SiouxSports.com Forum

One more reason to hate NDSU

cjsol

This is great evidence towards the hypothesis that I've put out in the D-IAA fourm: a lot of Bison fans jealously watch UND hockey results each year hoping UND fails, lest the Sioux receive yet again the national recognition in athletics that NDSU athletics has never received.

I agree. In hockey alone, I believe UND has been on national TV (ESPN or ESPN2) six times since 1997. Add to that four times for womens basketball and once for football during that same time period. Being on national TV 11 times in six years is unheard of for a predominantly division II school (and the Sioux went 9-2 in those games, incidentally :huh: ). NDSU will likely never receive the sort of national recognition that UND has gotten and probably will continue to get, unless you feel having scores on the ESPN News ticker constitutes national recognition.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So that's the difference. UND lost another top defenseman and MN lost Hauser. Basically a wash, objectively.

Roche vs. Hauser a wash...not even, I would much rather have Travis than Hauser any day, objectively. The others though I agree are a wash

I know one NDSU student who knows something about hockey. That's it....NDSUCKS needs to put more emphasis on how the helll their going to compete at the division 1 FOOTBALL level, instead of worrying about how the Sioux's HOCKEY season went. Their own coach didn't wasnt to stick around for next year, he was so embarrased. My hatred for the Bison runs extrememly deep and I will NEVER cheer for them EVER.

Bison, Bison, Bison.....SUCK $H!T

Truthfully, I don't care about hockey....it is a second tier sport kind of like Women's Lacross....As for me....I am more into D1 Football and Basketball. :huh:

If you don't care about hockey...get off the hockey board!!!

We welcome opinions from people who know about the game of hockey, i.e., the Gopher fans, if you have nothing intelligent to say....please don't post (Don't bring up siouxrock, we know he does the same thing).

Truthfully, I don't care about hockey....it is a second tier sport kind of like Women's Lacross....

Coming to a hockey forum to make a post that says nothing other than you don't care about hockey is a ridiculous waste of the time of everyone here. Talk hockey or leave this forum.

flatspin7 Posted on Apr 3 2003, 12:11 PM

well you guys don't have a women's lacrosse team either.

We don't have a ski team either, but we root for the USA in the olympics. Rooting for the Minnesota Gophers is fine with me.

MinnesotaNorthStar Posted on Apr 3 2003, 12:08 PM

Bison, Bison, Bison.....SUCK $H!T

Are these the same UND fans that were complaining about the Bison fans shouting the same thing about UND. Sicatoka, you remember the thread.

Must be all the tension from the site being down yesterday. Sounds like you guys could use a Smack thread.

Truthfully, I don't care about hockey....it is a second tier sport kind of like Women's Lacross....As for me....I am more into D1 Football and Basketball. :huh:

And truthfully, I doubt anyone on this site cares what you do or don't care about. Here's a piece of advice for you--if you don't like hockey, and your primary interests are division I football and basketball, then it probably makes very little sense for you to be at this site, let alone this particular thread. Things must be pretty boring in Wyoming, huh?

WYOBISONMAN--Then what are you doing on this board other than stirring up trouble? I consider Division 1AA football and BB akin to Arena football. Not quite good enough for the big time, and nobody cares about it.

NDSU aka "the high school with ashtrays" would not know about D1 sports because it has never competed at the level. The Sioux really thought that NDSU would move to D3 since it could not compete at D2 even when it was recruiting criminals. Many UND football players considered playing at NDSU but were ineligible because they had no criminal records and they had too high of grades. I'm sure that your degree from NDSU served you well---what pizza chain do you deliver pizzas for?

Next time, please do not take the whole bottle of stupid pills before posting. :huh:

WYOBISONMAN--Then what are you doing on this board other than stirring up trouble? I consider Division 1AA football and BB akin to Arena football. Not quite good enough for the big time, and nobody cares about it.

NDSU aka "the high school with ashtrays" would not know about D1 sports because it has never competed at the level. The Sioux really thought that NDSU would move to D3 since it could not compete at D2 even when it was recruiting criminals. Many UND football players considered playing at NDSU but were ineligible because they had no criminal records and they had too high of grades. I'm sure that your degree from NDSU served you well---what pizza chain do you deliver pizzas for?

Next time, please do not take the whole bottle of stupid pills before posting. :huh:

DIAA basketball does not exist.

skateshattrick Posted on Apr 3 2003, 12:32 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Correction--"mid major" basketball. D1AA football. Nobody still cares. 

This is a pretty active thread for nobody caring.

This is a pretty active thread for nobody caring.

Sigh. This is a pretty active thread in the UND hockey forum talking about an article in an NDSU newspaper about UND hockey. Activity in this thread has nothing to do with any of us caring about NDSU or any other D-IAA or mid-major sports. In fact, the whole point of the thread is some NDSU fans' obsession with UND's hockey program.

jimdahl Posted on Apr 3 2003, 12:49 PM

Sigh. This is a pretty active thread in the UND hockey forum talking about an article in an NDSU newspaper about UND hockey. Activity here has nothing to do with any of us caring about NDSU or any other D-IAA or mid-major sports. In fact, the whole point of the thread is some NDSU fans' obsession with UND's hockey program.

I don't think it is an obsession as UND fans would like to think. It is more to pull your chain (The article). Just reading the NDSU Spectrum is a sign the someone cares about what the other person is saying. I like to see what's going on with the other school. De nile is in Egypt. I also go to eGriz, The Gateway, Georgia Southern and more. I think rivalries are fun, but some people take them tooooo..... seriously.

Poor Adam Hauser. He's one year removed from the program, and he's still getting slighted. Oh well, I hope his championship ring is good enough for him. One departed Gopher who never gets brought up is Nick Angell. He was all-america caliber, but he was a very solid senior defenseman.

By the way, why in heaven's name would NDSU actually want to go D1? Cripes, look east will you? Minnesota struggles year after year in the Big 10, but if they play NDSU, they'll kill 'em. Just doesn't make sense.

I don't think it is an obsession as UND fans would like to think. It is more to pull your chain (The article). Just reading the NDSU Spectrum is a sign the someone cares about what the other person is saying. I like to see what's going on with the other school. De nile is in Egypt. I also go to eGriz, The Gateway, Georgia Southern and more. I think rivalries are fun, but some people take them tooooo..... seriously.

I don't think it has anything to do with taking rivalries too seriously.

The article doesn't read like something put out there to pull anyone's chain. I think that very few of us would have a problem with it if it weren't so terribly uninformed.

To say that Sioux fans were getting fitted for NC hats and shirts if pretty ridiculous. If he had paid attention to many posters on this board, he would know that many of us didn't think that the Sioux were going to win this year. We hoped beyond hope that they could pull it out, but there was very little INFORMED discussion about actually winning. Most eople pointed out the fact that the Sioux were greatly overachieving early on and that it would probably take another year to be where we (and Blaise and the team themselves) would like them to be.

And this statement is just plain stupid and idiotic:

"The Sioux made it back with essentially the same team, and lost in the championship game this time around. While fans will have to wait until April 10 to find out how the Gophers are going to do, the Gophers did make it back despite losing their top three scored from last season."

To say that the Sioux had the same team as the year before is showing how completely ignorant Joe Shirmer actually is in college hockey matters. I mean come on; losing Goren and Commie are enough, but we also lost Jason Ulmer, Armbrust, O'Connell and DeFauw, all quality players, most of whom are still playing hockey somewhere, including the NHL.

This is not to say that the Gophers didn't lose some great players...they did. They lost their top three scorers. But the Sioux lost 2 of their top 3 scorers (Goren, Ulmer) as well as one of the better defensive college Defensemen (Commie). They may not have scored quite as much, but DeFauw (22) and Armbrust (11) were two guys who played with a crapload of heart and enthusiasm and always seemed to be somewhere near the important plays, which is a terribly difficult thing to quantify.

I'm not sure that reading the NDSU Spectrum is as much a sign that someone cares what the other person is saying as it is just a smart way to keep informed of the goings on around you. I for one read all sorts of things from NDSU mainly so that when I make it back to Fargo once a year to visit my family I can have informed discussions with my dad (an NDSU alum) about the goings on around NDSU athletics. I also read things from other schools because it's just a good way to keep up with what is going on in the league. It's tough to have informed discussions about anything if you don't know what the other guys are doing.

On POI I posted that the article was a good read. Had it been written by someone with any level of intelligence I think it really could have been good.

But apparently they don't even have "grammar check" in Fargo? how many different ways can you misuse the word to/too/two in one sentence?

I thought it was humorous but couldn't take it too (or is that two?) seriously.

My cousins graduated from NDSU so I've always tried to like them. But, really once I went to school for myself they pretty much fell off of my radar.

This is kind of off the subject, but do you Sioux fans really dislike Minnesota that much or is more just a hockey rivalry thing done in fun? Since we don't compete in any other sport would you still root for other school over us in say football or basketball or whatever? I mean, our football program is more comical than anything.

sioux7 Posted on Apr 3 2003, 01:22 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Like they say "If you want to farm the farm go to NDSU. If you want own the farm, go to UND." Bison/Gophers......same thing. 

Curious to know where the farm is that you own if you own one.

leifolson Posted on Apr 3 2003, 02:10 PM

To say that Sioux fans were getting fitted for NC hats and shirts if pretty ridiculous. If he had paid attention to many posters on this board, he would know that many of us didn't think that the Sioux were going to win this year

I did read the post prior the game time of the Ferris State game, and it sounded to me that some of the UND faithful had already put UND into the regional final against the Gophers. That is if the Gophers could beat Mercyhurst.

He is obviously a disgruntled kid from the Minneapolis area who thought he might make the su footbal team and instead wound up flunking English (as evident by the way the article was written) and striking out on every fat chick on the NDSU campus. And believe me there is a ton of them! This kid has no knowledge of college hockey. Hey maybe he should ask Irv Innegar! :D

This is kind of off the subject, but do you Sioux fans really dislike Minnesota that much or is more just a hockey rivalry thing done in fun?  Since we don't compete in any other sport would you still root for other school over us in say football or basketball or whatever?  I mean, our football program is more comical than anything.

I can't speak for anyone esle but for me its just a fun (hockey) rivalry. Beyond that U of M sports doesn't really effect me. I can't say I root for them but I have no ill sentiment. I actually really like the campus and thought about transferring down there about 2 years ago. I would have had some hockey conflict there though. That would be like the child being pull in 2 directions by 2 fighting parents. :D

:D NDSU--- I don't like the school, I don't like the campus, I really don't like the Bison. The Fargodome is not a bad place to see a concert. ;):p

He is obviously a disgruntled kid from the Minneapolis area who thought he might make the su footbal team and instead wound up flunking English (as evident by the way the article was written) and striking out on every fat chick on the NDSU campus. And believe me there is a ton of them! This kid has no knowledge of college hockey. Hey maybe he should ask Irv Innegar! ;)

Punctuation marks are your friends.

Do any UND fans have actual facts to base their Bison hatred upon?

The only thing I have heard is elementary school playground blather, that has no factual basis.

NDSU sucks because, well......, 'cuz they do!
Very weak argument. :D

Spelling errors? Grow up! There are UND fans on this board (not including Siouxrock) that don't even spell Sioux correctly in their signatures :p ! What does that say for S-I-O-U-X fans?

Getting back to my original question, could it be jealousy?

Could it be that twenty national championships in six sports is greater than eleven national championships in three sports?

Are there any intelligent reasons?