SiouxSports.com Forum

New nickname or none?

MplsBison

New nickname or none?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Should UND have a new nickname?

• Use only UND
    • Get a new nickname (Roughriders, Cavalry, etc.)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes they need a nickname. I like Cavalry. I just think it is a great name and has some historical value to the area. I really think it could start a new tradition if the talks with the 2 tribes fail. I only want a new name and logo after UND has exhausted all other resources to keep the current name and logo. Sioux Forever!

I don't know if you've read any of what Ron HHIT has been saying this week, but right now I put the odds of UND convincing him to let the school continue using Fighting Sioux at around a billion to one.

I think his own tribe should remove him from his position due to the fact he does not listen to his own people. The majority of the people on the reservation to not care if UND uses the name, but he is running his own agenda and I for one am tiredof it. He is a complete and total idiot!

it is time to move on---most people realize there is not much more that could be done to change the situation-----i for one want to be just NORTH DAKOTA ----nothing else says it all like that name---lived here my entire life and proud of our state and university----there's only two resonable requests i think should be made---1---that if the majority of people want to be just NORTH DAKOTA we need to consider that---2---the very people who have blasted UND and GRAND FORKS as racist community and learning center please step aside and let those people who truly love und for everything it stands for make a decision on what direction to go next---the g.f.herald---d. ylellbirds---and ron thunders must realize they probably wont be needed in the next process---wonder if benny brien can do a logo with ND?:ohmy: probably would do great job GO NORTH DAKOTA!!

it is time to move on---most people realize there is not much more that could be done to change the situation-----i for one want to be just NORTH DAKOTA ----nothing else says it all like that name---lived here my entire life and proud of our state and university----there's only two resonable requests i think should be made---1---that if the majority of people want to be just NORTH DAKOTA we need to consider that---2---the very people who have blasted UND and GRAND FORKS as racist community and learning center please step aside and let those people who truly love und for everything it stands for make a decision on what direction to go next---the g.f.herald---d. ylellbirds---and ron thunders must realize they probably wont be needed in the next process---wonder if benny brien can do a logo with ND?:ohmy: probably would do great job GO NORTH DAKOTA!!

What a novel idea let the majority of the people have their say and then carry out their request. This would be a great change in this whole process of minorities not majorities run and control everything in this country as well as this issue. I like the idea of not allowing anyone who is so negative against UND and the Grand Forks communities as racist to be in any discussion or have any say in the whole matter of a name change. I think the whole idea of NORTH DAKOTA is a great one and support it completly. Then I feel the whole idea of all the Tradition that I know can continue without all the negatives.

It seems that when you talk about college hockey to others, just saying "Fighting Sioux" says it all. They know who you're talking about. They know of the tradition, pride, excellence, etc. that "Fighting Sioux" entails.

But the words "North Dakota" precede the words "Fighting Sioux." Just saying "North Dakota" in reference to college hockey conjurs up the same defintion of college hockey greatness, tradition, pride, excellence, etc.

Since it seems that the words "Fighting Sioux" may not be used sooner rather than later (I'm always hoping against hope... but that is obviously dwindling at a rapid pace), why not just use what we all know and hold dear... "North Dakota."

Why add to it? When you have something really, really good (a good wine or beer, a good food recipe, a good ____________ whatever...) you don't screw with it. If anything, we only do something to make it better.

In my opinion they may have taken away the words "Fighting Sioux" but they can't take away "North Dakota." Adding to it doesn't make it better than what it already is.

Go ahead... just say it to yourself... "North Dakota." Swirl it around, take a taste, enjoy it... "North Dakota."

Need I say more...?

If you think we have troubles being confused with NDSU now, don't give people a nickname to differentiate between the two. I think people will be confusing the two from here to eternity then. I for one don't want NDSU getting credit for our accomplishments. "Oh, North Dakota won the national championship. Aren't they the Bison?", is a scenario I don't want to see.

I just wish everybody(including the State Board Of Higher ED) would just slow dow and realize we have 3 years. Ron Mcneil is up for reelection in 2009. He does not want this for an issue then because there are alot of people at Standing Rock that are for the nickname. If we get one Tribe's aproval we will get the other. This election will really tell the correct story on the "Sioux" nickname. We just need the Board to honor the 3 years we have but anything can happen. Funny how the Herald and Forum haven't raised the question of Ron Mcneil's length of his term. But that for another post.

But if we HAVE to get another nickname my suggestion is "The Scouts." In honor of the brave Lakota Warriors that fought and died for the United States at the Battle of the Little Bighorn. These brave Scouts have been labeled traitors by their people but I say we do the right thing and honor these great native Americans that fought and died for this country.

Again, for the "no moniker" crowd,

How do you market a null?

I mentioned the concept to a Gopher fan and the joke about North Dakota's moniker (in that scenario) being just like the state, a big empty place, rolled right off his tongue.

I'm not sure that I'm fully answering your question regarding marketing, but putting "DAKOTA" on the uniforms and utilizing the interlocking ND for the logo is a start. Marketing is obviously not my strong point, but I would think that a media campaign could be structured around "UND, the University of the Dakotas". Like I said, I'm not a marketing person, but that's a start.

I mentioned the concept to a Gopher fan and the joke about North Dakota's moniker (in that scenario) being just like the state, a big empty place, rolled right off his tongue.

The University of NORTH DAKOTA NOTHING!

The force of NOTHING.

________ plays the Pioneers at 8:35pm MT

Come watch nothing at the Ralph!

Thats how you market null! :ohmy::D

I do like PCM's "Nokota" idea, but that would take some educating of the public, which may be difficult marketing-wise as well. That being said "Nokota" does fit very well and someone had mentioned if/when football moves back outside that would be a nice mascot to lead the team out on the field.

BTW, DAK, love the avatar. I love geography, maps, aerial photos. Right up my alley.

Edited by GeauxSioux

Wouldn't you be marketing the teams as "UND" and "North Dakota"?

What would be wrong with that? I see tons of people wearing stuff that says "Michigan" or has just the "M" logo.