SiouxSports.com Forum

Doug Woog

Prpichrocks_19

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you pay any attention at all to the five minute discussion on Saturday night between Frank and Doug regarding the Sioux nickname? Doug and Frank were very complimentary of the nickname and logo and offered some insightful thoughts. Yea, they're homers and yes, Frank is blinded by his maroon goggles, but they do offer some good points sometimes.

They are always good for some laughs. I don't see how people get annoyed because even when they are being homers (like after JPL's kick), you have to laugh. Frank constantly saying he wasn't drunk and Woog comparing Finley to his Christmas tree was great.

Did you pay any attention at all to the five minute discussion on Saturday night between Frank and Doug regarding the Sioux nickname? Doug and Frank were very complimentary of the nickname and logo and offered some insightful thoughts. Yea, they're homers and yes, Frank is blinded by his maroon goggles, but they do offer some good points sometimes.

What period was that in?

They are always good for some laughs. I don't see how people get annoyed because even when they are being homers (like after JPL's kick), you have to laugh. Frank constantly saying he wasn't drunk and Woog comparing Finley to his Christmas tree was great.

The kick was very minor, I thoght at first they were talking about something simular to the Westrum incident, it wasn't even close the part that kills me is before they went to the break Frank goes I hear from the trailer that there was a kick, we see that when we return.

I like Wooger. He's a Gopher, and I know that. He has given the Sioux a lot of credit the past few years, and I appreciate that. I can listen to him. Dubay and Mozako, not so much.

I was thinking the same thing, Wooger has always been pretty good to the Sioux I thought.

I wish I could have heard his rant on Finley being compared to his Christmas tree. :glare:

What period was that in?

I'm trying to remember, but can't...I was entertaining my six year old, too, so didn't really keep track of time. During the discussion, they cut to commercial and when they came back, Frank followed up on a thought he had before the break (something he usually forgets about by the time FSN gets back to live feed). They basically stated that out of all the Sioux logos, they feel this is the one handled the most delicately and with utmost respect. They further discussed that there hopefully will be some positive discussions with Indian tribes which will allow UND to continue use of the nickname.

FSN also listed UND along with St Cloud and Minnesota as "best jersey crest" in their text-in competition. A more PC network might have left the Sioux logo off entirely.

I think Woog does a fair job of calling the play like it is. He rips the Gopher play went it is bad (note Peltier) and praises the opponents when they deserver it. He's most interested in pointing out smart and dumb plays on either side then promoting a team.

Now, the Wisco guy Saags on the other hand....

I think Woog does a fair job of calling the play like it is. He rips the Gopher play went it is bad (note Peltier) and praises the opponents when they deserver it. He's most interested in pointing out smart and dumb plays on either side then promoting a team.

I tend to like Wooger's analysis, and his comments about players, etc. Even his "homer" comments are pretty funny, and he knows the college game well enough to dissect good and bad players. Much better than the douche-nozzles ESPN trots out in the spring. :glare:

I tend to like Wooger's analysis, and his comments about players, etc. Even his "homer" comments are pretty funny, and he knows the college game well enough to dissect good and bad players. Much better than the douche-nozzles ESPN trots out in the spring. :glare:

I'll second that. :ohmy:

I'm already documented as a Woog fan, but thought I'd add in here.

Sure, he's a homer but it's a Gopher broadcast so that comes with the territory. He does call it like he sees it, for either team, and he's plenty hard on the Gophers. I also appreciate his knowledge as he describes something that just happened.

Besides all that, he's plain entertaining.

Sure, he's a homer but it's a Gopher broadcast so that comes with the territory. He does call it like he sees it, for either team, and he's plenty hard on the Gophers. I also appreciate his knowledge as he describes something that just happened.

The continuous mumbling of trying to get something out, which he can't quite find the words for, is hilarious. Yeah, may be the booze doing the talking (or the lack of), but it is amusing. You come to expect the things you hear from Mazacco and Woog. It's like TH being a Sioux homer. And yes Goon, Wooger is so much better than Norton, though they both have similar mumbling characteristics at times!

Count me in as well. Woog's the best color man in college hockey, bar none.