SiouxSports.com Forum

SIOUX vs SPARTANS

AZSIOUX

Hmmm....girtlies....careful AZ, you might be in for a surprise if you take one of them home, haha...and don't let the girlfriend catch you if you do. :glare:

\im good, she was one ofthem i think :angry:

in PHILDO WE TRUST nice game phildo

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of my thoughts after re-watching the game...

-Lammy really struggled, didn't seem like his head was in the game at all

-Duncan looked out of place and sloppy, didn't click real well with the other guys...maybe he didn't work hard enough in the offseason (he's known for this)

-Finley, although one of the smaller guys on the ice, was ok most of the night

-Without Anderson, I'm not sure the Sioux could have won tonight

-To me, Sioux didn't look like a number one team...probably should switch conferences with Bemidji. It would work out best for both teams

Have a nice night, see you in Boston!!!! :glare:

man o man are watching the highlights of some gopher game or what? the sioux game has no comparision of what your talkin about. Lammy struggled??? if lammy struggled then the sioux finish 10th this season.a

ok maybe i just got a bag of sarcasm slapped against my head

:glare: They have "Fire Comley" posters like our "Fire Hak" posters! :angry:

Actually, they're worse. They've lived with Comley for 6 years as their head coach. We've got a few more years to go before we're at their level with Hakstol.

I didn't get to see the game tonight. I have a few questions:

1. Who played, Marto or LaPoint? Though I noticed he (whomever it is) didn't score a goal, how did he play?

2. How did Kozek do?

3. Was the call vs. Oshie legit?

4. Was the game as much of a blowout as the score describes?

1. Who played, Marto or LaPoint? Though I noticed he (whomever it is) didn't score a goal, how did he play?

2. How did Kozek do?

Read up a bit for answers to your first 2 questions.

I thought it was legit.

No, but the Sioux did beat State. Sioux had some good bounces (VandeVelde's and Duncan's goals as an example).

Actually, they're worse. They've lived with Comley for 6 years as their head coach. We've got a few more years to go before we're at their level with Hakstol.

2. How did Kozek do?

1> Lapoint. I thought he did well enough. He's got some more adjusting to do.

2. Kozek played very well both the physical side and puck handling.

3. I disagreed with the call. They were in the corner battling for the puck. Oshie gave him a shove and he went into the boards. (not even a check). I've never seen that called that way.

4. The game was closer, Lerg wasn't very good.

5. All in all I didn't think State looked very good.

6. I thought the referee's had a terrible first period, after that they were ok.

a. Disallowed goal. If you're going to disallow it do it right away. Don't wait for the other player #44 to start bitching then change your call. I do know that he and Radke were down on the ice when the puck went in, but I don't know who initiated the contact.

b. Oshie's penalty

c. Trupps Instigating penalty. Shameful. If you were serious about not wanting fighting in college then call the cheap stuff after the whistle. Don't make up something to call both sides.

2. How did Kozek do?

1. LaPoint played and overall I think he did fine for a freshman and a first real game. I believe that with a few more games under his belt he will be just fine.

2. I think coming into the Manitoba game as the extra forward caught Kozek's attention. He was very evident and his goal was a wrist rocket. It seemed to come out of nowhere and was by Lerg before he could react.

3. I thought the call could have been made boarding, but can't disagree with the CFB. It was more of a penalty than the BS call against RPI on Friday night in the Twin Cities.

4. Michigan State controlled a lot of the play in the first and second periods. The Sioux had difficulty getting the puck out of the zone and deep into the Michigan State zone. But starting late in the second the tide began to turn and the Sioux dominated the third period. As soon as MSU tried to push on offense the Sioux put them back on their heels. You can say Lerg did not have a good game, but the Sioux shooters were sniping. Oshie's goal was a beaut, Duncan's was lucky, Vande Velde may have gotten a good bounce off the glass but he cleanly picked the puck out of mid-air and knocked it home, Frattin's goal was a beaut and very quick, Kozek's goal was quick, and he probably didn't see Genoway's.

Also, I am very impressed with this freshman group. They are right in the thick of things and not overwhelmed at all. Frattin fits in well with Oshie and Duncan, Trupp could be a Duncan knockoff by the end-of-the-year with his hustle and grit, Malone is physical and skilled, and LaPoint is going to be fine.

As for the goalie J-P (formerly known as Lammy, Phil, Phyllis, etc) I thought he looked in absolute control, very confident, and never struggled with the puck, simply solid. There was really only one scramble in front of the net the entire game but that was because he controlled the rebounds and the defense cleaned things out.

I was really concerned how this team would react without Oshie, and it was a non-factor. This team has the potential to be something special. As for Kaip, we are seeing a totally different player out there. He is going to be a machine this year. My assessment for this year is: :D

Side notes: What the hell is up with the WCHA website? They have an article on SCSU ties Canisius and other meaningless games and nothing on the HOF game? It appears that the Gophers have lost Ryan Stoa for a while with a knee injury. MRI is scheduled for Monday.

I thought LaPointe struggled quite a bit. He is a freshman, and that was his first real game. He'll improve.

Kozek is starting to look like a #2 NHL pick. He played well with and without the puck.

The Oshie call is a tough one. Here is the problem, when a guy is trying to make a move and puts his back to you, you have to be able to shove him a little; what else are you going to do? The problem is where it happened, 5 feet off the boards aka break neck lane. If the State player is up against the boards, it is not called.

The game was not a blowout whatsoever. The first period was a hard-fought, physical contest. The Vandy goal was a lucky bounce, but it seemed to deflate State tremendously. Michigan State is a good team.

Thanks for the info.

I typed the question about the Oshie ejection before I saw RedFrog's videos. Seeing the video, I know that absolutely it was a penalty. It was a stupid penalty by Oshie. Was it a CFB? With the new rules and only the video as reference, I couldn't find sufficient means to argue against it. Though it was a shove, the MSU player went head first into the boards. He did a good job in selling the severity of the check laying motionless on the ice long enough for everyone to leave the zone.

Gennoway was very impressive last night. He could take the breakout play into a whole new level. How many times did he turn the puck up the ice rather than pass it back to the man behind the net?

And his jersey was stolen from me last night! Oh cruel God, why do you mock thee? :glare:

Since this was the first game of the season, it's probably worth taking a minute to shamelessly plug and point out the range of post-game coverage collected for you on SiouxSports.com:

SiouxSports.com blog features post-game reactions from our bloggers (thanks Dave!)

Wiki links to videos of the goals and other significant events from the game (thanks RedFrog!)

Front page links to all the news stories and blogs from around the web

And you've already found the message board game thread

UND junior goalie Jean-Philippe Lamoureux made 23 saves for his fifth career shutout. His best stops came the second period, on a deflection by MSU forward Matt Schepke and a subsequent rebound off the stick of Schepke.

I didn't realize Jean-Phillipe was granted a second year of junor eligibility.

6. I thought the referee's had a terrible first period, after that they were ok.

a. Disallowed goal. If you're going to disallow it do it right away. Don't wait for the other player #44 to start bitching then change your call. I do know that he and Radke were down on the ice when the puck went in, but I don't know who initiated the contact.

Radke skated right into the zone and tackled the State defender at the top of the crease. This opened the lane for Miller. Watch RedFrog's video link and you can see it clearly. It was a great football move. Wrong sport though.

Thanks for the info.

I typed the question about the Oshie ejection before I saw RedFrog's videos. Seeing the video, I know that absolutely it was a penalty. It was a stupid penalty by Oshie. Was it a CFB? With the new rules and only the video as reference, I couldn't find sufficient means to argue against it. Though it was a shove, the MSU player went head first into the boards. He did a good job in selling the severity of the check laying motionless on the ice long enough for everyone to leave the zone.

After reading this I went back and looked at the videos you referenced.

Oshie's CFB certainly looks worse in the video than it did at the time. Of course this is one more example of how silly the WCHA's rule is towards replays. If the video would have been shown there would have been less hostility to the refs. I guess if they're consistent to that standard it's ok.

The same goes towards the disallowed goal. Apparently the official closest to the net (Anderson) didn't see the interference. The official on top apparent did (S Sheppard). I would have liked to see Sheppard make the call right away rather than waiting. But maybe they'll work that out as they get used to the two referee system. I have to say that on balance this makes the new system better since they did get the call right, although I disagree with how they went about it.