SiouxSports.com Forum

North vs. South

dakotadan

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UND is the better team this year. Some USD followers are still clinging to the notion that the Coyotes are all but unbeatable at home, but the truth is that they've not been destroying teams at home like they had the previous few years. They beat up on SCSU, but were just two scores better than both Western Washington and Mankato. They were also really exposed by UNO a few nights ago. Barring a lot of turnovers, the Sioux offense will put up quite a lot of points. USD can score, although Shepard's accuracy as a passer right now is questionable. I believe UND will really focus on slowing down Allen and the running game, and force Shepard to beat them throwing the ball. I believe UND will win a fairly tight game, and go into the playoffs on a nice roll.

I have a feeling the psyche of the USD team may have been damaged by the beatdown in Omaha, similar to how UND's was damaged in 2005 by blowing the big fourth quarter lead against UNO. Clearly the Sioux were not the same team after that. Confidence is sometimes a tough thing to get back, and I'm thinking that the USD team may be justifiably doubting themselves right now.

UND is the better team this year. Some USD followers are still clinging to the notion that the Coyotes are all but unbeatable at home, but the truth is that they've not been destroying teams at home like they had the previous few years. They beat up on SCSU, but were just two scores better than both Western Washington and Mankato. They were also really exposed by UNO a few nights ago. Barring a lot of turnovers, the Sioux offense will put up quite a lot of points. USD can score, although Shepard's accuracy as a passer right now is questionable. I believe UND will really focus on slowing down Allen and the running game, and force Shepard to beat them throwing the ball. I believe UND will win a fairly tight game, and go into the playoffs on a nice roll.

I have a feeling the psyche of the USD team may have been damaged by the beatdown in Omaha, similar to how UND's was damaged in 2005 by blowing the big fourth quarter lead against UNO. Clearly the Sioux were not the same team after that. Confidence is sometimes a tough thing to get back, and I'm thinking that the USD team may be justifiably doubting themselves right now.

I agree that USD isn't the same team as previous years, and I hope you are right, but I do worry about USD still coming out guns blazing. They may not have the post season, but they still have their precious home record to defend.

If I can convince someone to go with me, I will try to head down for the game.

I see UND winning a close hard fought football game. Hopefully not a lot of the USD faithful will show up to the game because of the lack of importance on their behalf. I think we'll see a lot of Sioux fans make the trip and help the team get off on the right foot. The last time UND was down there they got off to just a horrific start and that cost them the football game. I think they'd given up something like 21 points in the first quarter....uggghhh.

Primarily lets hope nobody gets hurt in this one. We need everybody for the playoff run. :huh:

The game is on TV where I live, and I've got a coaching clinic in the morning, so I won't be able to attend. But I'll be cheering for them on TV! :D

I think the timing of this game is perfect for UND. The reality is that in order to get to Florence, UND would almost certainly need to beat both UNO and GVSU on the road. Both of those teams are better than USD. So if UND can't win in Vermillion, there's probably no reason to think they could win at either Caniglia or Lubbers. This game gives UND the opportunity to show whether they're a legit contender or not.

If only the Sioux had actually finished on a couple more of those many trips into the red zone against UNO, we'd be playing for homefield throughout the playoffs on Saturday. :D