SiouxSports.com Forum

Major loss for Goofs

mygarske

Once again after reading all of these posts it shows what first class people Sioux fans are and I'm proud to be one of them. I too wish the injuried player well and hope he recovers to full strength in the future. Keep being the first class people that you all are and let's keep cheering for our team and let's do it with class. Go Sioux!

You really hate to see an injury like this happen to anyone, but especially to those that have stayed in college to develop rather than take the quick bucks which would be easy to do. I get concerned about the possibility of injury to the four guys who stayed with the Sioux. We all know how Oshie plays like a bull in a China closet, and it is that kind of reckless abandon that worries me. Hopefully Stoa's injury doesn't make other college players with pro potential think twice about staying in college in the future. Then again, you can't live your life in fear. Hopefully Stoa will have the same pro career that he would have prior to the injury.

I have to agree, you hate to see an injury take out an elite player....on any team. Here's hoping Ryan has a speedy and full recovery. As much as I hate to see that guy standing in front of a Sioux goalie we all would take a player like him on our team. Plus, I love to play minny when there is alot on the line and both teams are 100% (or as close to that as you can be) healthy.

hes a top line forward who would have put up 30-40 points with those linemates. they will miss him. that doesnt mean they wont be a top 3 wcha team at all but you never know as he was on that top line for a reason.

I completely agree with AZSIOUX, he is a major loss to that line and to the goofs. Even though hirsch had his problems off ice, you can look at the stat sheets and see Okposo's goals completely fall of the face of the earth once hirsch wasn't there to feed him those amazing passes. Okposo was still a great WCHA player last year, no doubt about it, but his WCHA MVP chances went out the door with hirsch (not that he really had a chance against Duncs, but one has to make the point). One guy can make a difference, especially on a young team like the goofs. We'll never really know with stoa because this injury was so early in the season.

And, yes, the goofs have the depth to put a guy up there to score some goals and feed the other 2 guys, but it just won't be the same. Watching WCHA hockey (or college hockey in general) evolve over the last 10 or 15 years one thing keeps coming to mind for me is that experience is the common bond on championship teams. With kids coming in from all over and leaving after a year or two for the big show, the more time they spend playing together and under the rules of the league, the better the chances your team has to win a National Championship. And if you have a group like our guys (we need a name for the group of juniors that came back this year) who commit to their team, their school and each other - well, you are bound to make history. Like winning an 8th National Championship, ANOTHER Hobey Baker winner and a half dozen All Americans from your team. All in all, just another year in books if you play hockey for the Fighting Sioux from North Dakota.

I completely agree with AZSIOUX, he is a major loss to that line and to the goofs. Even though hirsch had his problems off ice, you can look at the stat sheets and see Okposo's goals completely fall of the face of the earth once hirsch wasn't there to feed him those amazing passes. Okposo was still a great WCHA player last year, no doubt about it, but his WCHA MVP chances went out the door with hirsch (not that he really had a chance against Duncs, but one has to make the point). One guy can make a difference, especially on a young team like the goofs. We'll never really know with stoa because this injury was so early in the season.

And, yes, the goofs have the depth to put a guy up there to score some goals and feed the other 2 guys, but it just won't be the same. Watching WCHA hockey (or college hockey in general) evolve over the last 10 or 15 years one thing keeps coming to mind for me is that experience is the common bond on championship teams. With kids coming in from all over and leaving after a year or two for the big show, the more time they spend playing together and under the rules of the league, the better the chances your team has to win a National Championship. And if you have a group like our guys (we need a name for the group of juniors that came back this year) who commit to their team, their school and each other - well, you are bound to make history. Like winning an 8th National Championship, ANOTHER Hobey Baker winner and a half dozen All Americans from your team. All in all, just another year in books if you play hockey for the Fighting Sioux from North Dakota.

Holy declaring you team champion after week two of the season batman! And adding a half dozen all americans AND the Hobey Baker at the same time!! WOW Drink the koolaid dude, drink it! OH YEAH TASTES GOOOOOOD.

Anyone here ever seen a streetcar named desire? No, you're all rubes, maybe you've seen the Simpsons episode about it? Anyways, lots of gophers fans yelling "STOOAAA, STOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAA" after hearing this news. Fast recovery my friend, see you (and Jeff) at Blarny!

Holy declaring you team champion after week two of the season batman! And adding a half dozen all americans AND the Hobey Baker at the same time!! WOW Drink the koolaid dude, drink it! OH YEAH TASTES GOOOOOOD.

Anyone here ever seen a streetcar named desire? No, you're all rubes, maybe you've seen the Simpsons episode about it? Anyways, lots of gophers fans yelling "STOOAAA, STOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAA" after hearing this news. Fast recovery my friend, see you (and Jeff) at Blarny!

Tough night last night for you wasn't it. We'll give you the benefit of the doubt regarding your incoherent ramblings and assume you have just drowned your sorrows with a little too much shine.

shortbusguy lost me at "You're all...." Classifying an entire fanbase as something just doesn't work.

And in case anyone is wondering... I don't know if Stoa had any affect on the Gophers last weekend. Could he actually make them play with more urgency as a team? Could he get them all to move their feet more?

Seriously, CC routinely beat UMN to the puck, forechecked better than the Gophers, passed better than the Gophers (WOW! I usually am the one who says MN's passing game is top of the league!), and played more sound hockey that UMN.

I don't think Stoa's presence would have helped them resolve team apathy.

And if you have a group like our guys (we need a name for the group of juniors that came back this year) who commit to their team, their school and each other - well, you are bound to make history.

How about the 'Hard Hats'? Their work ethic, commitment to the job at hand and team work is unmatched by any players/team in college hockey today!

I feel terrible for Stoa. While I'm not a Goofy fan, I hate it when a kid gets hurt like this. I wish him good luck and a healthy future.

If you had been paying attention over that 10-15 years, you probably would have noticed that the teams annointed haven't won national championships, including Michigan in 1997 the Sioux in 1998 and Minnesota going for the 3-peat in 2004. Certainly the experience will help, but when you get to a one and done situation, you better not have an off night during tourney time.