SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Join Great West

GeauxSioux

UND FOOTBALL: What a Great (West) start

Both schools agreed to a five-year membership in the Great West, an NCAA Football Championship Subdivision (previously Division I-AA) league.

But it's possible the league may have more than five members by the end of UND's five-year commitment.

There have been rumors the University of San Diego could become a Great West member.

San Diego currently is a non-scholarship FCS program. This season, however, San Diego scheduled two FCS scholarship programs. The Toreros will play UC Davis and Northern Colorado.

Great West commissioner Ed Grom said the league is considering further expansion.

So I assume that this means we will be playing all GWFC members in 2008 rather than 2 of the 3 current members as was announced earlier this summer. I hope that the GWFC straightens out there conference schedule. I believe some teams (SDSU I believe) had to travel for 3 conference games and only had 1 home conference game. Did they fix that for this years teams?

Apparently not.

League scheduling uncertain in first season

"There's still some uncertainty about all the scheduling issues (for 2008), but we're going to work our tails off to see that we make this as complete as possible."

The Coyotes and Fighting Sioux will be eligible to compete for the regular-season Great West title in 2008. But it's not guaranteed that the new members will play a full round-robin schedule that first year.

"We certainly anticipate and hope that we'll have four (conference) games, but things don't always work out," said Nielsen, adding that scheduling discussions are ongoing.

"It's logical to think that if you take two schools out and put two in, you could just match up the schedules. But it's not quite that simple."

The Coyotes will be a "non-counter" in 2008, meaning other Football Championship Subdivision schools that schedule them will not receive credit for playing an FCS team that week.

But Nielsen said the biggest obstacle is trying to work out home and away dates with schools that already have contractual agreements in place.

"If we go up against a guaranteed game they have with a (Bowl Championship Subdivision) school, they're obviously not going to let that go," he said. "Even if it doesn't work out, though, there are scenarios we discussed that still allow us to play for a conference title."

Is this the same conference that Sioux fans loved to discredit back in 2004? :D

If only because Bison fans were certain that they were locks for the Big Sky at the time.

Apparently, with the five year commitment, I'm as guilty on UND's BSC prospects as Bison fans were about their school's BSC prospects. :blush:

Yesterday Lennon commented that UND's 2008 schedule may be issued shortly, so scheduling appears to be going very well, even with limited "conference" games.

If only because Bison fans were certain that they were locks for the Big Sky at the time.

Apparently, with the five year commitment, I'm as guilty on UND's BSC prospects as Bison fans were about their school's BSC prospects. :blush:

Yesterday Lennon commented that UND's 2008 schedule may be issued shortly, so scheduling appears to be going very well, even with limited "conference" games.

Two seperate issues - most Sioux fans trashed the GWFC when it started and that's a fact.

UND's press release...

UND to join Great West Football Conference in 2008 season

Sounds like this will be home for a while.

Not that they would want to, but if something else opened up, ie: all sports conference invite, couldn't UND leave before the 5 years? I'm sure an exit fee would be in place if that happened, but there would be an out with a price right?

Two seperate issues - most Sioux fans trashed the GWFC when it started and that's a fact.

Actually reading this thread, there were a few fans who bashed it, some congratulated NDSU for setting up so quickly and others wondered what happed with the other sports. It wasn't the bashfest you're making it out to be.

Since the very beginning of the Great West conference, Bison fans have said that the Great West is an unbeleivably strong conference. Since the Sioux and USD are better teams now than the Bison and SDSU were when they entered the Great West Conference, I'm sure Bison fans will really be singing the praises of the Great West now. The Great West must really a powerhouse now. And that's a fact Dan.

Since the very beginning of the Great West conference, Bison fans have said that the Great West is an unbeleivably strong conference. Since the Sioux and USD are better teams now than the Bison and SDSU were when they entered the Great West Conference, I'm sure Bison fans will really be singing the praises of the Great West now. The Great West must really a powerhouse now. And that's a fact Dan.

It is this year that's for sure!

Are there any other prospective members on the horizon?

Pure rumor/speculation with no facts to back it up, but some have suggested Sac State as a possible GWFC member in addition to San Diego. The logic is that membership in the Big West for all other sports would reduce Sac State's travel costs while maintaing a similar level of competition to the Big Sky. They would lose the football autobid, but it's not like Sac State has been contending for it anyway. However, Sac State seems to have FBS aspirations and wants in the WAC, so unless Sac State gets hit with a Clu-stickTM, they'll probably stay where they are.

So I assume that this means we will be playing all GWFC members in 2008 rather than 2 of the 3 current members as was announced earlier this summer. This is a good development for UND. It guarantees an extra game against good competition in 2008 that we weren't sure we would have earlier this summer when the original plan of a "limited schedule" was discussed. More importantly it gives Coach Lennon and his players the opportunity to pursue a conference championship right off the bat. Now I just hope that the GWFC straightens out there conference schedule. I believe some teams (SDSU I believe) had to travel for 3 conference games and only had 1 home conference game. Did they fix that for this years teams?

The GWFC has been struggling with the home/away balance issue since the conference began. With membership changes every two years, they just can't seem to catch a break. I wouldn't be suprised to see an imbalance during the 2008 season, but it should be worked out by 2009. Of course, if they're are more additions/subtractions, that goes out the window...again.

Congrats to the Sioux, and Coyotes! And good for the future of the GreatWest. Although we couldn't pass up the opprotunity we have with the Gateway, I couldn't help but feel bad for the GWFC. Both of these schools will be great additions for the stength of the conference. And hopefully you can convince a couple more to follow!!

Is this the same conference that Sioux fans loved to discredit back in 2004? :blush:

I trashed it back then and I will trash it now.

It's really not even a conference. It has what only 3 teams besides the two new members of UND/USD.

It is a Temporary Schedule Allieance. That is all it is. No autobid. Nothing.

The upside. The other 3 teams are pretty darn good (at least 2).

I trashed it back then and I will trash it now.

It's really not even a conference. It has what only 3 teams besides the two new members of UND/USD.

It is a Temporary Schedule Allieance. That is all it is. No autobid. Nothing.

The upside. The other 3 teams are pretty darn good (at least 2).

when 08 comes there won't be AT LEAST 2 pretty darn good teams there will be 2 pretty darn good teams. SUU has nothing

While the Great West may not have many members or an automatic qualifier, it does have a few perks. Buning has stated that his intentions are to join the Great West (check) and the Summit League. By getting into the GW this quickly, it establishes a relationship with Southern Utah University. SUU just so happens to also be a member of the Summit League. On top of that, the current Summit League commissioner, Tom Douple, was previously the athletic director at SUU. He played a big role in forming the GWFC. The Summit League happens to also run the GWFC. Douple has stated that he would like to see the connection between the Great West and the Summit grow. I am sure he was sad to see the SUs move to the Gateway.

On a side note, I wouldn't be surprised to see UND and USD make a similar announcement soon that they will become affiliate members of the Summit in swimming and diving. With the loss of Valparaiso, the Summit is down to only 6 schools who sponsor S&D. Besides, someone has to knock off Oakland!

Summit S&D

Centenary

Eastern Illinois

IUPUI

Oakland

South Dakota State

Western Illinois

Not that I'm thinking of a way out of the Great West, as I think it is great for the guys to have something to play for during the transition, but I wonder what the requirements are for the 5 year commitment. For instance, what constitutes a conference? If one or both of the California schools left or SUU became a member of the Big Sky, would we still be required to membership? With all that happened conference-wise in the past 5 years, there are bound to be more changes and moves being made.

From what I've read on other boards, U of San Diego doesn't appear likely to join the Great West and there don't appear to be a lot of Western Dvision II teams making the move to Division I, so 5 may be a maximum number for this conference.

• 1 month later...
REPORT OF THE DIVISION I FOOTBALL CHAMPIONSHIP COMMITTEE - SEP07

WHEN the GWFC meets core member requirements there may be an opportunity to pick up an conference "autobid".

I'd rather see some expansion and/or consolidation of some of the conferences, allowing for divisional play and conference championship games with an autobid on the line. Leave it at 16, IMHO.

• 2 months later...

There is a group of people that are pushing to get football back as a varsity sport at Cal State Fullerton. The Great West would obviously be about the only conference they would have to look at. Steve Mariucci, a CSUF alum, is apparently one of the big supporters behind this. There is going to be a "Town Hall Meeting" on the subject on Nov. 29th led by either their University President or their Student Body President.

Bring Back Cal State Fullerton Football Online Petition

CSUF Titan Message Board

Look at what's posted under the football heading. haha

There is a group of people that are pushing to get football back as a varsity sport at Cal State Fullerton. The Great West would obviously be about the only conference they would have to look at. Steve Mariucci, a CSUF alum, is apparently one of the big supporters behind this. There is going to be a "Town Hall Meeting" on the subject on Nov. 29th led by either their University President or their Student Body President.

CSUF Titan Message Board

This guy is a good friend of both the UND and CSUF programs.

There is a group of people that are pushing to get football back as a varsity sport at Cal State Fullerton. The Great West would obviously be about the only conference they would have to look at.

They are looking at non-scholarship football. If they did add football, I don't think the GWFC would consider them or San Diego until they made a commitment to start funding scholarships.

CSUF Titan Message Board

If CSU-Fullerton's President is behind it maybe it has a chance. But typically, the commuter make-up of most Southern California universities don't generate much school loyalty. Alumni of UC-Davis and Cal Poly, which are more traditional campuses, seem to have much more loyalty toward their schools. If the lack of a NFL team doesn't seem to concern Los Angeles and Orange County citizens, why would they support a IAA or low IA team?. Even USC and UCLA don't really draw all that well. Every few years, a petition drive starts at these schools but sputters.

2001: UC-Santa Barbara Faces Several Obstacles in Path Toward Reinstating Football Santa Barbara is probably one of the wealthiest areas in the country: but apathetic toward football. UCSB now uses their on-campus football stadium for their nationally prominent soccer teams.

[url=http://www.newuniversity.org/showArticle.php?id=4841]2006: The History of UC Irvine