SiouxSports.com Forum

UND's best all time line?

Sioux17

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then I will say not jokingly that it is time for bed, but since you have so definitively defeated my original pick, I will take the DOT line. You seem to take these posts very personally, which is fine if that is what you are into, but I do it to keep in touch with fellow Sioux fans and keep up on the latest news. I will concede to your superior knowledge of Sioux hockey. There are many fans, including you, who know much more than I do on the subject. You should heed some of your own advice about winning and losing with grace, though I enjoy alot of your posts here on SS.com. I'll wave the white flag on our previous discussion... and go Fighting Sioux!!

I have no idea what you're talking about. Murray signed a pro contract to play in a Swiss league after his sophomore season in 2005. He had dual Canadian-U.S. citizenship. I know he spent some time in Europe when his father coached over there.

well im sorry you dont know what im talking about, but trust me, I know what im talking about because i talked to Brady PER-SON-AL-LY and he told me what was going on. but once again that was over a year ago, and i dont have it memorized exactly what it was called word for word, so im sorry im not the all-knowing PCM, but im the knows-enough-thanks-to-talking-to-BRADY-himself ecuhockeyguy...... :silly:???

Well in my opinion (because I never say Hrkac play, wasn't alive) here would be my top:

I can't remember who exactly were official linemates, but you can prolly tell where I'm going with it.

Bull Armbrust Blake Hoogsteen (both) Panzer Kallay , etc...

What can I say, I'm hooked on the 97 season. It was the only season that I didn't miss a game, and had some crazy games and the occasional stomping ( like a 12+ goal game with 70+ shots on net). So basically any line from that season would be my pick.

The strength of the 96-97 thru 98-99 teams was depth. We didn't have one good line we had three lines that were dynamic. One shift would get over and the next wouldn't miss a beat.

I'd have to say the Hrkac's circus. You just knew those guys were going to score. Someone said that was a time of offense, well scoring wise that is true but it was also a rougher time.

Prior to that I didn't really keep track of what folks were playing together. Certainly the line that Sykes played on was great.

I don't think I'd say the DOT line is better than the Parise, Bochenski and Murray. On the other hand if they played under the new rules I think they would have scored a lot more. Parise was mugged everytime he was on the ice.

Hrkac Circus gets my vote with second going to DOT. Does anyone remember the BC Connection from the mid 70's? I think Rick Zaparniuk was the center, but I'll be darned if I can remember who else was on the line with him. They were all from British Columbia, hence the name. They were pretty good and the moniker made some headlines.

Edit: And who was on the line with Eades and Sykes. That was a pretty darn good line. tnt, you should know this one. ???

1. Hrkac Circus, hands down. I wish everyone could have a chance to see their highlight reel because they were incredible. Hrkac alone had 114 points in 1986-87. DOT line just broke 100 points for the year several weeks ago. I know it is a different game today but the Hrkac line stands alone. I seem to recall a weekend at Michigan Tech where this line had 30 points in the two games.

2. Taylor, Smail, and Sykes - This was when Sykes was a freshman I believe and as a group they had over 200 points. IIRC Taylor and Smail had at least 8 short-handed goals that year. Tayor and Smail both had 80+ points.

3. DOT

Let's face it, the Sioux have been blessed with many fine players and we are spoiled to the point where we expect it.

well im sorry you dont know what im talking about, but trust me, I know what im talking about because i talked to Brady PER-SON-AL-LY and he told me what was going on. but once again that was over a year ago, and i dont have it memorized exactly what it was called word for word, so im sorry im not the all-knowing PCM, but im the knows-enough-thanks-to-talking-to-BRADY-himself ecuhockeyguy...... :silly:???

That's great, but it has nothing whatsoever to do with the discussion of who played on what line with Parise.

Then I will say not jokingly that it is time for bed, but since you have so definitively defeated my original pick, I will take the DOT line. You seem to take these posts very personally, which is fine if that is what you are into, but I do it to keep in touch with fellow Sioux fans and keep up on the latest news.

People correct my faulty memory all the time, both here and on the USCHO board. I don't get my shorts in a bunch about it. Why? Because I'd rather have people read accurate, factual information. If someone points out that I posted something that was incorrect, I'd prefer that the record be set straight.

Edited by PCM
Because

People correct my faulty memory all the time, both here and on the USCHO board. I don't get my panties in a bunch about it. Why? Because I'd rather have people read accurate, factual information. If someone points out that I posted something that was incorrect, I'd prefer that the record be set straight.

You wear panties?

The Hrkac Circus hands down,Hrkac with 116 points,not 114(sorry Siouxman) Bob Joyce with 52 goals and Tony with 46. This line also switched wingers from Johnson and Bobyck during the season,seems like all the great line have two main parts and the third can be interchangable. Hrkac-Joyce, Panzer-Lundbohm, G.Johnson-Romaniuk,Parise-Bochenski and Toews-Oshie. How about best checking line? My pick would be Ulmer-Calder-Henderson from that 97 team.

Not even close - sorry - maybe if they stick around for 4 yrs - they could be even better - Hrkac Circus was truely dominant

Johnson & Joyce had #'s good enough to compare to Duncan alone - Tony was like a alien from another more advanced planet

1. Hrkac Circus, hands down. I wish everyone could have a chance to see their highlight reel because they were incredible. Hrkac alone had 114 points in 1986-87. DOT line just broke 100 points for the year several weeks ago. I know it is a different game today but the Hrkac line stands alone. I seem to recall a weekend at Michigan Tech where this line had 30 points in the two games.

2. Taylor, Smail, and Sykes - This was when Sykes was a freshman I believe and as a group they had over 200 points. IIRC Taylor and Smail had at least 8 short-handed goals that year. Tayor and Smail both had 80+ points.

3. DOT

Let's face it, the Sioux have been blessed with many fine players and we are spoiled to the point where we expect it.

Thanks, I couldn't remember if it was Smail or Taylor on that line. I remember all of the shorties Smail used to get. Amazing.

Edit: Sorry, I misread your response. Weren't Sykes and Eades on a line together or was that after Smail and Taylor left?

Best line in Sioux Hockey history:

" ... and many false prophets will follow." -- Hrkac 46-70-116

Best checking line in Sioux Hockey history:

2000 (and it's three freshmen): Kevin Spiewak, Jason Notermann, Ryan Hale, with

The Magnificent Sev..., er, Two (and a friend) not far behind: Lee Marvin, James Massen, Brian Canady.

I still say Hale's (shoulder) injury in 2001 was the key that prevented a repeat title. ???

Best line in Sioux Hockey history:

" ... and many false prophets will follow." -- Hrkac 46-70-116

Best checking line in Sioux Hockey history:

2000 (and it's three freshmen): Kevin Spiewak, Jason Notermann, Ryan Hale, with

The Magnificent Sev..., er, Two (and a friend) not far behind: Lee Marvin, James Massen, Brian Canady.

I still say Hale's (shoulder) injury in 2001 was the key that prevented a repeat title. :silly:

???

The 3 horsemen. Eric Fabian, James Massen, Brian Canady.

The 3 horsemen. Eric Fabian, James Massen, Brian Canady.

I know Massen and Canady skated together.

Marvin skated with those two for a couple games when Fabian was dinged. I probably crossed the wires.

I just like the movie connection: Lee Marvin, James Massen (Mason). ???

Wasn't that the Massen, Canady and Fabian line from 2005?

That is the correct line. Great checking line.

3. DOT

No one mentions the Line of Fire much (Panzer, Lundbohm, Bayda) but they had that name for a reason. That 2001 team really was carried by that line. I did vote for Hrkac Circus because that's obvious, but in the discussion of the next best lines I think the LOF should be in the mix. I never saw the Taylor/Smail/Sykes line play but from everything I hear and read they certainly deserve recognition.

One reason to not vote for the Circus is that it was not really a single line. Hrkac and Joyce played with a couple of different players. An interesting side not is that had a tragedy not occurred that line and team may have been even better...

Hrkac line was the best, without question. I am frustrated in that I do not remember the 3rd person from that line. I know it was Hrkac and Joyce, but wasn't Steve Johnson on that line too or was it Scott Dub? I have not lived in ND since high school - 1986 - and I have not had the benefit of following Sioux hockey as closely as I would have liked for many years. I did not see it on the board but I presume the "money line" was Parise, Bochenski, Stafford? The Hrkac line beat on every line, including the Millen line from Minnesota. Unbelievable line from what I can remember.

The Goren/Bayda/Ulmer line wasn't as flashy as the aforementioned, but they sure got the job done in 2000. They get my vote.

I hate rain on everybody's parade but there is no comparison between the players of today and the players from 20 or 30 years ago. The DOT line is hands down more talented than any of the previously mentioned lines. Players are stronger, faster, shoot harder, better coached, better conditioned, etc, etc, etc. The old boys scored a lot of goals because the goaltending was basically terrible compared to today's goalies and there was really no organized defence to speak of. Some of the aforementioned players would have a very difficult time even cracking a modern WCHA lineup. And if you don't believe me, than ask one of these old guys. I'm sure they would tell you the same thing.

I agree with some of what you say Vegas... but all of the aforementioned players would start on a WCHA team, any time, lets not get crazy. Hrkac's numbers won't ever be touched, and as mentioned earlier, most of the "best line" nominies were two horses with an able body filling the third slot (like Parise, Bochenski... ). I like the Goren/Bayda/Ulmer line, good darkhorse in this discussion. I don't think you can base this solely on numbers, otherwise there would be no discussion. I still think when we look back on this in ten years, we can say that the DOT line might be the most solid line (all three) who skated together.