SiouxSports.com Forum

Great West Preseason Poll

bincitysioux

You might be surprised! Has anyone addressed the loss of Chappell and Stroup to your team?

Chappel's big play ability will certainly be missed, but you are sadly mistaken if you think that UND was only one-deep at the RB position last season, or that they will be this season. Although probably not the home-run threat that Chappel is, many feel, including myself, that Josh Murray will be just as capable.

As far as Stroup goes, he was often injured during his sophomore season and really wasn't 100% all season. His on-field intensity is what will be missed most. But that is not needed either if his off-field antics come with it.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His on-field intensity is what will be missed most. But that is not needed either if his off-field antics come with it.

Stroup took a couple bad penalties last year that got him talked to on the sidelines by the coaches. Add in his off-field issues and the picture became clearer to me.

What surprises me are the NDSU fans worried about UND's RB and LB situation when they have an unproven (collegiately) QB who has no backup and their MLB (in a 4-3 scheme) is gone to graduation.

Chappel's big play ability will certainly be missed, but you are sadly mistaken if you think that UND was only one-deep at the RB position last season, or that they will be this season. Although probably not the home-run threat that Chappel is, many feel, including myself, that Josh Murray will be just as capable.

As far as Stroup goes, he was often injured during his sophomore season and really wasn't 100% all season. His on-field intensity is what will be missed most. But that is not needed either if his off-field antics come with it.

I agree. I'm generally much more worried when there's a new starting quarterback than when there's a new starting running back. Murray is more than capable, and even if Brady's injury problems continue, there's still Solum, and possibly Sutton and the new juco (if that turns out to be true). Anything we get out of walk-ons Battle and Dungy is gravy.

Stroup took a couple bad penalties last year that got him talked to on the sidelines by the coaches. Add in his off-field issues and the picture became clearer to me.

What surprises me are the NDSU fans worried about UND's RB and LB situation when they have an unproven (collegiately) QB who has no backup and their MLB (in a 4-3 scheme) is gone to graduation.

Not worried - but I find the lack of conversation on the subject in this forum interesting. Hey graduation happens at least at NDSU it does. No one is worried about our LB situation as we have some great people returning. QB position we're thin and we'll have to see what happens.

Not worried - but I find the lack of conversation on the subject in this forum interesting. Hey graduation happens at least at NDSU it does. No one is worried about our LB situation as we have some great people returning. QB position we're thin and we'll have to see what happens.

I find your obsession with the Sioux interesting.

Do you have a job? Most of you posts occur during what I would consider normal business hours. I would hate for you to be on my payroll.

I find your obsession with the Sioux interesting.

Do you have a job? Most of you posts occur during what I would consider normal business hours. I would hate for you to be on my payroll.

Thanks for your concern. I guess the same thing could be said about alot of posters.

As I indicated before, the scholarship reductions brought NDSU back to the pack, and were the trigger for later 90's mediocrity. When the current day NDSU program has the ability to strech with the higher scholarship level, they will again show dominance. The 90's decline was very predictable, and will be similar to what happens in the future to MN St. in the Northern Sun, when they are forced to play down to lower scholarship levels.

NDSU in the 80's and Grand Valley recently had the same perciption. Play all your playoff games at home. NDSU outbid em. Grand Valley plays in a weak confrence. Neither against the rules as they were just taking advantage of them. Why did NDSU lose there dominance? I think because the other teams finally learned how to defend the veer. SU had the same amount of scholarships as every one else before and after the reductions. May have hurt your depth but your starters should have remained topnotch.

NDSU in the 80's and Grand Valley recently had the same perciption. Play all your playoff games at home. NDSU outbid em. Grand Valley plays in a weak confrence. Neither against the rules as they were just taking advantage of them. Why did NDSU lose there dominance? I think because the other teams finally learned how to defend the veer. SU had the same amount of scholarships as every one else before and after the reductions. May have hurt your depth but your starters should have remained topnotch.

NDSU should be congratulated for its success in the 60s and 80s much like UND should be congratulated for its success. There are more factors than just scholarship. UND and NDSU both had long streaks of success when playing at equal scholarship levels (and also periods of less than stellar performances). NDSU fans on this forum seem to think that lowering the scholarship levels lowered their level of play against other teams with the same scholarship level but they also ignore other factors such as the coaching staff. I think it is funny to suggest that the lower level of scholarship made you play worst but I do think the overall lowering of scholarship, D1, D1AA, etc., had the effect of having more talented players spread among different teams rather than one team stockpiling them. As such, it makes coaching that much more important. From this there is an implied implication by NDSU fans that its coaching then wasn't up to the challenge. Many UND fans think that its coaching in the 80s by Behns wasn't up to expectations. NDSU is to be congratulated for beating Minnesota last year but I think its teams in the 80s would have beaten Minnesota the last 2 years and the same for the UND and NDSU teams (and most of the NCC) from the 70s.

You might be surprised! Has anyone addressed the loss of Chappell and Stroup to your team?

i know what you mean, but just cause i feel like be a jerk right now.....I am sure that our coach has addressed the loss of those two players!

Seriously, it doesn't matter if we address it, I am sure that Coach M. has some plan in place and if he doesn't, I hope he has Coach Lennon's phone number.

Yes, Raphael Reynolds is already in Grand Forks working out. From what I've heard he's probably as fast as Chappell plus a lot stronger. I think if he can pick up the system during camp he and Murray will make sure the offense doesn't miss a beat this season.

Yes, Raphael Reynolds is already in Grand Forks working out. From what I've heard he's probably as fast as Chappell plus a lot stronger. I think if he can pick up the system during camp he and Murray will make sure the offense doesn't miss a beat this season.

That is great news. It usually seems to be USD that picks up stud transfer or older-than-average running backs seemingly out of nowhere, and it would be nice if UND could pull that off for a change. We'll have to wait and see how this turns out, but I do like the fact that Mussman seems to be more aggressive in pursuing transfers and Canadians (e.g. Bamba and Fonseca) than Dale Lennon was.

That is great news. It usually seems to be USD that picks up stud transfer or older-than-average running backs seemingly out of nowhere, and it would be nice if UND could pull that off for a change. We'll have to wait and see how this turns out, but I do like the fact that Mussman seems to be more aggressive in pursuing transfers and Canadians (e.g. Bamba and Fonseca) than Dale Lennon was.

While I don't know if we'll sign as many kids out of Quebec every year as we have this year :) , I would fully expect that we get one or two players a year out of the California Juco leagues. California is home to some of the top football talent in the country and their JUCO leagues are no exception. Also expect the recruiting grounds to expand into Florida and Texas as well this next offseason.

While I don't know if we'll sign as many kids out of Quebec every year as we have this year :) , I would fully expect that we get one or two players a year out of the California Juco leagues. California is home to some of the top football talent in the country and their JUCO leagues are no exception. Also expect the recruiting grounds to expand into Florida and Texas as well this next offseason.

I went to law school back in the mid-1990's with a guy who played Canadian college football and who did some volunteer coaching at UND, and he told me several times that UND should try to establish a recruiting presence in the Montreal area, because there was a lot of talent there. It took awhile for it to come to fruition, but it looks like he may have been prophetic. It will be interesting to see if UND can pluck one or two from that area every few years.

I went to law school back in the mid-1990's with a guy who played Canadian college football and who did some volunteer coaching at UND, and he told me several times that UND should try to establish a recruiting presence in the Montreal area, because there was a lot of talent there. It took awhile for it to come to fruition, but it looks like he may have been prophetic. It will be interesting to see if UND can pluck one or two from that area every few years.

A pipeline to that area and especially to that program that produced Bamba and Fonseca is definitely an asset. I believe a number of pro's have come out of that school. Tim Biakabutuka of the Michigan Wolverines and the Carolina Panthers is just one that comes to mind.

Any word as to why Reynolds has apparently not been added to the roster yet?

Looking at the numbers that have been used thus far on the roster, I see a few occurrences where two people have the same number, yet there are still some unused numbers. #4 obviously is Chappell's number and probably won't get used this year, but #16 is unused. Is this number being "saved" for someone? :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

The Great West Preseason Poll has UND picked to finish 3rd in the conference this season.

One of the two new teams in 2007, North Dakota looks to open its first year in transition from NCAA Division II to the

Football Championship Subdivision on a positive note. First-year head coach Chris Mussman can count on Danny Freund

to move the offense as he enters his second year as a starter as the school

No respect. Cal-Poly and Cal-Davis will both find out soon enough that the Fighting Sioux are no pushover.

I don't think they are referring to UND as pushovers, we haven't proven anything at an FCS level yet. I think this poll is fair. I certainly think the Sioux can win the conference but we have a lot to prove.

I don't think they are referring to UND as pushovers, we haven't proven anything at an FCS level yet. I think this poll is fair. I certainly think the Sioux can win the conference but we have a lot to prove.

Hard to win the conference when you don't play the best team - Cal Poly

Hard to win the conference when you don't play the best team - Cal Poly

If Cal Poly loses one conference game and UND wins all of their conference games, then UND would be the champions of the Great West. It would be ideal if we played all conference teams but I guess it didn't work out that way. Too bad I guess.