SiouxSports.com Forum

new coach?

UND92,96

As far as I'm concerned, before UND hires Mussman or anyone else with ties to the program, they have to look at outside options. NDSU's success since the D-IAA move has been a result of hiring an outsider with recruiting contacts outside of ND and MN. While I hope UND continues to recruit in the area, it also needs to realize that to be successful, it has to have a recruiting presence outside of the region.

The two best Bison players from last year's team were both from Illinois, the kind of players I don't think the current crop of Sioux coaches can land. As much as I respected Dale Lennon, I saw this as a concern before I knew he was leaving, and feel that UND has to at least consider other options at this point.

To give credit where credit is due, those two players were recruited by Babich not by Bohl. So for your above analysis to be true you'd have to consider Bob Babich an outsider with established recruiting contacts outside the traditional recruiting area. Given he'd been at NDSU a number of years prior to signing these players and none of his previous recruiting classes had IL players, I'd say your theory doesn't hold much water.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as I'm concerned, before UND hires Mussman or anyone else with ties to the program, they have to look at outside options. NDSU's success since the D-IAA move has been a result of hiring an outsider with recruiting contacts outside of ND and MN. While I hope UND continues to recruit in the area, it also needs to realize that to be successful, it has to have a recruiting presence outside of the region.

The two best Bison players from last year's team were both from Illinois, the kind of players I don't think the current crop of Sioux coaches can land. As much as I respected Dale Lennon, I saw this as a concern before I knew he was leaving, and feel that UND has to at least consider other options at this point.

UND wasn't recruiting the Chicago or Illinois area and was not D1AA. That would be more of a deterrent to recruiting the area than the coaches. NDSU's success started when they made a committment to success in the early 1960's with Mudra. That allows Bohl, Hager, Morton, Earhardt and the others to be successful. It sure as heck isn't because they hired a coach with no ties to NDSU. You need to hire the best person for the program. If that is someone of the staff or hiring from within is best for the program then the hire should be done ASAP. I would want to know who else is interested in the job, and the AD (if we had one) should be making contacts to prospective coaches similar to what SIU did with Dale Lennon. I will bet a lot of money Dale and his new staff will have no trouble recruiting the Illinois area.

What NDSU did and does, is of only passing interest.

UND wasn't recruiting the Chicago or Illinois area and was not D1AA. That would be more of a deterrent to recruiting the area than the coaches. NDSU's success started when they made a committment to success in the early 1960's with Mudra. That allows Bohl, Hager, Morton, Earhardt and the others to be successful. It sure as heck isn't because they hired a coach with no ties to NDSU. You need to hire the best person for the program. If that is someone of the staff or hiring from within is best for the program then the hire should be done ASAP. I would want to know who else is interested in the job, and the AD (if we had one) should be making contacts to prospective coaches similar to what SIU did with Dale Lennon. I will bet a lot of money Dale and his new staff will have no trouble recruiting the Illinois area.

What NDSU did and does, is of only passing interest.

They shouldn't have trouble it's their backyard. The number of recruits within a 250 mile radius of SIU is more than ND,SD, MN, IA together.

UND names Chris Mussman new head football coach

UND will name Chris Mussman as its new head football coach this afternoon. The 39-year-old Mussman Mussman has been an assistant coach for 17 years. He was UND's offensive coordinator the past seven years, and also assistant head coach for the past four years.

Now that that is done, let's get things rolling.

Go Sioux!!!