SiouxSports.com Forum

Bracketology

sprig

Not scared of you, but never want to play a big rival when all the chips are down. :D

I'm not scared of any team, no one holds a winning record against us...we'd have to get swept by UMD or SCSU or lose to CC or Wisconsin in the Final Five for anyone to have a winning record against us going into the NCAAs.

CC 1-1-0 .500

Denver 3-1-0 .750

Mankato 2-0-0 1.000

Minnesota 2-1-1 .6250

Michigan Tech 3-1-0 .750

Alaska Anchorage 2-0-0 1.000

Wisconsin 1-1-0 .500

SCSU 1-1-0 .500

UMD 1-1-0 .500

Michigan State 1-0-0 1.000

BC 0-0-1 .500

Northeastern 1-0-0 1.000

New Hampshire 1-1-0 .500

Bemidji State 1-0-0 1.000

• Replies 828
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you are scared of us :D

Its amazing that a team like Princeton can have that large of an effect on that many teams pairwise number.

Very interesting 4 weeks of hockey coming up! I feel sorry for the bastards that don't get college hockey, I am a big college hoops guy and the weeks up to selection sunday don't hold a candle to NCAA hockey!

would love for the gophs to come to grand forks. would be great. it sure is a cluster and will be fun to see how it plays out

the wcha will end up with 5 teams in i believe. with the wcha playoffs, 2 teams are more likely to get knocked off that bubble. if they lose their best 2 of 3 series they are done with no final 5 games to jump up higher. will be fun

Here is my guess for a bracket.(Conference Champ)

Colorado Springs

4)Bemidji St (CHA) vs. 1) Colorado College

3)St. Cloud St. vs. 2)Miami

Madison

4)Wisconsin vs. 1) Michigan (CCHA)

3)Minnesota vs. 2) Michigan St.

Worchester

4)Notre Dame vs 1) New Hampshire (HEA)

3)Minn.- Duluth vs. 2) Boston College

Albany

4) Army (AHA) vs 1) UND (WCHA)

3)Clarkson (ECAC) vs. 2) Denver

The only games I could see moving regions are the Clarkson/ Denver switching with St. Cloud/Miami

Attendance:

Colorado Springs: would be better if Denver were there but it shouldn't be a problem while CC is there

Madison: Should be sold out for every game no question with four Big 10 teams and a host institution

Worchester: Great with BC and UNH being close and ND travels descent

Albany: Should be pretty good with 2 local teams there in Army and Clarkson

Here is my guess for a bracket.(Conference Champ)

Colorado Springs

4)Bemidji St (CHA) vs. 1) Colorado College

3)St. Cloud St. vs. 2)Miami

Madison

4)Wisconsin vs. 1) Michigan (CCHA)

3)Minnesota vs. 2) Michigan St.

Worchester

4)Notre Dame vs 1) New Hampshire (HEA)

3)Minn.- Duluth vs. 2) Boston College

Albany

4) Army (AHA) vs 1) UND (WCHA)

3)Clarkson (ECAC) vs. 2) Denver

The only games I could see moving regions are the Clarkson/ Denver switching with St. Cloud/Miami

Attendance:

Colorado Springs: would be better if Denver were there but it shouldn't be a problem while CC is there

Madison: Should be sold out for every game no question with four Big 10 teams and a host institution

Worchester: Great with BC and UNH being close and ND travels descent

Albany: Should be pretty good with 2 local teams there in Army and Clarkson

mankato is in as of now for sure with their pwr. minny and sconnie wouldnt be in as they would be 15 and 16, those 2 spots are the smaller conference auto bids. so i would have for the wcha

und-cc 1 seeds

du - 2 seed

msu-scsu - 3 seeds

umd - 4 seed

uw and um are out wit the current pwr with notre dame in in my book

http://siouxsports.com/hockey/rankings/pwr/

Are you comparing a win by the #2 seed Ferris State over the # 3 seed UND with #4 seed Holy Cross over #1 seed Minnesota? Just curious if that is the direction you are trying to take this?

Not at all, I was just attempting to add to the point that you never really know what to expect come playoff time. Probably a bad analogy, but I was trying to play off the style of HG's post, which can only be done with a name like Holy Cross, Michigan State, Oral Roberts, etc.

Not at all, I was just attempting to add to the point that you never really know what to expect come playoff time. Probably a bad analogy, but I was trying to play off the style of HG's post, which can only be done with a name like Holy Cross, Michigan State, Oral Roberts, etc.

Just have heard too many Gopher fans try and equate the 2. :lol:

And don't get me wrong, every Sioux fan and probably a few others expected the Sioux to win that game, but 80 shots, 46 on goal and 6 off the pipes and we lost. :D

In the latest Pairwise, Wisconsin and Minnesota are tied for the 14th spot. Since they split the regular season series, what breaks the tie? Is it RPI?

Yes ... and no.

Teams are then ranked by PWR point total, with ties broken by looking at the Rating Percentage Index (RPI). Note: this tiebreaking procedure is used solely for convenience in displaying the PWR, and will not necessarily match the committee's process. This is especially true near the end of the top 16, where the committee looks more closely at head-to-head comparisons when selecting the last few teams.

PWR Explaination

The WCHA schools are once again a cluster for the NCAA's.

Here is the current PWR situation:

1 Mich 24

2 UNH 23

3 CC 22

4 UND 21

5 Miami 20

6 DU 19

7 MSU 16

8 BC 16

9 MSU-M 16

10 SCSU 15

11 Clark 14

12 Prince 12

13 UMD 11

14 ND 10

-------------

15 Wisc 10

16 MN 10

So, UND is currently back as a #1 seed...and if the season ended tonight there would be 6 WCHA schools in the NCAA's. But...according to some posters on USCHO, when Princeton (#12) plays Clarkson, they will reach the "10 games against TUC" mark, which will lose them a bunch of comparisons regardless of if they win or lose.

That would change the PWR to this:

1 Mich 24

2 UNH 23

3 CC 22

4 UND 21

5 Miami 20

6 DU 19

7 MSU 16

8 BC 16

9 MSU-M 16

10 SCSU 14

11 Wisc 12

12 Clark 12

13 UMD 12

14 Minn 11

-------------

15 ND 10

16 Prince 9

Yes. You are seeing that correctly. That is 8 (!!!) WCHA schools in the NCAA's, barring any tournament upsets. Wow. Alot can, and will, change, but that is just crazy at this point in the season.

Personally, I would rather see UW and UMN both miss the NCAA's, but that's just me. :blush:

After Sunday's game does the Princeton/Clarkson game still have the same importance? And will that be enough to move both Wisco and the goofers up?

Another thing to consider is that when Miami plays another TUC they will get the nod over us for the 4th Number 1 seed. Right now neither teams gets a point in the comparison because Miami has only played 9 TUCs. The next one they play win or lose gives them the comparison over us.

So we need to continue to win to get a Number 1 seed. We need to win 3 of our last 4 regualr season games, sweep the first round of the playoffs, and win at least one game at the Final Five. If we do that and CC does that we'll both be Number 1 seeds.

So we need to continue to win to get a Number 1 seed. We need to win 3 of our last 4 regualr season games, sweep the first round of the playoffs, and win at least one game at the Final Five. If we do that and CC does that we'll both be Number 1 seeds.

Jeebus......that should be easy. :blush:

Whether we're a one-seed or a two-seed, we still have to win two tough games. I don't think another loss sometime before the NCAA's would be such a bad thing. It'd be something to get the team refocused and to stay on-track and keep their motivation levels at their peak.

That's assuming status quo for lots of other things. For example, Miami has 2 TUC wins vs. Vermont, who wasn't even a TUC until the end of this 4-game winning a streak vs. Merrimack and Mass.-Lowell. A similar losing streak vs. Maine and New Hampshire would knock them right back out of consideration, knocking two TUCs back off Miami.

Whether we're a one-seed or a two-seed, we still have to win two tough games. I don't think another loss sometime before the NCAA's would be such a bad thing. It'd be something to get the team refocused and to stay on-track and keep their motivation levels at their peak.

I have never agreed with having to lose as being a good thing. if it happens it happens and thats fine. when you have a 13 game unbeaten streak the team is already focused and it shows. if it was earlier in the year then maybe but we only have a month and a half left of hockey with one goal in mind for this team. the very well could lose 1 or 2 more times and if they do it may be in the final 5 as i see them determined to win out vs duluth and scsu. i for sure hear ya but at this point they are focused and it is showing! go sioux

That's assuming status quo for lots of other things. For example, Miami has 2 TUC wins vs. Vermont, who wasn't even a TUC until the end of this 4-game winning a streak vs. Merrimack and Mass.-Lowell. A similar losing streak vs. Maine and New Hampshire would knock them right back out of consideration, knocking two TUCs back off Miami.

And their next chance to play a TUC would be at CCHA tourny, probably Mich State. They play Ohio State and then probably Lake S St., 2 non-TUC's

I have never agreed with having to lose as being a good thing. if it happens it happens and thats fine. when you have a 13 game unbeaten streak the team is already focused and it shows. if it was earlier in the year then maybe but we only have a month and a half left of hockey with one goal in mind for this team. the very well could lose 1 or 2 more times and if they do it may be in the final 5 as i see them determined to win out vs duluth and scsu. i for sure hear ya but at this point they are focused and it is showing! go sioux

I don't think losing is ever a good thing and I think UND has put together an impressive string.

Their last 4 games are going to be tough, but the Sioux can do it. If they lost so be it, but I doubt Hak is playing to lose.