SiouxSports.com Forum

Bracketology

sprig

Moy needs to come up for some air. He's jumbled the pairings in the sake of attendance, something the NCAA does only rarely. Bracket the thing as it's designed: 1-16, 2-15 etc. There is no way 3 WCHA teams go to Madison.

i agree, thats all he cares about which was explained in that article on collegehockeynew.com they were directing it towards moy and they were right.

• Replies 828
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah good point, does anyone know if he has ever been accurate?

who knows, these ones dont matter for comparison sake but im sure you could dig up the final proections the night before selection sunday and compare those to the actual tourney brackets and then see.

^Suprisingly, I think Moy's been fairly accurate in his projections. But I think he's smokin' ditch weed lately. The NCAA isn't going to jack with the pairings that much.

Heck, the next thing he'll have teams moving 'cause their "away" sweaters will clash with the upholstery.

Anyone know if selectio sunday is gunna be on tv again on espn2? I wanna see big bob norton pick all east teams to win and an east goalie hobey baker again. Hes a better laugh then my boy coming home drunk.

im sure it will be, they get a half hour usually on that sunday in the afternoon. if not then espnu but i think its usually espn2

^Suprisingly, I think Moy's been fairly accurate in his projections. But I think he's smokin' ditch weed lately. The NCAA isn't going to jack with the pairings that much.

Heck, the next thing he'll have teams moving 'cause their "away" sweaters will clash with the upholstery.

I think your right mike I doubt we will see three WCHA teams and Miami in the same bracket.

I could see them not real happy with that bracket and then you have UND in another bracket of death with the opportunity to end the Badgers and the Gophers season. That I like.

Moy needs to come up for some air. He's jumbled the pairings in the sake of attendance, something the NCAA does only rarely. Bracket the thing as it's designed: 1-16, 2-15 etc. There is no way 3 WCHA teams go to Madison.

Madison is "right out of the box" - if you want 1-16, etc, that's what Moy picked (4 vs 13, 5 vs 12).

That said, I would be happy if The Committee screwed up those pairings so we don't get UW in Madison.

yeah good point, does anyone know if he has ever been accurate?

I kinda enjoy the "what-ifs" that Moy has been doing for the past several years. As far as accuracy goes, I believe he has correctly picked the bracket at least the last 2 years, and the year before that he had all the teams right, but a couple of teams were swapped that he didn't count on.

Doing Bracketology now really doesn't mean much. Things will change, and really stratify once the conference playoffs take place. And...of course with the potential conference tournament winners stealing some of the "at-large" spots from the bubble, that makes the final prediction a bit easier.

This weekend will help to sort things out...that's for sure.

I kinda enjoy the "what-ifs" that Moy has been doing for the past several years. As far as accuracy goes, I believe he has correctly picked the bracket at least the last 2 years, and the year before that he had all the teams right, but a couple of teams were swapped that he didn't count on.

Doing Bracketology now really doesn't mean much. Things will change, and really stratify once the conference playoffs take place. And...of course with the potential conference tournament winners stealing some of the "at-large" spots from the bubble, that makes the final prediction a bit easier.

This weekend will help to sort things out...that's for sure.

Adam Wodon at CHN has better "what-if's" than Moy.

http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2008...atournament.php

It's easy to look at the current PWR and create a hypothetical bracket. The items in question (Jason Moy's guess is as good as mine/yours) are how the committee will juggle the bracket to avoid 1st round conf match ups and how many 1st round WCHA match ups will be avoided by adjusting the natural bracket (1 v 16 etc)

Ok here is my question, if the goofs do not make it to the Final 5 will they still make the NCAA tourney? I think there is a reall chance that they get beat this weekend and therefore would not make it into the NCAA's.

If the Gophers lose this weekend their season will almost definitely be over.

If the Gophers lose this weekend their season will almost definitely be over.

Bucky, I hear that your team has adopted a new look for the playoffs but I am not sure if the Mavs will be intimidated or if they will die laughing. For unity sake did the Don adopt the same cut. :D

http://www.addamsfamily.com/addams/affest2.jpg

Bucky, I hear that your team has adopted a new look for the playoffs but I am not sure if the Mavs will be intimidated or if they will die laughing. For unity sake did the Don adopt the same cut. :D

http://www.addamsfamily.com/addams/affest2.jpg

Unless that's happening today or tomorrow I don't quite know what you're going for. Saw some of the guys yesterday, no bald head is all I'm saying...

That's correct. PWR, which is just the selection committee's selection criteria expressed as a formula, has always correctly predicted the exact field of teams (including predating USCHO).

USCHO's "bracketology" analysis of where teams might be placed, which unlike the PWR formula is subjective, has been dead-on the last two years but has been wrong in the past.

i think you are right, lose in 2 or 3 gamaes i think its over for umtc, must win series

For the Gophers:

Lose in two - out. Gophers RPI would drop and allow a couple teams to pass them and take comparisons.

Lose in three or win in three - still on bubble. Gophers RPI would take a smaller hit. BU/UW could easily pass them with series wins.

Win in two. - Closer to locking in, but still many ways to miss tourney.

For the Gophers:

Lose in two - out. Gophers RPI would drop and allow a couple teams to pass them and take comparisons.

Lose in three or win in three - still on bubble. Gophers RPI would take a smaller hit. BU/UW could easily pass them with series wins.

Win in two. - Closer to locking in, but still many ways to miss tourney.

Lose in 3 I think we still are out. Win in two is a lock in my mind.

Lose in 3 I think we still are out. Win in two is a lock in my mind.

i think sagard may be going off actual pairwise numbers so a bit more accurate from my basic guessing and like he said its about who else wins or loses and when

Gosh I get sick and tired of reading about the Goofies and their so-called "chances," and who they are, where they have been, and when and where they might be going, on this board. I understand that this is a Bracketology thread, so it is certainly a legitimate discussion. Nonetheless, I get tired of certain folks getting their strokes over the Goofs' pretended chances over here instead of over in their own clubhouse. Sagard, WPoS, and Cardinal excepted in that they do bring a degree of civility and understanding to this board, unlike many of their brethren. E.g. Bucky, Rex, 'pherz, and assorted other numbskulls.

The Goofers have proven nearly all year that they are without leadership, without direction, and without heart. They have been, and will simply continue to be, utter non-factors this college hockey season. The only reason that they are as high as they are right now, and on the bubble as a result, is because they are a WCHA team that has played, albeit rather with mediocrity, a WCHA schedule.

While the Goofers have had wild historical success against the Mavericks, that will be righting itself this weekend. Here is saying that the Mavericks absolutely kill the Gophers in two straight.

Just in time for the golden boys to get jobs riding the corn planters down in southern Minnesota in a few more weeks . . . .

Tigers. Sioux. Bulldogs. Mavericks. Huskies. It's gonna be a great Final Five, and an even better NCAA.

...While the Goofers have had wild historical success against the Mavericks, that will be righting itself this weekend. Here is saying that the Mavericks absolutely kill the Gophers in two straight...

The Mavs undoing vs. the Gophers when the teams are relatively equal has always been the goaltending. If the Mavs can't figure out a way to beat this Gopher team this weekend I really don't know if they ever will. I'm sure the Final Five will be fun, but it will be a lot more fun if the Gophers and SCSU are kicking it off Thursday! :D

The Mavs undoing vs. the Gophers when the teams are relatively equal has always been the goaltending. If the Mavs can't figure out a way to beat this Gopher team this weekend I really don't know if they ever will. I'm sure the Final Five will be fun, but it will be a lot more fun if the Gophers and SCSU are kicking it off Thursday! :D

With all due respect, sagard, I'll be wearing the biggest grin inside the Xcel Energy Center next Thursday night when Minnesota State and Wisconsin kick off the Final Five. :D

With all due respect, sagard, I'll be wearing the biggest grin inside the Xcel Energy Center next Thursday night when Minnesota State and Wisconsin kick off the Final Five. :D

You want to be on the side of psycho and Jutting more power to you! :D

You want to be on the side of psycho and Jutting more power to you! :D

Actually, I'm all in favor of increased revenue because Gopher fans at the X will be pounding down twice as many beers as usual if their team is at home. The way I see it, it's time for Minnesota to pay back all those years of playing Friday night games despite not being the #1 seed. :D Besides, I don't want to see the team mohawks.

Someone cue Ogre: Nerrrrrrdddddssss!