SiouxSports.com Forum

Buning Problem?

siouxman68

To the extent this has been a problem at UND--and I have no idea whether or not it has been--is now really the time you'd want to take the chance of alienating many of the very same people you're counting on to fund the division I move?

If this is a problem at UND, shouldn't it be addressed, regardless of the timing?

At other schools, the people who are predisposed to become "alienated" or "disenchanted" are predominately locals who lose influence that often was never proportionate to the benefits that they brought to the table (i.e. whiners). Perhaps this is just my conjecture, the new DI funding sources may very well be outstate alumni who have much less vested concern in the current status quo. What is needed by everyone is the maturity and patience to hear all sides of an issue.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure but I think it should start with everyone taking a look in the mirror and asking themselves how many times a day on average do they post on any given message board and how many days they can go without having to make a post on a message board. That would be the first clue. So even though I'm not sure, I think it can be pretty obvious in some cases (case in point, let's wait to see how long it takes for a response). I'm sorry if I struck a nerve and I'm sure I'll get ripped for my comments but the hardest thing is acceptance.

Now I better stop posting before I get suckered into this category.

Posts per day are part of your profile.

If this is a problem at UND, shouldn't it be addressed, regardless of the timing?

At other schools, the people who are predisposed to become "alienated" or "disenchanted" are predominately locals who lose influence that often was never proportionate to the benefits that they brought to the table (i.e. whiners). Perhaps this is just my conjecture, the new DI funding sources may very well be outstate alumni who have much less vested concern in the current status quo. What is needed by everyone is the maturity and patience to hear all sides of an issue.

I think the key word is "if." Who exactly is contending that there is a problem at UND in this regard? Personally, I don't think there is.

I think the key word is "if." Who exactly is contending that there is a problem at UND in this regard? Personally, I don't think there is.

Some of the posters in this form who have been complaining about Buning are exactly the type of issues that Foley at Florida and Jurich at Louisville faced. BTW, I'm not comparing UND to Florida or Louisvile or Buning to those two AD's. People have a right to complain, but rarely is it done constructively.

Some of the posters in this form who have been complaining about Buning are exactly the type of issues that Foley at Florida and Jurich at Louisville faced. BTW, I'm not comparing UND to Florida or Louisvile or Buning to those two AD's. People have a right to complain, but rarely is it done constructively.

My two cents is this--if Joe Alumni tries to put pressure on an a.d. to retain a once-successful coach whose time has clearly passed, that's a good example of somebody attempting to exert influence in a foolish manner. I believe that has happened at UND in the past, and obviously the a.d. turned out to be correct in his eventual decision. With that said, obviously that's not to say that a.d.'s don't sometimes make mistakes in the way they deal with current and potential donors. I just don't necessarily buy the argument that such complaints can be explained away by labeling the complainants as part of a "good ole boys" club. As an example, I (and many others) didn't really appreciate the comments by Mr. Buning during the men's basketball hiring process when he responded to questions about the required qualifications which all-but-eliminated all local candidates:

"People debate whether those are the proper qualifications, but they're not looking at the best interests of the university, the players and the future players we want here," Buning said.

Disagreement is fine, but it seems rather foolish for an a.d. to make condescending remarks like that.

As an example, I (and many others) didn't really appreciate the comments by Mr. Buning during the men's basketball hiring process when he responded to questions about the required qualifications which all-but-eliminated all local candidates:

Disagreement is fine, but it seems rather foolish for an a.d. to make condescending remarks like that.

Even after Craig Smith took Mayville State to the NAIA Division II finals, why didn't he get a head coaching offer from any DII school, even a low level one like Bemidji? With his CSU assistant spot and if he get's his Master's there, he will now have a shot at a head coach position at the DII level, or maybe even low DI like UND.

Face it, Craig Smith was at least two slots below what UND needed to have credibility with conferences and other coaches for scheduling, and for recruiting (his previous position would have been used against him). The unwrittens rules are, a head coach at NAIA Div 2 < NAIA Div 1 < NCAA DII < NCAA DI transition, with each being a jump up.

It's a slow day.

Here's something to read other than UND Sports information on AreaVoices. I hope you all enjoy it.

Seems some may have missed the point, from AreaVoices:

I was reminded of this rumor after hearing a few nasty accusations about the source not too long ago, accusations that, if they convince the right people, could damage a career. I can't really be more specific than that, but I'll give you an example of the power of whispers.

don't complain. The biggest thing that has happened in Lansford lately is the annual Street Dance. which wasn't that exciting.

Yeah I suppose you do have a point. :) last night it was the WoO and Donny Schatz and Steve Kinser coming to town...

Yeah I suppose you do have a point. :) last night it was the WoO and Donny Schatz and Steve Kinser coming to town...

LOL.

Siouxmama, yep I haven't seen them in a couple of weeks, but I am always at work.

"the source"- How would we start a show called Lost when we didn't lose one of the people that you mentioned and another we will find out in a year? I realize that you all have your sources, but I will believe it when it comes from the coaches and/or the ad. until then a rumor is just a rumor. if you can't back it up then don't expect us to believe, too many people on here from small towns.

LOL.

Siouxmama, yep I haven't seen them in a couple of weeks, but I am always at work.

"the source"- How would we start a show called Lost when we didn't lose one of the people that you mentioned and another we will find out in a year? I realize that you all have your sources, but I will believe it when it comes from the coaches and/or the ad. until then a rumor is just a rumor. if you can't back it up then don't expect us to believe, too many people on here from small towns.

Ignorance is Bliss, I know you will have a nice relaxing summer. For those of us who have a clue of what is going on around Grand Forks and UND. This could be far from relaxing!

ps What do you have when there are 26 Lansford townfolk in a room? A full set of teeth. :)

ps What do you have when there is 26 Lansford townfolk in a room? A full set of teath. :)

You're not doing your credibility any service here. I'd suggest you invest in a grammar and spell checker.

You're not doing your credibility any service here. I'd suggest you invest in a grammar and spell checker.

Thanks Teach But I don't need no help from you city folk? Also I do not need any credibility on this board I will leave that to the people who feel impowered to critique othere peoples posts. :p

Even after Craig Smith took Mayville State to the NAIA Division II finals, why didn't he get a head coaching offer from any DII school, even a low level one like Bemidji? With his CSU assistant spot and if he get's his Master's there, he will now have a shot at a head coach position at the DII level, or maybe even low DI like UND.

Face it, Craig Smith was at least two slots below what UND needed to have credibility with conferences and other coaches for scheduling, and for recruiting (his previous position would have been used against him). The unwrittens rules are, a head coach at NAIA Div 2 < NAIA Div 1 < NCAA DII < NCAA DI transition, with each being a jump up.

I have no problem, even in retrospect, with the fact that Smith didn't get the UND job. Sure, I think he warranted an interview, but such is life. What I did have a problem with was the a.d.'s above-referenced comments, which came after a process that gave us a less-than-stellar list of finalists (Jones did end up being a good hire IMO, though). I believe you yourself even posted something to the effect that "this was a dII list." I just don't care for Buning's propensity for speaking first, thinking about the consequences later.

I have no problem, even in retrospect, with the fact that Smith didn't get the UND job. Sure, I think he warranted an interview, but such is life. What I did have a problem with was the a.d.'s above-referenced comments, which came after a process that gave us a less-than-stellar list of finalists (Jones did end up being a good hire IMO, though). I believe you yourself even posted something to the effect that "this was a dII list." I just don't care for Buning's propensity for speaking first, thinking about the consequences later.
I was disappointed in the finalists, but in retrospect, the job was probably Jones' all along.

Two more people from the athletic dept. with local ties to UND quit this week.

Make a list of UND Lost

Rob, Chris, Sara and Laura

Almost lost Dale

and Hak has less then a year on his contract. How does this end? We could start our own show. The Lost!

Just so I'm clear on your opinion, if Dale would have left in 2002 for Sacramento State would that have been Buning's fault too?