SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs MICHIGAN TECH

AZSIOUX

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah well you would think they would be able to based on the opponents in the next 6 games....but who knows what will happen....hell we could go 3-3

That is possible I think the Sioux need to string some wins together and get hot, I think they are close to doing this.

Personally, I'm hoping for a repeat of last year's MTU @ UND series. ;) We sweep you guys and then you guys go on to win almost all of your remaining games this season. Doesn't that sound like a good deal? Does to me! I think the Sioux team and fans owe a lot to Michigan Tech for last season... although, we should've beaten you guys a little worse so maybe you guys could've beat BC, since they couldn't get the freakin' job done against stupid MSU...

I can definitely see a split happening though. Usually, Tech doesn't like winning on Saturdays, so they normally don't... but we'll see how it goes, I guess. I can only hope that your GFH writer says something really mean about Michigan Tech again... so Coach Russell can highlight it, clip it out of the newspaper and hang it in the locker room.

luapsided: I'll be back again this year with my signs, so if you still feel the need to slap me, I'll be in the same place. You're more than welcome to. :D

Looking forward to this series, for sure. With each series getting nearer to the end of the season, the importance gets higher and higher... So this is definitely a big series for both teams. I hope you guys lose though... and HARD! We need it more than you do! ;)

Personally, I'm hoping for a repeat of last year's MTU @ UND series. ;) We sweep you guys and then you guys go on to win almost all of your remaining games this season. Doesn't that sound like a good deal? Does to me! I think the Sioux team and fans owe a lot to Michigan Tech for last season... although, we should've beaten you guys a little worse so maybe you guys could've beat BC, since they couldn't get the freakin' job done against stupid MSU...

I can definitely see a split happening though. Usually, Tech doesn't like winning on Saturdays, so they normally don't... but we'll see how it goes, I guess. I can only hope that your GFH writer says something really mean about Michigan Tech again... so Coach Russell can highlight it, clip it out of the newspaper and hang it in the locker room.

luapsided: I'll be back again this year with my signs, so if you still feel the need to slap me, I'll be in the same place. You're more than welcome to. :D

Looking forward to this series, for sure. With each series getting nearer to the end of the season, the importance gets higher and higher... So this is definitely a big series for both teams. I hope you guys lose though... and HARD! We need it more than you do! ;)

Ummmm yeah ok....you sound like a mean girl.

Looking at the rest of this week's WCHA matchups and standings, this is the week, if it is going to happen, that a sweep is needed. 4 points this weekend would solidify our spot at #3 with more potenital wins coming in the next few weeks. UND needs to get 5 of 6 wins in this next 3 week stretch.

I thought after the SCSU game on Saturday that the Sioux have turned the corner and will get hot during the stretch run. I see a sweep at home against MTU and then heading down to Mankato we continue with great hockey sweeping them. Returning home the following weekend against Alaska should have us 6-0 by the time they head to the Twin Cities. I know we should look one series at a time but after attending games this past weekend I'm pretty excited and fired up. My voice just returned this morning after screaming my lungs out this weekend.

If there is a team we should POUND just for the Fun of it - it is tech (after last year)

we will see if the guys have any killer instincts (or memory) this weekend :D

I like your optimism but here are a few points:

1. The Sioux have yet to sweep a two game series against the same opponent. The closest they've got was a win and tie against different opponents (BC/Northeastern).

2. MTU isn't a joke anymore. They may not have as much depth as we do on paper, but they have dynamic goaltending and good defense. They seem to be able to capitalize on mistakes fairly consistently. MSU,M and UAA are teams we should pound. MTU, on the other hand, I'd just like to beat.

MEg- You're asking to be slapped? ;) Too bad I most likely won't be there this weekend. I'd love to see the aftermath. ;)

I also feel that this team might've turned a corner this weekend. I like the line combos. I thought we rolled four productive lines.

Power play still needs a lot of work. Special teams will be crucial come playoff time.

Still really disappointed in the penalty calling. Some of it is diving (Roe) some of it is reputation, but there is no way that a WCHA conference series should ever end with one team having 5 power play chances and the other team having 13. One of the powerplays was at the very end of Friday's game, so I guess we can call it 12 chances.

5 vs 12. I'll accept 5 vs 6, I'll even accept 5 vs 7, but 5 vs 12. We are not that dirty, and St CLown is far from clean.

Let them decide it on the ice 5 on 5.

Power plays should only be called when its a definite penalty that disrupts a scoring opportunity or could hurt someone, or is just blatently cheap. The league should be made aware of this. The video of Roe "doh se dohing" Kaip and then falling down to make it appear as though Kaiper were holding him in order to draw a penalty should be sent to every official in the league.

I don't disagree - They took it to us last year

I remember how down / bad I felt after the series last year

Odds are, it will be tough to come back like that every year but then again odds are they can & will do it

man after entering AZ's contest, CC sure has a easy schedule the rest of the way NO way anyone gives em a race for the WCHA

we could use a season like that

I like your optimism but here are a few points:

1. The Sioux have yet to sweep a two game series against the same opponent. The closest they've got was a win and tie against different opponents (BC/Northeastern).

2. MTU isn't a joke anymore. They may not have as much depth as we do on paper, but they have dynamic goaltending and good defense. They seem to be able to capitalize on mistakes fairly consistently. MSU,M and UAA are teams we should pound. MTU, on the other hand, I'd just like to beat.

MEg- You're asking to be slapped? ;) Too bad I most likely won't be there this weekend. I'd love to see the aftermath. ;)

Agree with your points, but at some point, if this is the team that we all think they are and can be, they need to start sweeping lesser opponents--especially at home! These splits are doing nothing but dropping us in the pairwise. Home ice with a 3rd seed to avoid the play in game at the final 5 is what they need to concentrate on now.

I'm not that familiar with Tech to say much about them. I will say after attending Saturday's game that the Sioux need to play smarter in their own end. They must eliminate some of the poor decisions with the puck, or failed attempts to clear the puck. SCSU made several of those mistakes into scoring opportunities and either just missed or Phil bailed out the team. That won't continue to happen if the Sioux aren't careful.

Other than that, I liked what I saw on the ice Saturday.

Yes, because gasboy and a couple other friends and I are coming up for the games. Our record hasn't been stellar for the last several years:

2 ties against CC

Loss and tie against AA

Win and Tie against Duluth

Win and Tie against Mankato

I guess we will just have security on the lookout for you guys. I heard from my aunt that the Milbank clan was coming up, and wondered if you were too.

I'm not that familiar with Tech to say much about them. I will say after attending Saturday's game that the Sioux need to play smarter in their own end. They must eliminate some of the poor decisions with the puck, or failed attempts to clear the puck. SCSU made several of those mistakes into scoring opportunities and either just missed or Phil bailed out the team. That won't continue to happen if the Sioux aren't careful.

Other than that, I liked what I saw on the ice Saturday.

We went to the games in Houghton, and the Sioux are definitely the better of the two teams. Teslak stole the Friday night game for them. The guys had their chances but the puck just bounced his way. If he is hurt and Nolan plays both games, that is good for the Sioux.

polls, schmolls for ya'll :D

we are 9th in INCH power rankings just dropping a spot and tied for 8th in USCHO poll with UNH as we were 8th last week

mich tech isnt in the INCH rankings top 20 and is 18th in USCHO poll

USCHO

INCH

9 of 10 wcha teams are in top 20 of USCHO, 6 of them in bottom 7 spots though hanging in... UAA only wcha team not in

I agree about Nolan. Teslak is definitely the better of the two goalies for MTU.

If Nolan has to start both games, that is only an advantage for the Sioux.

Ok... so if Sioux fans can say that after one 6-2 beating of the lame WCHA Huskies that it's a turning point in their season, I can probably say that after FOUR games, the real Robby Nolan is back.

In the last four games, Robby has a save% of .959. And... if you're so excited to see him in net this weekend, take a stroll back down memory lane and try to recall who was in net for both games at UND last year. ;)

Personally, I'd probably be alright with either of my goaltenders taking on the job this weekend. As of this morning, Coach Russell still isn't sure who will be in net this weekend or if it will be split. It's still a little too early to know about the status of MLT.

Brianvf: You better be there this weekend... :D

Is that a hint of indirect negativity? "there's too much negativity on the boards"

Sioux split, same way as always.

No not all, I am not by nature a negative person. I am able to see the silver lining. Negative people are

a drain. Also, I have a short attention span and I can't remember what I was being mad or negative about

for very long. I just think even a win and a tie would be fine as well.. UND needs points.

In the last four games, Robby has a save% of .959. And... if you're so excited to see him in net this weekend, take a stroll back down memory lane and try to recall who was in net for both games at UND last year. ;)

Now we are clowding the issue with fact. ;) I remember that series like a bad dream. :D

Hopefully UND has long memories and can take back their arena. Last thing we need is another team calling the REA ______arena west.

Ok... so if Sioux fans can say that after one 6-2 beating of the lame WCHA Huskies that it's a turning point in their season, I can probably say that after FOUR games, the real Robby Nolan is back.

Brianvf: You better be there this weekend... :D

Don't worry, I wasn't ripping on Nolan at all. I just think that from what I've seen (limited viewing of course) that Teslak is the better of the two.

And it probably doesn't matter who is in net for MTU. The Sioux sometimes have a habit of making a goalie look very good by shooting it directly into his chest, while other nights making him look foolish and hanging 5 or 6 goals on him.

As I said on USCHO, I unfortunately won't be at the games this weekend. I am planning to attend the MSUM away series next weekend, and couldn't swing the time off from work to go to the MTU series as well. My apologies, MEggie. ;)