SiouxSports.com Forum

Big news in the wind

PCM

So, once again, it would seem that mr. buning does not have to be responsible for his actions? This whole mess is someone elses fault? Ridiculous, simply ridiculous.

No one said that Buning was a good AD or doesn't deserve to be shown the door. As usual you have missed the point. I didn't place any blame on Mr. Martinsen because I don't know what really happen within the department, but I know one thing you don't do what Kupchella did and have good results. I find it interesting how everyone on this board was sticking up for Buning before the LOA and now they're throwing him under the bus. :lol:

• Replies 622
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll take that bet and bet my house and pension. You have no idea what has gone on nor how things have been handled. Martinson wasn't "put in" Bunings Dept. He was working for and advising Kupchella. Don't get all of your info from the media or the blogs.

So he wasn't working within the athletic department? No communication or interaction with coaches or anyone in athletics? Then he was a spy?

I know for a fact that without Dan Martinsen in that department, the wheels would have fallen off a long time ago. In a time where leadership and direction was non-existent, he came in and provided as much as he could, knowing full well that he doesn't know everything there is to know about athletic management. In my opinion, Dan is one of the best things to happen to UND Athletics in the last few years from a management stand point. He provides resources and credibility to a department that is not well thought of right now by its supporters.

I hope that Dan will stick around for a long time after this mess but I would be surprised if that was the case as he misses his grandchildren and his ranch back in the upper northwest.

No one said that Buning was a good AD or doesn't deserve to be shown the door. As usual you have missed the point. I didn't place any blame on Mr. Martinsen because I don't know what really happen within the department, but I know one thing you don't do what Kupchella did and have good results. I find it interesting how everyone on this board was sticking up for Buning before the LOA and now they're throwing him under the bus. :lol:

That's where you are wrong again, not everyone on this board defended buning, then turned around and threw him under the bus. There were plenty of people throwing him under the bus long before this leave of absence took effect.

So he wasn't working within the athletic department? No communication or interaction with coaches or anyone in athletics? Then he was a spy?

I am going to assume that you didn't read what was written. He wasn't working for any one in the athletic department. He obviously communicated with a lot of coaches, employees, athletes and alumni. His role was well outlined, and he did a lot to position UND to make the move to D1 with the necessary resources. There is no reason to belabor the point. I attended meetings with both of those guys present. The relationship was a cooperative one in the beginning and frankly there is no reason to air a lot of dirty laundry. I am not privy to all of the interactions within the athletic department. The issue was handled and you may certainly criticize how that was done but don't criticize the wrong people for the wrong reasons when you don't know what you are talking about.

I may be wrong, but I doubt you will be brought up to speed on any of the details of this issue and can't figure out why you would really care. Better get stoked up for the Gopher AC game instead. I have a bet on the AC.

I may be wrong, but I doubt you will be brought up to speed on any of the details of this issue ....

At least one BIG 'stakeholder' in UND wants details!!

Here's an e-mail from Sioux booster Jon Bonzer to Harmeson:

"The often referred to 'stakeholders' in University of North Dakota athletics are growing very restless and frustrated. The silence regarding Dr. Buning is deafening. Somebody has to do something. The talk on the street is not good, and the longer the silence continues, the worse it will beomce (sic).You need to know this; perhaps you already do. What's going on?

Again, it would be nice to know the date of the e-mail to provide some context. I certainly can't speak for Jon, but I suspect that may have been written pre-"leave of absence."

Perhaps but I read the email as a request to let the public know what is going on. We still don't know. Wait, I'll rephrase that. I, a non-insider, don't know.

I believe Martinsen's intentions and contributions are good. I would argue a volunteer shouldn't have nearly that much authority though. If Martinsen's expertise were necessary in that capacity-hire him! Even then it may be a mistake to have an intermediary between the president and the AD. If media reports are correct, that structure is unusual. Probably with good reason.

I believe Martinsen's intentions and contributions are good. I would argue a volunteer shouldn't have nearly that much authority though. If Martinsen's expertise were necessary in that capacity-hire him! Even then it may be a mistake to have an intermediary between the president and the AD. If media reports are correct, that structure is unusual. Probably with good reason.

Big organizations use consultant's all of the time, so I don't see where that is unusual. However, most of them get paid. I see it all of the time where I work, and they always seem to have a signifigant amount of influence. I'm not saying I agree or disagree with it, but at least for me it doesn't seem unusual.

UND would have probably hired Dan if he would let them. He doesn't need the money, why pay him if he doesn't want to be paid.

Now I'll put my Sid Hartman voice on. Dan's a close personal friend of my family and used to be a neighbor when he lived in Fargo. He is nothing but an asset for UND. Also, a great guy.

I'm setting myself up for attacks from all sides but, hey, when have I ever backed off from stating my opinion. :silly:

I don't know Martinsen. From what is posted here, the guy is brother to Mother Theresa. OK, I accept that he is well loved by those who know him. My opinion is based on what has been posted here and what I read and hear in the media.

I will likely never know the rationale for 'hiring' a volunteer that only answers to the President and who, from what has been posted here, appears to have considerable authority over the entire athletic department including the AD.

Based on the following, I have come to my own conclusion that Martinsen, from the time he was 'apppointed', has been working behind the scenes to make Buning history,

1) Posts on SS.com made by members who profess to know what is going on behind the scenes post information that I have concluded came from Martinsen,

and, the one that stands alone for me,

2) information sent to Martinsen in an email which was posted on SS.com the same day it was sent to Martinsen.

I know nothing about Buning's work performance other than what has been posted on SS.com and in the media. He may well deserve to be fired. I don't know. I do know that the 'behind the scenes' shenanigans that appears to have been going on for months is unprofessional. There are rules, regulations, policies and procedures in place to get rid of someone who is not doing their job. The way this is being handled is disgusting.

Flame away!!!!

I'm setting myself up for attacks from all sides but, hey, when have I ever backed off from stating my opinion. :silly:

I don't know Martinsen. From what is posted here, the guy is brother to Mother Theresa. OK, I accept that he is well loved by those who know him. My opinion is based on what has been posted here and what I read and hear in the media.

I will likely never know the rationale for 'hiring' a volunteer that only answers to the President and who, from what has been posted here, appears to have considerable authority over the entire athletic department including the AD.

Based on the following, I have come to my own conclusion that Martinsen, from the time he was 'apppointed', has been working behind the scenes to make Buning history,

1) Posts on SS.com made by members who profess to know what is going on behind the scenes post information that I have concluded came from Martinsen,

2) Posts on SS.com with information not yet public regarding the hiring of the woman's hockey coach,

and, the one that stands alone for me,

3) information sent to Martinsen in an email which was posted on SS.com the same day it was sent to Martinsen.

I know nothing about Buning's work performance other than what has been posted on SS.com and in the media. He may well deserve to be fired. I don't know. I do know that the 'behind the scenes' shenanigans that appears to have been going on for months is unprofessional. There are rules, regulations, policies and procedures in place to get rid of someone who is not doing their job. The way this is being handled is disgusting.

Flame away!!!!

It just seems like there are many pieces of this puzzle that are still missing. Maybe once this is all over with we will be able to see the whole picture.

It just seems like there are many pieces of this puzzle that are still missing. Maybe once this is all over with we will be able to see the whole picture.

I sure hope so. I love my alma matre and I hate what is happening or rather, how this is happening.

I believe at least seven of the 18 head coaches at UND were hired by Buning. One would think that if he had been doing an adequate job, he would at least have had their support, and his performance review would have been much higher than it was. If I remember correctly, the Herald article on the survey contained only one positive comment about his job performance, and that was from an assistant coach.

I believe at least seven of the 18 head coaches at UND were hired by Buning. One would think that if he had been doing an adequate job, he would at least have had their support, and his performance review would have been much higher than it was. If I remember correctly, the Herald article on the survey contained only one positive comment about his job performance, and that was from an assistant coach.

I'm not talking about Buning's job performance. I'm talking about the circus/freak show we're calling his firing.

I'm not talking about Buning's job performance. I'm talking about the circus/freak show we're calling his firing.

Well, I'm still trying to figure out what Buning expected to gain by taking his "leave of absence." It dragged this thing out much longer than necessary, and largely created the "circus" IMO. He is going to get a buyout of his contract whether he took the "leave of absence" or not. I'm quite sure several alums are/were willing to write a check to make him go away. Terry Wanless knew what he was doing by going away quietly, and he landed on his feet again. After this episode, I think Buning will have a much tougher time finding another job in college athletics administration than Wanless did, and it took Wanless a long time to find another good job.

Well, I'm still trying to figure out what Buning expected to gain by taking his "leave of absence." It dragged this thing out much longer than necessary, and largely created the "circus" IMO. He is going to get a buyout of his contract whether he took the "leave of absence" or not. I'm quite sure several alums are/were willing to write a check to make him go away. Terry Wanless knew what he was doing by going away quietly, and he landed on his feet again. After this episode, I think Buning will have a much tougher time finding another job in college athletics administration than Wanless did, and it took Wanless a long time to find another good job.

Keep muddying the waters, I won't go away. Believe me when I say, I'm not the only one who feels this way............

Keep muddying the waters, I won't go away. Believe me when I say, I'm not the only one who feels this way............

Trust me, I'm not trying to muddy the waters. But so long as you continue to rip Martinsen, I and others will come right back to the real issue, and that's Buning's job performance. If you don't approve of the way he was apparently fired, that's your prerogative. I guess I consider continually bringing up the Martinsen angle, to the extent there even is one, to be muddying the waters, but maybe that's just me. :silly: Heck, as long as you're at it, don't forget about Buning's other excuses, namely Roger Thomas and the "mascot issue" (Buning's words, not mine).