SiouxSports.com Forum

Hakstol Takes Strong Stance on Nickname

CDog

about time - ..... Good For Hak - You would think lots of Folks would be trying to get something going - I think the word is getting around - that for us to change the name is very doable - I want to remain the Sioux as much as anyone

But I fall in the camp of Get it Done & move on - why wait till the end of 3 yrs ? - I realize it will take some time if there is hope - But if there isn't any hope (& I don't think there is from the current leadership) & if there is no way to really ask the people - then why wait - to think the Sioux People will rise up & vote out their leaders over this, would be the only reason to wait

I say we need some leaders to find out now, once & for all - while there is momentum & some positive feelings towards new names - Who are these leaders ? ? ?

I think the Student Senate & Alumni Assn. better get _ _it together quick - I don't believe it can wait for a new Prez. or new AD - weakest Leadership I have ever seen at UND - at this time - for lots of reasons - so many negatives, I almost think it's meant to be

& Media types - knock off rehashing all the old Negatives (if everyone does not know what is going on by now ) I doubt they are going to be any help - We want to keep the name for all the right Positive reasons & we all know what they are

I've always liked Hakstol - thought he was a good guy, good coach, etc. Now I admire him more than ever. FINALLY someone steps up. Not only that, but his comments are well-thought out, well-spoken, intelligent and positive. I heard a bit of his comments on the Dan Hammer show today over lunch, and Hakstol is a true leader. I'm not so sure that just because of this the Sioux will keep the name, but I do applaud and respect Hakstol for this.

I've always liked Hakstol - thought he was a good guy, good coach, etc. Now I admire him more than ever. FINALLY someone steps up. Not only that, but his comments are well-thought out, well-spoken, intelligent and positive. I heard a bit of his comments on the Dan Hammer show today over lunch, and Hakstol is a true leader. I'm not so sure that just because of this the Sioux will keep the name, but I do applaud and respect Hakstol for this.

I agree, Ray77. I sent an e-mail to Craig Dahl a number of years ago asking him to please tell his St Cloud State president to leave his opinions out of the National Hockey Center. Surprisingly enough, he e-mailed me back, but simply turned it around and asked me "what can I do? I'm just the hockey coach." The coaches and athletes are the ones who take the brunt of questions and comments as they travel around the country. I applaud Coach Hakstol for his comments. Thank you, coach! We ARE the silent majority.

I agree, Ray77. I sent an e-mail to Craig Dahl a number of years ago asking him to please tell his St Cloud State president to leave his opinions out of the National Hockey Center. Surprisingly enough, he e-mailed me back, but simply turned it around and asked me "what can I do? I'm just the hockey coach." The coaches and athletes are the ones who take the brunt of questions and comments as they travel around the country. I applaud Coach Hakstol for his comments. Thank you, coach! We ARE the silent majority.

I couldn't agree more.

Now, when we do speak out, we must all do it the same way as Coach Hakstol, well-thought out, well-spoken, intelligent and positive.

At times, we have been our own worst enemy, and those who oppose the name have been more than happy to use that against UND using the name and logo. I am very proud to be a Sioux alumnus, and very proud we have Coach Hakstol at UND leading the way, as we sit with no AD and a lame duck President (who I do think has done a good job on this issue in the past).

At times, we have been our own worst enemy, and those who oppose the name have been more than happy to use that against UND using the name and logo. I am very proud to be a Sioux alumnus, and very proud we have Coach Hakstol at UND leading the way, as we sit with no AD and a lame duck President (who I do think has done a good job on this issue in the past).

Just a quick note to nobody in particular, but generally responding to all here: Don't be suprised if this is the last time you hear an individual sports coach speak out on the issue. At Illinois, several coaches did speak out early on, but pretty soon each was saying something like "you'll have to ask the Athletic Director" or words to that effect. Obviously, they had been silenced by their superior(s) in the chain of command.

I personally witnessed our former football coach saying something like "I love the Chief. Isn't he great?" and that statement was followed by the loudest ovation of the day. That may have been the last time he issued such a "controversial" proclamation. :D

Some one posted this on Brad's blog in the comments.

This comments are for Hakstol regarding his comments in the GF Hearld.

What history and traditions do you talk about? I am sure the TALK is all about UND Sioux history and traditions. If not, what to do say to your players about the Sioux Nation? Seriously if you are so proud of the Sioux Nation and what they represent then you must have visited one of the Sioux tribes and expressed your honor. Since your players and athletic departments are so proud of the Sioux you must have taken them to a Sioux reservation to show there respect!

Mr. Hakstol, why after many years do you finally feel that it is time to start taking to the tribes? If you are so respectful it would have happened years ago, give me a break!

Sioux represents a Nation. Are your players proud to be representing a Sioux Native? This is what confuses me! You say your so proud of the Sioux name and use it with honor and respect. Have you ever asked your players or associates how many of them honor and respect Native people? Because Sioux is NOT about UND athletics!

You say

I also enjoy how the very same anti-Sioux nickname people are trying to ridicule the proposed nicknames. i.e., someone wrote in the Herald mailbag criticizing the Roughrider nickname, basically saying that Teddy Roosevelt was a fraud, etc. I pray that if we do have to get a new nickname, the decision on what it will be will not be left to anti-American, liberals like the dufus who wrote this crap in the Herald.

Anyone surprised that there hasn't been much of a response from the Sioux tribes about this?

I thought they'd release another "pity us" statements and then say "We said No, we mean it. We don't care what some hockey coach has to say!" Or something like that.

I guess I'm surprised by it too. Perhaps the tribes may see the advantages of close connections with the UND. The putting on of clinics, etc on the reservation could only help the reservation youth. Maybe they can see how a close connection with the U and the nickname can help their people in such ways. I'm probably being naive but I'd like to think that they're seeing the positives.

Anyone surprised that there hasn't been much of a response from the Sioux tribes about this?

I thought they'd release another "pity us" statements and then say "We said No, we mean it. We don't care what some hockey coach has to say!" Or something like that.

They are too busy this weekend working on economic developement, educational issues, healthcare iss... ;)