference, why couldn't the rest of the conferences say that "if you do it, we won't play you, but we'll give the two Alaska schools and Huntsville exceptions if they want to play you. When those three schools travel to your venue, you'll have to pay them a 'football-like' body bag fee."

Because, first off, you can never in a million years get 50 instituations to agree on anything. More importantly, playing Big Ten teams gievs smaller schools recognition, brings excitement, and brings in money. In reality, the smaller schools would be falling over themselves trying to schedule Big Ten teams. That's just a fact I think can hardly be disputed.

I dont care if Penn State joins either way, doesnt really hurt us any. But the big ten hockey conference would kill the competition between conferences. Imagine having a conference with Michigan, Minnesota, Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Ohio State. Add in UND and we'd see the great rivalries locally start to disappear. It would leave UMD, BSU, St Cloud (possible us) out as a 2nd tier conference. It would become one super conference vs. hockey east.

I like the way we have it now, with basically equal opportunity across the CCHA, WCHA, and HE, each conference has its one rivalries that need to be kept in tact.

I dont care if Penn State joins either way, doesnt really hurt us any. But the big ten hockey conference would kill the competition between conferences. Imagine having a conference with Michigan, Minnesota, Notre Dame, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Ohio State. Add in UND and we'd see the great rivalries locally start to disappear. It would leave UMD, BSU, St Cloud (possible us) out as a 2nd tier conference. It would become one super conference vs. hockey east.

I like the way we have it now, with basically equal opportunity across the CCHA, WCHA, and HE, each conference has its one rivalries that need to be kept in tact.

Notre Dame has been asked numberous times about joining the Big Ten and they have said no. I think the Big Ten hockey conference would kill the CCHA, I think the WCHA would thrive. Also, I think if the big ten happened I think you would see a realignment of college hockey. Think about it this way, you put those teams in the same conference you're going to have every game as a head knocker, something would have to give. OSU is going to suck more than they do now if they are in the big ten conference. Penn State is going to have trouble competing with the likes of Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin and MSU.

Notre Dame has been asked numberous times about joining the Big Ten and they have said no. I think the Big Ten hockey conference would kill the CCHA, I think the WCHA would thrive. Also, I think if the big ten happened I think you would see a realignment of college hockey. Think about it this way, you put those teams in the same conference you're going to have every game as a head knocker, something would have to give. OSU is going to suck more than they do now if they are in the big ten conference. Penn State is going to have trouble competing with the likes of Minnesota, Michigan, Wisconsin and MSU.

The Big Ten Hockey Conference would hurt the WCHA fairly badly but you're right, it would kill the CCHA. In fact, they might as well drop the first C and reform the CHA from the ruins.

HEH. And STILL they'd probably reject UAH. :silly:

Purdue and Iowa will get their butts kicked. :lol:

Minnesota is the only school that really doesn't want the BTHC. But apparently it's gotten enough traction now that Minnesota can't stop it.

Maybe the geniuses rooting for the BTHC should ask whether or not they SHOULD make this move instead of CAN they make the move...Ultimately, this will hurt the smaller programs, especially in Minnesota...just my opinion though...

With a 6 team conference, they'd have to play each other quite a few times to fill out their schedule. So, a team like Minnesota has to jump on an airplane for every series except Wisconsin. Right now, they bus to Mankato, St. Cloud, Duluth, Bemidji, Grand Forks and Wisconsin. So, if they wanted to fill out a non-conference schedule, each one of the Big Ten schools would have to travel up to Alaska twice each year and to Huntsville once in addition to flying to most of their conference games. I suppose Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame & Michigan State would be able to bus when then play each other, but Minnesota, Wisconsin & Penn State would have quite a bit of air travel.

Would the other conferences come together to shut the BTHC out of their schedules? It would be fun to see what would happen if they did. :)

So these are the rules for the men's side.

In addition to this....for Minnesota, Wisconsin & Ohio State, none of our women's teams will play you either. So, you three will have to play each other about 10 times to fill out your schedule. Or maybe you will just have to drop women's hockey all together. :D

it won't work. Do you really think that UMD, St. Cloud, MSU, and BSU are going to boycott Minnesota, or that the other Michigan schools are going to boycott Michigan and MSU, or the Ohio schools are going to boycott Ohio State. Not a chance, for many reasons, not the two least are they are not all independent decision makers, and they need the money.