SiouxSports.com Forum

Toews Watch

Goon

• Replies 694
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, so we all KNOW that he is gone. Personally, I'll just go to bed at night dreaming about the DOT line making another run at title #8 in '08. :D I think I heard the Lucia pet say it best about kids leaving college early for the pros. DOMINATE at this level, then go on to the next one. I haven't seen any domination out of our boys yet, so by that definition, they should stay. :lol:

I think Marc Chorney says it best:

"The excitement of pro hockey wears off quickly when you know it's a business," Marc Chorney said. "Once you turn pro, you can't go back to your college days. It's hard to tell that to a young person when the opportunity is right there in front of him and it's his dream to play in the NHL.

"Among those I know who played college and pro hockey, it's unanimous that the longer you can stay in school, grow up and mature, the better player you'll be when you turn pro," Marc said. "I tell that to everybody, not just my son."

OK, so we all KNOW that he is gone. Personally, I'll just go to bed at night dreaming about the DOT line making another run at title #8 in '08. :D I think I heard the Lucia pet say it best about kids leaving college early for the pros. DOMINATE at this level, then go on to the next one. I haven't seen any domination out of our boys yet, so by that definition, they should stay. :lol:

hey, if osh stays and duncs, just add TRUPP and maybe we will have "DOT the 2nd coming" :D

Just show them a tape of the Super Bowl. Sticking around didn't seem to hurt Peyton Manning any.

HUH? football players have to stay 3 years no matter what in college..the nhl draft is so different than the other 3 sports

I heard a rumor today that Toews wants to finish college? Anyone else hear this? I heard it from my dad who lives in GF. He said there have been rumors Oshie and Toews are staying put? I don't want to get excited. It sure would be fun if we could have the foundation of one of our teams stay together more than two years.

Does anyone else on here who is out in the real world now think players should think twice about leaving college? This is a serious question and I think Marc Chorney makes a great point. It would be nice if pro teams actually thought more about the players lives rather than their bottom line. I guess players are doing the same when they decide to leave early but it would be a nice change if they actually let the players know how difficult it will be for them to actually go back and finish school if something changes with there hockey careers in the pros.

Maybe these guys don't really care about their college years but they were some of the best times of my life. Going to work, playing pro, ASAP seems kinda crappy to me but I probably would think otherwise if I had $1M offered to me??? These guys can never get this time of their lives back. I don't get why they all think they need to grow up so quick? Maybe I am just being a meathead in thinking this way since I loved playing hockey more than anything when I was playing all the time.

I heard a rumor today that Toews wants to finish college? Anyone else hear this? I heard it from my dad who lives in GF. He said there have been rumors Oshie and Toews are staying put? I don't want to get excited. It sure would be fun if we could have the foundation of one of our teams stay together more than two years.

Does anyone else on here who is out in the real world now think players should think twice about leaving college? This is a serious question and I think Marc Chorney makes a great point. It would be nice if pro teams actually thought more about the players lives rather than their bottom line. I guess players are doing the same when they decide to leave early but it would be a nice change if they actually let the players know how difficult it will be for them to actually go back and finish school if something changes with there hockey careers in the pros.

Maybe these guys don't really care about their college years but they were some of the best times of my life. Going to work, playing pro, ASAP seems kinda crappy to me but I probably would think otherwise if I had $1M offered to me??? These guys can never get this time of their lives back. I don't get why they all think they need to grow up so quick? Maybe I am just being a meathead in thinking this way since I loved playing hockey more than anything when I was playing all the time.

thats great in all but when a kid is ready he is ready, im sure there are a few exceptions out there but toews is different than most. he is a big time nhl prospect, #3 overall pick and ect........who knows really but i think hes good as gone....lets just be real, we were lucky to watch him for 2 years

if there is a hockey god, he will grant us 4 years of toews and oshie.. i myself am just hoping for 3! i hope they really consider the teams they will be going to arent going to do jack sH$t anytime soon in the nhl and hope they realize they could be serious contenders for a national championship if they stay.

I know everyone is ready to call Toews gone, but I really wouldn't be shocked if he stayed.

Shocked, no I wouldn't be either, I suspect Jonathon very much appreciates his experience the last 2 years. I just realize the logical decision seems to be to go pro. But I would be happy if he stayed... :lol: (If Hak could find room on the roster :silly: )

Most likely he will go pro, but he wouldn't be the first player of his caliber to stay beyond his sophomore year.

Even JMFJ left after his sophomore year didn't he? Almost all top ten NHL picks are one or two years and gone. I really do like the scenerio where Toews just says screw the Black Hawks and plays his four years and becomes a free agent. In reality I'd guess if Toews made that intention clear to the Black Hawks he'd get traded and sign after next year, but at least that gets him one more year in the WCHA. Not that I'll miss him a bunch.

Even JMFJ left after his sophomore year didn't he? Almost all top ten NHL picks are one or two years and gone. I really do like the scenerio where Toews just says screw the Black Hawks and plays his four years and becomes a free agent. In reality I'd guess if Toews made that intention clear to the Black Hawks he'd get traded and sign after next year, but at least that gets him one more year in the WCHA. Not that I'll miss him a bunch.

Oh my god, that would be AWESOME! Maybe he could get traded to a team that, you know, has a winning culture to it? A team that does everything to put a winning team on the ice every year? A team that doesn't suck?

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/hockey/blac...T-len08.article

4. Lower expectations for Toews

Tallon had hoped that Jonathan Toews, the third overall pick in last year's draft, would turn pro after his college season ended at North Dakota. However, North Dakota went to the NCAA's Frozen Four, and that made it too late to sign him for this season. Toews is talented but he's still a kid, and he may not even be the best player on his team. He's not going to turn the Hawks around right away, and to suggest that he might only will create undue pressure that could slow his development.

Here are my arguments for why he should stay:

1. He's only 18, he'll be 19 soon... other than the fact that he is just flat out young, what's he gonna do after practice when all his teammates go home to families or out to the bars... who's he gonna hang out with?

2. Team Canada will certainly need a captain for the World Juniors this year.... by the way, where are they? Who can turn down the possibility of a third gold medal?

3. Chicago isn't that good.... why not stay with a competitive team and go to another Frozen Four (fingers crossed)

With that said.... I realize that playing in the NHL is what these guys have been dreaming about since the day they first started playing hockey, if not earlier. And that the money is appealing... and he'll probably sign... But staying here isn't such a bad option either :silly: