SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Join Great West

GeauxSioux

SloStang,

Thanks for the warm welcome...personally I look forward to one last year of NCC play and hopefully NC play. The next few years will certainly be exciting.

GO SIOUX

Everyone else,

A small correction on the GWFC media release - Full Version

North Dakota won or shared 23 league titles, the last coming in 2005, while South Dakota won or shared 10 titles, the

last coming in 2006.

IIRC...the bolded portions (2005 and 2006) should be switched. At least they did not refer to us as the University of North Dakota State Fighting Bison.

UND's press release...

UND to join Great West Football Conference in 2008 season

By officially joining the conference now, UND and USD will participate in all conference meetings during the 2007-08 academic year and be eligible to vote on any issues that become effective with the 2008-09 academic year. Both UND and USD will be members of the Great West Football Conference for a minimum period of five years.
Sounds like this will be home for a while.

I am hoping UND and USD go first and second in DII this year. I am looking forward to my first visit to the Alerus Center. How is the tailgating at UND?

I've only been tailgating once and had a great time. I'm heading back up for a game in November this year. There is a thread regarding game day atmosphere at the Alerus/Canad complex, as the Canad just opened.

So I assume that this means we will be playing all GWFC members in 2008 rather than 2 of the 3 current members as was announced earlier this summer. This is a good development for UND. It guarantees an extra game against good competition in 2008 that we weren't sure we would have earlier this summer when the original plan of a "limited schedule" was discussed. More importantly it gives Coach Lennon and his players the opportunity to pursue a conference championship right off the bat. Now I just hope that the GWFC straightens out there conference schedule. I believe some teams (SDSU I believe) had to travel for 3 conference games and only had 1 home conference game. Did they fix that for this years teams?

So I assume that this means we will be playing all GWFC members in 2008 rather than 2 of the 3 current members as was announced earlier this summer.

In the first year of the GWFC all schools were considered to be full members, but there was not a full round robin schedule (until St Mary's dropped football and schedules were changed). I am guessing the GWFC might just be announcing UND/USD as full members to get the autobid clock ticking even if UND/USD don't play all schools the first year.

In the first year of the GWFC all schools were considered to be full members, but there was not a full round robin schedule (until St Mary's dropped football and schedules were changed). I am guessing the GWFC might just be announcing UND/USD as full members to get the autobid clock ticking even if UND/USD don't play all schools the first year.

Six active DI members are required to start the autobid clock ticking. If the GWFC could get another active DI member, then the GWFC could qualify for an autobid in the third year of the UxD's active (not core) DI status, which would be 2014.

Are there any other prospective members on the horizon?

There has been alot of speculation about the University of San Diego adding scholarships and possibly being interested in the GWFC. Whether there is anything to that, I have no idea. With no autobid to offer, the only likely expansion candidates would probably have to be other DII move-ups.

What are Central and Western Washington going to do? I've heard what all of the other NCC teams are doing except those two. Are they possibly looking at moving up?

They will be in the GNAC (Great Northwest Athletic Conference) in 2008. The members are Humbolt State University, Dixie State College, Central Washington, Western Washington and Western Oregon.