SiouxSports.com Forum

expected signings

4siouxnow

Two more commitments for 2010: link

These appear to be two pretty talented girls. Lauck, also a very good VB player, narrowed her college choices to UND and UW-Milwaukee. She is listed as 6' tall in some publications.

Alyssa Wall apparently has nice size and very good upside potential. She is listed as tall as 6'4" in some of the media. Not sure who else wanted her!

I was somewhat surprised to see Evers still listed as a verbal. I would guess that she would not be getting any scholarship $.

• 4 weeks later...
As far as I know, she is still committed. The EDC starts volleyball playoffs this week so maybe Siri just didn't have a chance to get the forms signed and sent. No reason to believe she'd change her mind now.

With the news (at least to me) that Evers is actually getting a scholarship, I don't see that we have another one left for next year if everybody returns. I was under the impression that only Haring is a walk-on, and there are currently 11 other underclassmen, plus the four who signed yesterday. Or is that not correct?

Does that mean Evers is getting a full ride? Can you give partial scholarships in DI basketball or do they have to be full? Giving someone a scholarship doesn't necessarily mean they are getting 4 years. People disappear from programs if it doesn't work out after 1 or 2 years.

Aren't there rules about being a DI athlete and getting an academic scholarship? Doesn't it still count against the team?

Academic scholarships do count against the team. There are no 1/2 or partial scholarships in DI basketball. You are either scholarshiped or you are a walk-on.

Didn't they have one not show up this fall? Maybe that opens something up

Fighting Sioux sign Burck to 2010-11 women's basketball roster

University of North Dakota head women's basketball coach Gene Roebuck announced today that Fargo, N.D., native Siri Burck has signed a National Letter of Intent for the 2010-11 season.

A 6-0 guard from Fargo South High School, Burck averaged 12.7 points, 6.4 rebounds, and 4.0 steals per game last season for the Bruins. A member of the All-Eastern Dakota Conference team, she shot 51.5 (102-for-198) percent from the field and tallied 36 blocks.

Does that mean Evers is getting a full ride? Can you give partial scholarships in DI basketball or do they have to be full? Giving someone a scholarship doesn't necessarily mean they are getting 4 years. People disappear from programs if it doesn't work out after 1 or 2 years.

DI allows 15 full scholarships for women.

Didn't one of the Gillette cousin's recently quit, opening up an additional scholarship?

Didn't one of the Gillette cousin's recently quit, opening up an additional scholarship?

They're both still listed on the roster, and I haven't seen or heard anything in the local media about any departures. But clearly at least one underclassmen currently on scholarship won't be returning next year, as the numbers don't add up.

EDIT: There was one early departure before the season even started, but Brittany Peterson wasn't on scholarship.

According to today's Herald, both Gillett's recently left the team. So even with the addition of Burck to the 2010 recruiting class, that leaves one open scholarship. Or two depending upon Sharkova's status.

Due to injuries, the Sioux were down to eight players after Kirstie Gillett, a sophomore, and Jenna Gillett, a freshman, recently left the team.

• 1 month later...

I ran across this list of the top sr. prospects in Minnesota, and Megan Lauck is currently ranked 18th: http://www.gprep.net/200rankings.html

There aren't a lot of dI signees ranked below her, but at least there aren't any dII signees ranked above her, either.

Allyssa Wall had a big game last week--27 points and 12 rebounds: http://www.siouxcityjournal.com/sports/hig...580abf360a.html

I believe Madi Buck was injured in Century's second game and hasn't played since.

Siri Burck is averaging 12.6 ppg and 5.4 assists/game.

Emily Evers is averaging 8.7 ppg, 8 rpg and 4 blocks/game.

I know Burk is a point guard, I think next year could be brutal without someone who can take over handeling of the basketball. Jossy is playing 40 minutes a game now, and to be honest with you we don't really have anyone to groom behind her right now. I know that the thought was that Smart could play that role and develop into it, but I'm not seeing that right now. It seems she's better suited to being off the ball. Privatsky, just depends on her health, and I don't want to speculate. Next year could be brutal just getting into our offense without a seasoned point guard to get us there. Add to that-- the only proven scorer we'll have returning will be Youngblut. Lof is improving but the reality is next year we could be an absolutely horrific offensive ball club.

I know Burk is a point guard, I think next year could be brutal without someone who can take over handeling of the basketball. Jossy is playing 40 minutes a game now, and to be honest with you we don't really have anyone to groom behind her right now. I know that the thought was that Smart could play that role and develop into it, but I'm not seeing that right now. It seems she's better suited to being off the ball. Privatsky, just depends on her health, and I don't want to speculate. Next year could be brutal just getting into our offense without a seasoned point guard to get us there. Add to that-- the only proven scorer we'll have returning will be Youngblut. Lof is improving but the reality is next year we could be an absolutely horrific offensive ball club.

Between having limited options at the point, having no juniors next year and having at least two available scholarships, I think the only real option is to sign a couple of jucos, at least one of whom has to be a point guard, and hope for the best. Next year does look scary, though.

• 3 weeks later...

I know our season is far from over. But lets do a little conjecture. What will next years roster and starting line-up look like?

Seniors will be: Lof & Youngblut

Juniors will be:

Sophmores: Privatsky?, Kuehl, Houdek, Smart, Rothfusz

Incomming Freshman: Buck, Burck, Lauck, Wall, Evers

Starters: Youngblut, Lof, Kuehl, Rothfusz, Smart?

It's going to be interesting, and extremely difficult. Recent years have not gone well at all as we haven't been able to have an effective redshirt for development since Youngblut, all other players have had to play. With alot of these players, they would have benefitted alot from having been able to redshirt. And it looks like more of the same this coming year. Oh well.

I know our season is far from over. But lets do a little conjecture. What will next years roster and starting line-up look like?

Seniors will be: Lof & Youngblut

Juniors will be:

Sophmores: Privatsky?, Kuehl, Houdek, Smart, Rothfusz

Incomming Freshman: Buck, Burck, Lauck, Wall, Evers

Starters: Youngblut, Lof, Kuehl, Rothfusz, Smart?

It's going to be interesting, and extremely difficult. Recent years have not gone well at all as we haven't been able to have an effective redshirt for development since Youngblut, all other players have had to play. With alot of these players, they would have benefitted alot from having been able to redshirt. And it looks like more of the same this coming year. Oh well.

Besides Youngblut and Lof, it is extremely difficult to project a 2010-11 starting lineup. I'd say Privatsky at point guard, health permitting. Sharkova at center, NCAA permitting. The other spot is probably Rothfusz, unless one of the true freshmen really impresses. I'm still hoping for a couple of juco additions, just because there will be no other juniors next year (aside from hopefully Sharkova), and we desperately need scoring. It's been at least five years since a true freshman has stepped in and provided scoring immediately, so I'm not counting on the incoming recruits to provide much offense next year.

I'm not sure about Privatsky 2 injuries to the same knee...will she ever be able to play again, ? The way I look at Sharkova is if she isn't playing now, she may not be playing in the future. Which is funny, what is the official word on her? The last info I heard was in a Wayne Nelson article dating back before Xmas, that they would know soon. That time came and went, was there anymore followup on that story. Sounds to me as if the story just got forgotten, or maybe I missed it.

I'm not sure about Privatsky 2 injuries to the same knee...will she ever be able to play again, ? The way I look at Sharkova is if she isn't playing now, she may not be playing in the future. Which is funny, what is the official word on her? The last info I heard was in a Wayne Nelson article dating back before Xmas, that they would know soon. That time came and went, was there anymore followup on that story. Sounds to me as if the story just got forgotten, or maybe I missed it.

I assume it got to a point where it was too late in the season for Sharkova to start playing even if she was cleared by the NCAA. It would have been a waste of a year of eligibility. She's still on the bench so apparently she hasn't been ruled ineligible, at least not yet. In any event, either she'll finally be cleared, or else there will be another scholarship available.

As for Privatsky, it will be difficult to recover from two serious knee injuries, but not unprecedented. I haven't heard anything about the likelihood of her playing again.

Per Roebuck, in comments today, UND is scouring the region for 3 Juco's for next year to fill in the scholarship/player void in this year's sophomore class. Hoping to find a point guard, someone to play low post and an "athlete," hopefully an outside shooter. Also according to Gene, Sharakova (sp?) "meets NCAA requirements but not UND requirements" to play -- sounds like a grade-point or credits issue. Not sure what her future is, but I would presume that if she's still with the team now there's hope she could play next year.