SiouxSports.com Forum

expected signings

4siouxnow

I am of the opinion that she will struggle as a freshman at UND. She only shoots 25% from the 3 pt. line and has scored 89 pts. from the FT line already this year (she is ave. 10 FT att./game). While her overall FG% is good (45%), I don't believe she'll get the same shots in college she gets in H.S.; she is not going to shoot 10 FT's a game in college.

She is a tough one to figure. Her career in V-ball and Bball tell us she is a good athlete but if you watch her play, she doesn't blow by people with the dribble or anything special. She shoots a lot of layups off their press and, again, a lot of FT's. I would be interested to know how many DI offers she had before committing to UND. My guess is not very many. Wouldn't be surprised if the look hard at Redshirting her so she's a freshman in year 1 in the Big Sky.

Thanks for the insight. Not surprisingly, I was hoping to hear that she might provide some immediate help but I am sure your assessment is accurate. Hopefully, she will work hard and become a real contributor down the line.

• 1 month later...

I am of the opinion that she will struggle as a freshman at UND. She only shoots 25% from the 3 pt. line and has scored 89 pts. from the FT line already this year (she is ave. 10 FT att./game). While her overall FG% is good (45%), I don't believe she'll get the same shots in college she gets in H.S.; she is not going to shoot 10 FT's a game in college.

She is a tough one to figure. Her career in V-ball and Bball tell us she is a good athlete but if you watch her play, she doesn't blow by people with the dribble or anything special. She shoots a lot of layups off their press and, again, a lot of FT's. I would be interested to know how many DI offers she had before committing to UND. My guess is not very many. Wouldn't be surprised if the look hard at Redshirting her so she's a freshman in year 1 in the Big Sky.

I think Roerich will contribute more quickly than many in the Valley think. 1. She has a very quick first step with good mechanics. 2. She finishes very well with touch on either hand. 3. She is strong enough to absorb contact and finish off the drive.

I believe she will be a primarily a 3 at the next level, but she could be a 4 on spot duty.

Her shot mechanics are horrible, thus contributing to the 25% 3 percentage, but that can be fixed over a summer.

I think Roerich will contribute more quickly than many in the Valley think. 1. She has a very quick first step with good mechanics. 2. She finishes very well with touch on either hand. 3. She is strong enough to absorb contact and finish off the drive.

I believe she will be a primarily a 3 at the next level, but she could be a 4 on spot duty.

Her shot mechanics are horrible, thus contributing to the 25% 3 percentage, but that can be fixed over a summer.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on her "first step" being quick. She gets to the rim with a spin move to her left hand. That will NOT happen in DI bball. She may also be the laziest player I've ever seen. No one walks up and down the floor more than she does. Either she is the most out of shape player in H.S. bball or she doesn't like work. Either way, Coach Roebuck will address that and fix it the first day of practice. She has to be a 3; no way she could guard 4's in the Big Sky.

Like I said, I respect your opinion, but this girl as a ways to go to make her mark at UND. There is a skill set there but the temperment required to be an impact player at a DI school is lacking in my opinion. No reason not to redshirt her. We are playing for nothing again for 1 more year.

Brianna Williams of Hopkins is playing in the MN State Tournament this week. Looks like the game is Wednesday at 10:00 AM. Don't know if it is televised.

She scored 19 points to lead Hopkins over Buffalo today: http://www.mngirlsbasketballhub.com/news_article/show/82432?referrer_id=248312&elr=KArksLckD8EQDUoaEyqyP4O:DW3ckUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUCDEaLDyE7DyaU

Any updates, any hints, any details?

Sorry--I know no further details, or even whether it's true. My guess is that if true, it's a player who was recruited by UND out of high school, and who is looking to transfer to either a smaller school, or someplace closer to home (or perhaps both).

What is the scoop on the Osseo lady who committed to the Sioux. She plays on a terrific team but as the Herald says she only averages 6 points. Does anyone know anything about her?

She transferred to Osseo from a school in North Minneapolis this year to get more exposure, From what I was told, she is a lockdown defender with an underrated offensive game. However, my source was secondhand.

Any updates, any hints, any details?

Just to throw some names out there. Over the last two years in the state of Minnesota these players have gone out east:

2009-

Anne Berner (6'4" Forest Lake), who I just noticed is no longer on the roster at Rhode Island, I do believe she was on the same team as Nipe and Taylor Hill of Ohio State.

Briana Edwards (6'1" Mpls. North), played in every game for Providence this year.

Megan Nipe (6' Centennial), started 10 games as a freshman but only played in 4 games this year for George Washington, I believe I heard that was due to injury. Not certain though, I tend not to follow them after they leave the state.

From the looks of it, no one went out east in 2010. So I guess this kind of narrows it down.

I know from relible sources that the Sioux women are looking to get bigger. They would like to play Buck at the 3 at times, and not be exclusively a four.

Isn't the scholarship that is available Shyla Kuhel' that would mean Berner makes sense right? Just gossiping.

• 4 weeks later...

From the Herald:

The lack of scoring seems like a bit of a concern.

Cy'erra Mills inks with North Dakota

Along with newly signed Brianna Williams, Mills played for the North Tartan Nike Elite team based out of Minnesota.

"Cy'erra is extremely athletic and versatile," said North Tartan Nike Elite coach Bill Larson. "She used to crash the rim, but over the years she has developed a great mid-range jump shot and has opened herself to score more on the perimeter as well. She is a defensive stopper on the outside and has really excelled in that area.

"She helped out our program in a lot of ways and we'd love to have her back. North Dakota getting a very good player and Cy'erra will be working with a great staff."

• 2 weeks later...

I've seen her play, and she was a nice class B basketball player but I've seen D1 basketball players and in my opinion, it's going to be tough for her. Our team played Lamar in Ames Iowa a few years ago, they weren't that good. I think they're reaching. I always thought that she would be a nice player at Northern State or Mary. If she turns out to be an All-Conference player down there, I obviously will have to admit that I'm wrong. She's quick that is true- she can shoot the wide open 3, she can drive and get to the rim against B defense, but I'm not sure she can hit the pull up. She is also slight and small. Come to think of it I'm not sure how many on the team we have now can drive and hit the pull-up on a regular basis. We got Bri Williams coming in, I like her a lot better with strength and physical ability. I also like Burck who redshirted this year who with her size & long arms bring a lot of intangibles to the equation. I think Roerich is a little better player as well. I think perimeter players we are going to have or will have in place over the next few years are better fits to the program. imho

I've seen her play, and she was a nice class B basketball player but I've seen D1 basketball players and in my opinion, it's going to be tough for her. Our team played Lamar in Ames Iowa a few years ago, they weren't that good. I think they're reaching. I always thought that she would be a nice player at Northern State or Mary. If she turns out to be an All-Conference player down there, I obviously will have to admit that I'm wrong. She's quick that is true- she can shoot the wide open 3, she can drive and get to the rim against B defense, but I'm not sure she can hit the pull up. She is also slight and small. Come to think of it I'm not sure how many on the team we have now can drive and hit the pull-up on a regular basis. We got Bri Williams coming in, I like her a lot better with strength and physical ability. I also like Burck who redshirted this year who with her size & long arms bring a lot of intangibles to the equation. I think Roerich is a little better player as well. I think perimeter players we are going to have or will have in place over the next few years are better fits to the program. imho

You must have not heard of her performance in the Nike Tournament in Portland. She was in Sports Illustrated because of it. Lamar's point guard this past year was 5'2" and went to the WNBA combine. You must have no clue about women's basketball if you think a 5'4" point guard can't make a difference at the Division I level. Also Lamar qualified for the NCAA tournament and WNIT (twice) the past three years. Yeah, Lamar is really reaching. :glare:

Did my opinion hit you a little too close to the mark- sd hoops? I just don't think she's D1 good, maybe I will be wrong. Honestly, I really don't give a rip about what happened at a Nike, Reebok, Converse, And 1, Pay Less camp. That doesn't change my opinion of what I seen of her here in high school. Good for her, that she played well in that camp. There have been a lot of busts who have had great off season special camps. I hope she proves me wrong, but I just dont see it. And on this board my opinion is no more and no less than yours, your comments of me not knowing basketball is just that....an opinion. To wrap this up I will give you a line from the movie Stripes "Lighten up, Francis"

• 2 months later...