SiouxSports.com Forum

Great West Preseason Poll

bincitysioux

Unless the Great West Football Conference calculates its championships differently, it seems to me that if Cal Poly goes 4-0 and UND goes 3-0 there would be a co-championship in the offing, both teams having a 1.000 winning percentage. Furthermore, following that reasoning, should Cal Poly go 3-1 and UND 3-0, well then voila, UND is conference champion.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is probably giving away my age, but I recall the 1961 Big Ten season, the year the Ohio State faculty enraged Woody Hayes at Buckeyeville when they refused to grant permission to the Buckeyes to go to the Rose Bowl. Minnesota did instead and wound up beating UCLA for their first and only Rose Bowl win ever by a 21-3 margin. Lost in this shuffle, however, may be the fact that while Ohio State won the Big 10 title that year, the three teams it did not play in the conference that year (as I recall Minnesota, Michigan State and Purdue) finished two, three and four, somewhat in that order as I remember). Does that put a blemish on the Buckeyes' conference title that year? As I also recall, Minnesota played and defeated both Michigan State and Purdue that season. Minnesota and Ohio State did not meet that year. Again, does that taint the Buckeyes that year? Just asking.

Is this the kind of writing the Sioux have to look forward to in Division I?

Around FCS: Year Of Change For Great West

Let me see, the Sioux have been a perennial playoff team, national champions in the past 10 years, beat UNI in Cedar Falls two years ago (the week before SDSU went into Cedar Falls and lost), yet ...

the Fighting Sioux and Coyotes probably are not as far along as their Dakota neighbors were when they made the jump.
???:huh: Either the author is ignorant or just doesn't care to do research. :silly:

Unless the Great West Football Conference calculates its championships differently, it seems to me that if Cal Poly goes 4-0 and UND goes 3-0 there would be a co-championship in the offing, both teams having a 1.000 winning percentage. Furthermore, following that reasoning, should Cal Poly go 3-1 and UND 3-0, well then voila, UND is conference champion.

I recently received an email from USD A.D. Joel Neilson, and he said that the conference champion will indeed be determined by winning percentage of conference games.