SiouxSports.com Forum

Toews Watch

Goon

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am hoping big Joe stays one more year. I think that Toews will sign and he might just be not signing to get a better deal. There is no rush to sign since Chicago isn't in the playoffs.

Does anybody anticipate that chicago would offer him anything other than the rookie max?

That's what I am thinking. But you never know with Chicago.

my guess is that they would give him a max deal. I cant imagine why not. i think that toews might feel like he could develop another year. if it is over the contract, it might be an issue of incentives or nhl playing time...i dont know. its a lot easier to leave too early than too late.

my predictions on the dman that is supposedly gone: lee. that is only because of the rumor mill on SS though. the only real advantage with that departure would be taking off some the pressure of the 2008 class because of the size it will be.

Is Toews worth the rookie max? Yes.

Is Chicago dumb enough to try to low-ball Toews? Yes.

Is Chicago cheap enough to try to low-ball Toews? Yes.

Is Toews smart enough to realize he's worth more than a low-ball offer? Yes.

Does Toews have some leverage in this? Yes*.

Does Toews have some other leverage in this? Yes**.

Will Toews use it? ... only Toews knows ...

* Jack Johnson effectively forced CAR to trade his draft rights to LAK.

** On August 1, 2009, if he stays in college and he's not signed by CHI he's a free agent (limited to rookie max money).

Is Toews worth the rookie max? Yes.

Is Chicago dumb enough to try to low-ball Toews? Yes.

Is Chicago cheap enough to try to low-ball Toews? Yes.

Is Toews smart enough to realize he's worth more than a low-ball offer? Yes.

Does Toews have some leverage in this? Yes*.

Does Toews have some other leverage in this? Yes**.

Will Toews use it? ... only Toews knows ...

* Jack Johnson effectively forced CAR to trade his draft rights to LAK.

** On August 1, 2009, if he stays in college and he's not signed by CHI he's a free agent (limited to rookie max money).

Do I hope that Toews has 8-1-2009 in mind? Yes***

*** That would be really cool. :)

Like a certain team located about four hours east of Chi-town? :)

Detroit wouldn't be a bad place for him. :wink:

But isn't Columbus not too far off too? Wouldn't want him there.

I was thinking teams like:

Anaheim

Detroit

Nashville

Vancouver

NJ

NYR

Buffalo

Calgary

San Jose

Tampa Bay

I think NJ could get rid of some of their big $$ talent. I don't know whom it is that has a shorter term contract, but say...

Gomez

some AHL bum

to Chicago for:

Rights to Toews

2007 2nd round pick

Detroit wouldn't be a bad place for him. :wink:

But isn't Columbus not too far off too? Wouldn't want him there.

I was thinking teams like:

Anaheim

Detroit

Nashville

Vancouver

NJ

NYR

Buffalo

Calgary

San Jose

Tampa Bay

I think NJ could get rid of some of their big $$ talent. I don't know whom it is that has a shorter term contract, but say...

Gomez

some AHL bum

to Chicago for:

Rights to Toews

2007 2nd round pick

The Blues could have used their #1 overall pick last year and took JT instead of ej. Then they could have inked Duncan to a free agent deal, and kept the DOT line together for at least 3 more years. :D

Did you watch games five and six this past weekend, redwing77? I've been a Wings fan since Stevie Y was appointed the captain back when they were the Dead Things. If DRW wins the Stanley Cup this year, it'll only bum me out more that #19 decided not to come back this season.

Note the following Blackhawks press release announcing four Hawks to Play at the World Championships. Toews isn't even in their organization yet, and as an unsigned prospect they are promoting him ahead of the top players on their roster.

http://www.chicagoblackhawks.com/news/news.asp?story_id=3840

Good paragraph on Toews at the 2007 world junior championships.

Did you watch games five and six this past weekend, redwing77? I've been a Wings fan since Stevie Y was appointed the captain back when they were the Dead Things. If DRW wins the Stanley Cup this year, it'll only bum me out more that #19 decided not to come back this season.

Alas, I've only caught bits and pieces. My crappy TV provider (I don't get Midcontinent or CableOne OR satellite) doesn't provide me with Versus so I only get NHL games when FSN covers them (crappy Wild games) or if they are on NBC (rarity) or if I go over to my folks place.

I wish though. It's been quite exciting. I miss Stevie Y as well. He really added character to the team. He was the definition of what a Captain should be. Stevie was my fave. Close behind is Lidstrom. All time that I've seen on TV (only seen one Red Wing game live) I LOVED Konstantinov. For an undersized defenseman, he hit like a semi truck. Datsyuk and Zetterberg are turning into the real deal. Interesting that neither was drafted higher than the 6th round.

When Kessel played for team USA last year, it seemed like he was seeking one final validation he could play with the best in the world. JT should clearly know by now the same thing. If he returns, it is one of two things. UND is either paying him more than the Black Hawks can or he is strongly considering a power play to get out of that rediculous organization who drafted him far earlier than the CBA would allow.

When Kessel played for team USA last year, it seemed like he was seeking one final validation he could play with the best in the world. JT should clearly know by now the same thing. If he returns, it is one of two things. UND is either paying him more than the Black Hawks can or he is strongly considering a power play to get out of that rediculous organization who drafted him far earlier than the CBA would allow.

Ewwww!!! Agreeing with a Gopher fan. Ewwww!!!!

Or looking to borrow sweaters from Chorney, Duncan or Oshie. :)

Certainly with his skill level he could go pro, so if he stays it is because he is enjoying th experience.