SiouxSports.com Forum

Departures

siouxhockey5

• Replies 453
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think ko is gone too. and i hope that goli will leave too. as a note to anyone who doesnt know this already...if you want to read up on gopher players go to Gopher Puck Live. they have a lot of solid info like goon just posted.

Good one! :silly:

I would say the odds are about the same for Gollygoski based on this TSN article:

http://www.tsn.ca/fantasy_news/columnists/...me=fantasy_news

I'm interested in hearing your reasoning as to why you think Goligoski is a 95% chance to leave based on that article. The article didn't talk about him, didn't talk about the need to immediately sign their prospects. Is it just wishful thinking on your part or do you seriously get the 95% chance of Goligoski signing from that article? If you actually get that from the article, can I have some of the same stuff you're smoking? :silly:

I'm interested in hearing your reasoning as to why you think Goligoski is a 95% chance to leave based on that article. The article didn't talk about him, didn't talk about the need to immediately sign their prospects. Is it just wishful thinking on your part or do you seriously get the 95% chance of Goligoski signing from that article? If you actually get that from the article, can I have some of the same stuff you're smoking? :silly:

Absolutely,

Look at how many signed D-men the Pens have in the D-man section, for those who don't want to read the whole analysis it is only 3. Look at the quality of the unsigned D-men (most of whom are unrestricted free agents) and consider what Pittsburgh greatest weakness was all season. They would like to be able to sign some top caliber free agent D-men unfortunately every off season very few become available and those who are typically demand top dollar. Therefore, it is stating the obvious that the team is going to have to look for solutions from within. Specifically, they have the top WCHA D-man Golly and the top D-man in the QMJHL Letang ready and able to go at a fraction of the cost for free agents who may or may not be available. I don't smoke but I do like my beer and Scotch. What are you smoking that you think they wouldn't try and sign him under the circumstances. Cheers.

Absolutely,

Look at how many signed D-men the Pens have in the D-man section, for those who don't want to read the whole analysis it is only 3. Look at the quality of the unsigned D-men (most of whom are unrestricted free agents) and consider what Pittsburgh greatest weakness was all season. They would like to be able to sign some top caliber free agent D-men unfortunately every off season very few become available and those who are typically demand top dollar. Therefore, it is stating the obvious that the team is going to have to look for solutions from within. Specifically, they have the top WCHA D-man Golly and the top D-man in the QMJHL Letang ready and able to go at a fraction of the cost for free agents who may or may not be available. I don't smoke but I do like my beer and Scotch. What are you smoking that you think they wouldn't try and sign him under the circumstances. Cheers.

Even if he signs, Goligoski likely won't play in the NHL this year, or at least not until much later in the season, so your argument of Pittsburgh only having three NHL defensemen in the fold doesn't hold a lot of water. Obviously they'd love to have a player of his caliber in their farm system, but his shoulder injury is likely what is complicating things. According to a recent article, he won't be able to practice with any sort of contact until October. IMO, his signing or not will come down to whether or not he and the Penguins think he can better rehab his shoulder playing in the WCHA or the AHL next season. An optimist would say that he would have more time to rehab his shoulder while in college (2 games per week, less travel time, etc.). But on the other hand, if the money is right, it may be worth rehabbing your shoulder while riding the bus in the minors. We'll know soon.

Even if he signs, Goligoski likely won't play in the NHL this year, or at least not until much later in the season, so your argument of Pittsburgh only having three NHL defensemen in the fold doesn't hold a lot of water. Obviously they'd love to have a player of his caliber in their farm system, but his shoulder injury is likely what is complicating things. According to a recent article, he won't be able to practice with any sort of contact until October. IMO, his signing or not will come down to whether or not he and the Penguins think he can better rehab his shoulder playing in the WCHA or the AHL next season. An optimist would say that he would have more time to rehab his shoulder while in college (2 games per week, less travel time, etc.). But on the other hand, if the money is right, it may be worth rehabbing your shoulder while riding the bus in the minors. We'll know soon.

Sure there will have to be rehab and it may start with a stint in the minors. However, I also believe that the top D-man in the WCHA for any given year is ready to step directly into most NHL team lineups. How much minor league time did the likes of Carle, Preissing, Suter and Leopold have over the past several years? You are correct that money will likey decide the outcome anyway.

Another way to look at it is if Pittsburgh doesn't sign him now he can sit out for a few months and become a free agent and sign wth who ever he chooses. He would look good on the blue line with Martin in Jersey.

??? Because playing with Sid would suck? :0:silly:

I don't think even the Triouxper could say that with a straight face. On USCHO someone posted a long time ago about Goligoski having some issues with Pittsburgh. Playing with the "Next One" would suck :silly::0

Why does someone always have to drag me into this s&!t? ???

I don't think even the Triouxper could say that with a straight face. On USCHO someone posted a long time ago about Goligoski having some issues with Pittsburgh. Playing with the "Next One" would suck :silly::0

Depending on the type of issues they always have the option of trading him for a D-man who is willing and ready to step in right away. But who in their right mind would pass up the opportunity to play on a team that is going to win the Cup in the very near term. ???

Sure there will have to be rehab and it may start with a stint in the minors. However, I also believe that the top D-man in the WCHA for any given year is ready to step directly into most NHL team lineups. How much minor league time did the likes of Carle, Preissing, Suter and Leopold have over the past several years? You are correct that money will likey decide the outcome anyway.

Carle and Goligoski are two players who play a pretty similar style, IMO. Goligoski is listed at 6' 0", 187 lbs, which is pretty much the same size Carle was listed as entering his junior year (6'0", 190 lbs.). Carle put up 53 points during his junior year and won the Hobey; Goligoski put up 39 points on a better team that scored over 100 more points (goals and assists) as a team than Carle's junior year Denver team. Goligoski also played in five more games. Carle signed just days after his junior season at Denver ended and played in the NHL regular season and playoffs with San Jose. Goligoski had major shoulder surgery and, like I said, won't be able to practice with contact until October, or seven months after Carle was a regular on his NHL team at the same point in their respective careers.

My main point is that while Goligoski was a top defenseman in the WCHA last year, by the end of the season, he wasn't THE top defenseman like those guys you mentioned were during their final years in college.

Goligoski had major shoulder surgery and, like I said, won't be able to practice with contact until October, or seven months after Carle was a regular on his NHL team at the same point in their respective careers.

My main point is that while Goligoski was a top defenseman in the WCHA last year, by the end of the season, he wasn't THE top defenseman like those guys you mentioned were during their final years in college.

Personally I hope he comes back but one check from Finley or VV and he could be the next Hagemo. Could be a gamble to return.